ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Terrific New Yorker article on hangover cures.

I was always amused at the notion of the big greasy breakfast. One unhealthy act fixing another? Placebo effect perhaps.
A good work out and lots of water are the only things that ever helped me, but still don't immediately cure the hangover.

“Never been hungover. After I've had too much whiskey, I cook myself a large flank steak, pan-fried in salted butter. I eat that, put on a pair of wet socks and go to sleep.”

8dd732ff2bc4d3493ebeb53a47b9be71.gif

I knew a corpsman who drank a little. He kept a small oxygen bottle and mask in his locker.

as a pretty heavy partyer in my 20's, i had a great hangover cure, typically always worked and simple.

when you get home, take the biggest glass you have in the cupboard fill it with water and drink it, the get two multi-vitamins, refill the big glass of water and drink another glass. When you wake up in morning, go get another multi-vitamin and eat it along with another two glasses of water. go take a shower.

not sure about the science but heard once hangovers were from dyhydration (too much beer and pissing) and nutrient imbalance due to all the pissing. so if you drank a ton of water before going to bed and soon as got up along with some multi-vitamins, it stopped those two things from happening.

as a pretty heavy partyer in my 20's, i had a great hangover cure, typically always worked and simple.

when you get home, take the biggest glass you have in the cupboard fill it with water and drink it, the get two multi-vitamins, refill the big glass of water and drink another glass. When you wake up in morning, go get another multi-vitamin and eat it along with another two glasses of water. go take a shower.

not sure about the science but heard once hangovers were from dyhydration (too much beer and pissing) and nutrient imbalance due to all the pissing. so if you drank a ton of water before going to bed and soon as got up along with some multi-vitamins, it stopped those two things from happening.

This is all true. The fact that you pee a lot during drinking should provide the clue.

It's the dehydration that causes the headache, which is why the cure is hydration, either during or just after drinking.

Alcohol doesn't cause hangovers, aldehydes and ketones are responsible for that.

Yep, dehydration and loss of electrolytes. Drink water, ginger ale, pickle juice before bed. Plus some sports drink for the electrolytes. Again in AM......or whenever you came to...er....woke up.

“One source says that you should do a forty-minute workout, another that you should run six miles—activities that may have little attraction for the hung over.“

A third source agrees on all accounts.

i remember the days in the summer when i would go running after a night of drinking, about 1.5 miles in when you really start sweating you could smell the alcohol coming out of your pores.

Never did hair of the dog myself as I was never brave enough. Does it work for any of you guys?
Check out the article. There is a theory that the liver first breaks down ethanol and then methanol. Methanol produces formic acid which is toxic and makes the hangover worse. By drinking again, your liver goes back to ethanol processing, but you are likely just delaying the inevitable.

This thread reminds me of the first couple lines of one of the best books I ever read. It goes "The last morning I walked, I woke up without a hangover. I was still drunk from the night before." The book was "Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot" by John Callahan, a now-deceased cartoonist. They made a movie about it on Amazon Prime and I only saw the trailer and I almost puked. Don't watch the movie but do read the book if you'd like an interesting and funny life story. It's not long.

Last edited:
Reactions: LionJim
...my drink of choice was always a quart of V8 juice when I got up the next mornings ... :)

ADVERTISEMENT