ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The boy snuck out Saturday night/Sunday morning

Mr. Potter

Dec 27, 2004
.... I'm usually sleeping by 10:30 P.M. most days. Since Penn State won I decided to watch late sports coverage to indulge in the positive media attention. I go to the garage to get a seltzer and the lights were on... with- in seconds he pops from behind the car on his phone. This was around 1:00 am, I was so startled I told him to make sure he turns the lights out.

(Figured he was talking to a girl) He was.

Sure enough, Mom wakes up around 5:00 am her phone was pinging. He used an uber the confirmation went to Mom's phone. This means or ='s BUSTED.

He attempts to lie, during the Uber ride home, claims he's walking on the Chester valley trail. The lie was admirable but to no avail. GPS on Cell phones gave us the itinerary

He's grounded until Mom says otherwise.

The best part is he used Pillows under his cover to simulate a person sleeping.

Shalom,

.... I'm usually sleeping by 10:30 P.M. most days. Since Penn State won I decided to watch late sports coverage to indulge in the positive media attention. I go to the garage to get a seltzer and the lights were on... with- in seconds he pops from behind the car on his phone. This was around 1:00 am, I was so startled I told him to make sure he turns the lights out.

Sure enough, Mom wakes up around 5:00 am her phone was pinging. He used an uber the confirmation went to Mom's phone. This means or ='s BUSTED.

He attempts to lie, during the Uber ride home, claims he's walking on the Chester valley trail. The lie was admirable but to no avail. GPS on Cell phones gave us the itinerary

Shalom,
Hard to lie nowadays with technology. When I was a kid, we always used the “I’m sleeping over at so and so’s house” lie to get out and my parents never checked. They either trusted me or didn’t give a sh!t.

One of my former law partners could sniff this sort of thing out from miles away. Once, he thought his son was feigning illness to stay home from school and do something else. So he said ok fine, but on the way out the door, he placed a reasonably sized twig under the rear passenger wheel of the car. Sure enough, when he got home, the twig was broken and out of place. Then, being a lawyer, he began his direct examination of the witness, all the while giving the boy more and more rope by which to hang himself, which the boy gladly accepted.

Shalom,
LOL...my daughter snuck out a couple of months ago. She had a kid drive up and pick her up. We have a Ring so she had him pull up without his headlights on and she went out the side door. I heard the dog whining (it was sad she left and was at the door). I noticed it was unlocked so let the dog out and then locked it, figuring that why the dog was whining). At 5am I wondered why the dog was out and not in its normal place and went to her bedroom to notice she wasn't home. I then check my "Life 360 app" and noticed she was at her girlfriend's house. She wasn't answering her phone so I called her GF who did answer. I went and picked her up. Turns out, validated by Life 360, the boy tried to get her to go get some weed and beer...clearly hoping to score. She got mad and made him take her home. When she got home she couldn't get in because I had locked all the doors. She didn't want to open the garage door knowing it would wake us up. I have no idea how she thought she was going to sneak back into the house, I think she was just afraid of the confrontation.

Happy she is safe and she learned a great lesson (I hope).
d40990789bfcbd5dacc6904dea410defa1825638.gifv

True… but it’s also much easier for them to get dirty pictures and videos than it was for us. So I guess that’s a wash on the teen shenanigans front?
We had to hide dirty magazines if we were lucky enough to get them in the first place.

Reactions: 91Joe95 and CVLion
We had to hide dirty magazines if we were lucky enough to get them in the first place.
I used to hide them in the attic under the insulation. It was in HS in early 1980s.

When my mother sold the house in 2004 I realized after settlement that I forgot to get them out. Ooops….

Last edited:
I used to hide them in the attic under the insulation. It was in HS in early 1980s.

Wren my mother sold the house in 2002 I realized after settlement that I forgot to get them out. Ooops….
I used to hide them under my bedside table along with my cans of chewing tobacco until one day my mom decided she needed to finally vacuum under the table…ooops.

Reactions: CVLion
LOL...my daughter snuck out a couple of months ago. She had a kid drive up and pick her up. We have a Ring so she had him pull up without his headlights on and she went out the side door. I heard the dog whining (it was sad she left and was at the door). I noticed it was unlocked so let the dog out and then locked it, figuring that why the dog was whining). At 5am I wondered why the dog was out and not in its normal place and went to her bedroom to notice she wasn't home. I then check my "Life 360 app" and noticed she was at her girlfriend's house. She wasn't answering her phone so I called her GF who did answer. I went and picked her up. Turns out, validated by Life 360, the boy tried to get her to go get some weed and beer...clearly hoping to score. She got mad and made him take her home. When she got home she couldn't get in because I had locked all the doors. She didn't want to open the garage door knowing it would wake us up. I have no idea how she thought she was going to sneak back into the house, I think she was just afraid of the confrontation.

Happy she is safe and she learned a great lesson (I hope).
d40990789bfcbd5dacc6904dea410defa1825638.gifv

Yeah, make sure to leave a window unlocked.

When I was in fourth grade I told my mother I was not feeling well. I was fine but I did not want to go to school. She told me to go back to bed. She was RN and a former army nurse in WW II. About 10 am she got me up and then I was introduced to an Enema for the first time in my life. I went to school that afternoon and for the rest of my education I never claimed I was too sick to go to school. There were times I did not feel well and a few times I was sent home by the nurse but I never initiated a complaint again.

How old? Not sure I agree with stalking a kids Uber usage and then punishing them. Makes them more likely to accept a ride home from some who’s been drinking, or drive drunk themselves, in order to avoid your detection.

