ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The All-American Rathskeller: From Prohibition To Ponies

Thats a great read. Had no idea that if not for the Skeller.......

..........there'd likely be no Yuengling Lager.

Reactions: WyomingLion
HAPPY HOUR...people in the 80's would

"In the late 80s, we used to have a line to get into the Skeller by one o'clock in the afternoon, because happy hours on Fridays were big back then," Gastiger recalled.

"Everybody would come from class, and you'd share a case of Rocks with a bunch of buddies. It was easy because you could have one or two [ponies]and then go about your day."

"Culturally, what has changed is the time that students go out. It's not unusual to not get a crowd until 10:30 or 11 o'clock at night," Gastiger said. "That's not always the way it was. People would come out earlier in the mid-afternoon around 3 or 5 o'clock and have some beers and then go home to have dinner, and then come out again around 10 o'clock."

Today, the focus has shifted to drinking, rather than talking and socializing much like it was in the 80s and 90s.

"The times between happy hours in the afternoon were fun times because people came to here to talk and have a drink," Gastiger said. "It was much more social. People didn't always come out with the idea of getting drunk."

So, true. I find that the youth today can't relax and converse over drinks. The idea of drinking and socializing WITHOUT the intent to get plastered is a foreign concept to the youth of today.

So glad I went to college when I did. The only thing I wish I had back then that students have today was the internet. Other than that, I loved growing up during the time that I did. The only better generation I can think of is the 60's.

I carved my initials in the bathroom wall the night I turned 21

in 1966. For decades I could show people my dated initials, but a couple of summers ago they remodeled the bathrooms a bit. The only cut away a few panels, but, unfortunately, my intitials fell victim.

I'm also pretty sure the article has the original Rolling Rock case price wrong. I distinctly remember paying $3.75 a case (or two ponies for 35 cents).

Reactions: FHSPSU67
Late 70’s....case of ponies 5$ plus 50 cents deposit on a bottle opener led to great fun

I started out in the skellar in 1965. After serving 4 years in USAF, I returned to PSU and became a very close friend of Johnny O. I remember him buying the skellar around 1980 and he sold it approximately 6 or 7 years later. Unfortunately, Johnny O. succumbed to cancer. Great guy and a bar filled with years of memories.

Reactions: lj4heisman1
I have lots of memories at the Skeller. Last day of finals drinking Boxes of Rocks and playing pool with friends requiring me to delay my 3 hour drive home by a day. Lunch having a beer and sandwich with classmates. Returning for the Arts Fest as the first bar we hit. Phi Psi (which I participated in during 1979 and 1980 - an inaccuracy in the article). Etc., etc.

Ah....the skeller, part of my PSU legacy! One beautiful "Gentle Thursday," after sharing and consuming unknown volumes of beer and wine on the Old Main lawn, go down to the skellar for lunch and share another pitcher. Leaving I request a "six pack" and the dude wants to card me. I point and state, somewhat disgustingly, "I've been sitting there drinking a pitcher with my lunch for 45 minutes!" He disgustingly, double takes leaving but does. My friend says, "Apologize, he is from back home!" I do, stating, "I'm just drunk!" however, he says, "Just get out!" to which I reply "chuck you farley!" Around he comes! Out in that little area at the entrance we go. I administer the perfect "one leg", as he has totally faded jeans on. I got several shots in then pulled off, over in a minute or so!

Reactions: WyomingLion
In 1974 my friends and I were regulars at the Skeller. One night after consuming several cases of pony bottles, the bartender announced closing. My friend (very drunk) says he isn’t ready to go and wants another beer. The bartender says sorry time to close. Mike jumps up and states that if he wants him to leave he will have to “make me.” The bartender jumps over the bar (we were seated along the wall by the street) and knocks Mike cold! We pick him up and carry him out.

Known to most as simply the Skeller, the State College staple opened its doors on November 9, 1933, three days after the end of prohibition in the United States.

On December 5, 1933, the 21st Amendment was ratified,
as announced in this proclamation from President Franklin D. Roosevelt.

Me confused!

Known to most as simply the Skeller, the State College staple opened its doors on November 9, 1933, three days after the end of prohibition in the United States.

On December 5, 1933, the 21st Amendment was ratified,
as announced in this proclamation from President Franklin D. Roosevelt.

Me confused!
Accuracy is not the author's strong suit. Like the guy who bought the place in 1934, operated it for 35 years, and sold it in 1958. Wha?

Reactions: psu1969a
Ah....the skeller, part of my PSU legacy! One beautiful "Gentle Thursday," after sharing and consuming unknown volumes of beer and wine on the Old Main lawn, go down to the skellar for lunch and share another pitcher. Leaving I request a "six pack" and the dude wants to card me. I point and state, somewhat disgustingly, "I've been sitting there drinking a pitcher with my lunch for 45 minutes!" He disgustingly, double takes leaving but does. My friend says, "Apologize, he is from back home!" I do, stating, "I'm just drunk!" however, he says, "Just get out!" to which I reply "chuck you farley!" Around he comes! Out in that little area at the entrance we go. I administer the perfect "one leg", as he has totally faded jeans on. I got several shots in then pulled off, over in a minute or so!
were you on the same drunk when you wrote this?

were you on the same drunk when you wrote this?
Or the other 10 times it’s been told...

Great memories of the Skeller. I attended the U of So. Carolina for two years and then went in the USMC. When I returned and enrolled at PSU to finish my undergraduate degree I was a little older, had a nice car and some money in my pocket. Those were the best two years of my life, and many a pony was downed in the Skeller.

The only thing that made it even more nostalgic for me was the knowledge that my Dad was a regular customer way back in late 1930’s before he went off to WW2.

Reactions: MtNittany
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT