ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The boy snuck out Saturday night/Sunday morning

It may be totally innocent and hope it is, but when my nephew lived with me he started sneaking out at night, and it turned out he had a serious drinking problem. He would never admit what he was doing when caught going out, but the fall out started to rear its ugly head soon enough. Really push to find out if drugs or alcohol are involved.....if it's just a girl fine....but be careful.

Or… they’re very good at it? ;)
Only one of them would be a possibility. My oldest is 21 and when she came home from college this summer I had to sit down with her and tell her that she was an adult and could come and go as she pleases without asking us. Third is afraid of the dark and the fourth doesn’t have anywhere to go. The second one has the rebellious side so if any of them did, it would be her.

Reactions: Jerry and CVLion
Only one of them would be a possibility. My oldest is 21 and when she came home from college this summer I had to sit down with her and tell her that she was an adult and could come and go as she pleases without asking us. Third is afraid of the dark and the fourth doesn’t have anywhere to go. The second one has the rebellious side sonic any of them did, it would be her.
I was the first of four kids, and #2 was the rebellious one in our family too. It’s middle child syndrome. :)

Reactions: Jerry
Same here…I never snuck out, I was too afraid of my dad.
Never snuck out, but had visitors sneak in. Kept the garage door propped open about 2 feet ( no garage door opener) my room was in the finished basement next to the garage. I was 18 or 19, it was during summer. One of my girlfriends parked down the road off the street walked up to the driveway, under the garage door. The next morning I go upstairs for breakfast, my dad is sitting at the kitchen table reading the newspaper. I get something to eat sit down at the table. From behind the paper I hear. “That’s kind of rude, are you going to offer Andrea any breakfast?” We had a discussion later…

Aaahhh, what the he(double hockey sticks)! I can remember a whole mess of us Tamaqua kids sneaking out with a few bottles of yuenglings and meeting up at the park. None of us ever ended up doing hard time. It is just part of the right of passage!
PS...and I do mean way more often than once!

Last edited:
Well what do you think he was going to do on a sleepover that he hadn’t already done during the day, probably multiple times ….

Right, that's a valid and obvious point.

But there's a difference between on the one hand knowing that a kid will test or break the rules, which is a given (with some kids more than others), and on the other hand appearing to condone, cooperate with, or wink at this.

Every kid is different. Some get with the program from day one. Some test the waters. Some rebel. But if you attempt to instill in them a set of values...model those values as parents...suffer with them as they struggle...never give up on them or give in to them...then sooner or later, things will likely work out well.

Of course, by the time that happens, you will have torn out all your hair and been driven clean out of your mind... ;)

.... I'm usually sleeping by 10:30 P.M. most days. Since Penn State won I decided to watch late sports coverage to indulge in the positive media attention. I go to the garage to get a seltzer and the lights were on... with- in seconds he pops from behind the car on his phone. This was around 1:00 am, I was so startled I told him to make sure he turns the lights out.

(Figured he was talking to a girl) He was.

Sure enough, Mom wakes up around 5:00 am her phone was pinging. He used an uber the confirmation went to Mom's phone. This means or ='s BUSTED.

He attempts to lie, during the Uber ride home, claims he's walking on the Chester valley trail. The lie was admirable but to no avail. GPS on Cell phones gave us the itinerary

He's grounded until Mom says otherwise.

The best part is he used Pillows under his cover to simulate a person sleeping.

Shalom,

Want to make him regret it? Have that special talk with him every time he does something like that.

newFile-1.jpg

.... I'm usually sleeping by 10:30 P.M. most days. Since Penn State won I decided to watch late sports coverage to indulge in the positive media attention. I go to the garage to get a seltzer and the lights were on... with- in seconds he pops from behind the car on his phone. This was around 1:00 am, I was so startled I told him to make sure he turns the lights out.

(Figured he was talking to a girl) He was.

Sure enough, Mom wakes up around 5:00 am her phone was pinging. He used an uber the confirmation went to Mom's phone. This means or ='s BUSTED.

He attempts to lie, during the Uber ride home, claims he's walking on the Chester valley trail. The lie was admirable but to no avail. GPS on Cell phones gave us the itinerary

He's grounded until Mom says otherwise.

The best part is he used Pillows under his cover to simulate a person sleeping.

Shalom,
I used that same tactic with my wife l could have saved him the trouble

How old? Not sure I agree with stalking a kids Uber usage and then punishing them. Makes them more likely to accept a ride home from some who’s been drinking, or drive drunk themselves, in order to avoid your detection.

He's Thirteen, 14 next month (Maybe, according to Mom). Youngest boy (12 going to be 13 in Feb) is in his Glory because he has his phone, and I-Pad, can watch tv, play outside and his brother can't. Grin from ear to ear like the Grinch when he found out about the incident.

Reactions: odshowtime
Never snuck out, but had visitors sneak in. Kept the garage door propped open about 2 feet ( no garage door opener) my room was in the finished basement next to the garage. I was 18 or 19, it was during summer. One of my girlfriends parked down the road off the street walked up to the driveway, under the garage door. The next morning I go upstairs for breakfast, my dad is sitting at the kitchen table reading the newspaper. I get something to eat sit down at the table. From behind the paper I hear. “That’s kind of rude, are you going to offer Andrea any breakfast?” We had a discussion later…
I didn’t have to do that…my parents divorced and I lived with my dad…he was usually gone on the weekends and if he was home, he didn’t care. He said, “Don’t get anyone pregnant and don’t have anyone’s dad coming after you with a gun…outside of that, I don’t want to know about it.”

Unless if was with your daughter.
Exactly. I had a woman I worked with and she had two sons….she couldn’t understand why the father of her oldest son’s girlfriend was so strict since her son was very respectful and polite. I said because it’s his daughter and it doesn’t matter who the boy is. I have a daughter and she didn’t, so I didn’t expect her to understand.

I don't know how kids snuck out all night and then went to school the next day. Sure I screwed off like everyone else, but not having enough sleep is miserable.
I rarely slept when I was young except I slept in on weekends. I could stay up late, get up early for school and be ready to go. Now that I’m old, I need some sleep, but I’m up early every day.

As a high school teacher, I can assure you that these kids usually catch up on their sleep while at school

I was honestly too lazy to sneak out late or skip classes it was all just too much work. Go to school fake your way through it and get home ASAP. That's the way.

I didn’t have to do that…my parents divorced and I lived with my dad…he was usually gone on the weekends and if he was home, he didn’t care. He said, “Don’t get anyone pregnant and don’t have anyone’s dad coming after you with a gun…outside of that, I don’t want to know about it.”
Pretty much the discussion my dad had with me afterward.

ADVERTISEMENT