Reactions: pandaczar12
Many long years ago, one of my sons, age 18, asked to borrow one of the cars to visit his girlfriend, a college freshman, on her campus about 60 miles away. Problem was the forecast called for a major snowstorm to arrive in the evening...and he well knew we would not approve the notion of a sleepover there under any circumstances.

I hesitated but said OK, just make sure you're home by 8:00 to beat the storm. He promised that he would be.

As predictable as the sunrise, he calls at 7:00 to say it had already started to snow heavily there and could he stay over the night...not with the girl, he assured us. Right.

I said, here's the deal: get your ass in the car and drive it home...now...and I don't care if you have to drive through the blizzard of the century to get here.

Later that evening, his Mom and I went to bed...woke up early in the morning...looked outside...and there was the car half-buried in snow...and my son tucked away in bed. Darned if he didn't make it. I had to admire that.

He told us that it had been quite the adventure navigating I-95 in the snow. Yet he learned a couple important things that night: A) don't bullshit Dad; and B) how to drive in snow. The latter lesson has stood him in good stead his whole young life.

Reactions: lions1995

Shalom,
Reminds me of the night my then 16 year old son climbed out his 2nd floor bedroom window on a rope. My 12 year old daughter came downstairs while I was watching the news and said her brother was missing out of his bedroom and a rope was hanging out the window. Busted!

Shalom,
Haha. Bless his heart! I love that kid!

• Haha
Reactions: Creek Side
Many long years ago, one of my sons, age 18, asked to borrow one of the cars to visit his girlfriend, a college freshman, on her campus about 60 miles away. Problem was the forecast called for a major snowstorm to arrive in the evening...and he well knew we would not approve the notion of a sleepover there under any circumstances.

I hesitated but said OK, just make sure you're home by 8:00 to beat the storm. He promised that he would be.

As predictable as the sunrise, he calls at 7:00 to say it had already started to snow heavily there and could he stay over the night...not with the girl, he assured us. Right.

I said, here's the deal: get your ass in the car and drive it home...now...and I don't care if you have to drive through the blizzard of the century to get here.

Later that evening, his Mom and I went to bed...woke up early in the morning...looked outside...and there was the car half-buried in snow...and my son tucked away in bed. Darned if he didn't make it. I had to admire that.

He told us that it had been quite the adventure navigating I-95 in the snow. Yet he learned a couple important things that night: A) don't bullshit Dad; and B) how to drive in snow. The latter lesson has stood him in good stead his whole young life.
Don't think I'd brag about putting my son in danger, just saying

Don't think I'd brag about putting my son in danger, just saying

Yeah, that's one way of looking at it...and maybe it's right. The experts today would certainly say so.

But at the time, I judged that he was playing fast and loose with the rules...counting on a snowstorm that had been in the forecast for two days to score a sleepover with the girlfriend after we told him to make sure he departed campus before the flakes started falling.

Who knows, maybe at the end of the day, it proved a useful experience in growing up.

I raised six kids who all somehow turned into productive citizens despite my benighted approach to parenting. Goes to show that luck and a good woman can compensate for a lot of things.

Yeah, that's one way of looking at it...and maybe it's right. The experts today would certainly say so.

But at the time, I judged that he was playing fast and loose with the rules...counting on a snowstorm that had been in the forecast for two days to score a sleepover with the girlfriend after we told him to make sure he departed campus before the flakes started falling.

Who knows, maybe at the end of the day, it proved a useful experience in growing up.

I raised six kids who all somehow turned into productive citizens despite my benighted approach to parenting. Goes to show that luck and a good woman can compensate for a lot of things.
Well what do you think he was going to do on a sleepover that he hadn’t already done during the day, probably multiple times ….

No need to explain yourself. It's not worth it.

Shalom,
I used to sneak out of my house and ride my skateboard clear across town to see a Betty. No Uber in those days. Had to leg it there and back and climb through the bedroom window. Garbage cans made a good ladder. (True story 😆)

Reactions: NedFromYork

I agree that I probably wouldn’t have had him drive, but I lost my brother to a car accident, so I’m a bit paranoid about it. But maybe driving in a snowstorm was such a fearful experience it taught him to be very careful in the snow. I learned a lot of driving lessons trying to drive through blizzards. The other good news is that if it was snowing that bad he would have been going slow so a wreck would have likely been a fender bender or going into a ditch.

• Sad
Reactions: The Spin Meister
My children have never snuck out of the house (yet). Nor did I as a kid. I never had a curfew so I guess I never had a need to sneak around.

Last edited:
I didn’t realize how hard a time I gave my dad until I had teenagers of my own.
Good point. I have one child, a daughter now an adult, but seeing and hearing what she tried to do at times as a kid made me realize just how much my parents - more so my Dad - let me get away with. They either knew I wasn't going to go "too far", &/or because my Dad (a WWII veteran) had a pretty high tolerance for boys doing boys stuff that would not involve long-term consequences.

So when my generally good and respectful daughter would make an obvious lie or lame excuse, I would call it out, but would re-set the expectations knowing she was not going to tell me exactly what her plans were. Her best friend in HS was also a very good and respectful girl, so I knew their thrill was more in the idea of getting away with something minor vs. actually getting into real trouble. Plus, less stress for me if I didn't overreact, which I came to realize was part of my Dad's strategy with me, and probably with my older brother.

Reactions: Jerry

Shalom,

I'm sure it's annoying to deal with as parents - but I have to give your kid credit, sounds like he scored and that's always a good thing.

Reactions: odshowtime
I think the appropriate response from his dad is to chew him out in front of his mother with a discreet wink, and an "atta boy" when she leaves. :)

Reactions: The Spin Meister
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT