ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Tell your kids to watch out for their friends when they go out drinking.

LionJim

Oct 8, 2003
Levittown, PA to Olney, MD
I'm not going to go into too much detail here because it's a sensitive subject and because it's only recently happened. Long story short, a friend of my daughter's went out with some other friends and drank enough to worry the group he was with. Instead of taking him home, they put him in an Uber by himself and he was dead come morning. (No, the Uber driver was not at fault.) Someone's died and his friends are all blaming themselves. So, please, remind your kids that being a friend means taking care of your friends when they're dangerously drunk.

I hope this isn't too awkward. Thanks.

Good message.

Friends didn't do anything wrong, in fact, tried to help. If someone drinks themselves into oblivion, that is "on them" (apologies to Matt Millen). Were they buying the drinks and/or egging him/her on?

Best wishes to them. Locally, a kid who recently inherited his family's golf course (Brandywine) committed suicide. When he was a teenager, he got drunk and had an accident killed two of his friends. The kid never got over it.

Don't be afraid to seek counseling.

I'm not going to go into too much detail here because it's a sensitive subject and because it's only recently happened. Long story short, a friend of my daughter's went out with some other friends and drank enough to worry the group he was with. Instead of taking him home, they put him in an Uber by himself and he was dead come morning. (No, the Uber driver was not at fault.) Someone's died and his friends are all blaming themselves. So, please, remind your kids that being a friend means taking care of your friends when they're dangerously drunk.

Maybe they should have taken him to a hospital instead, or called an ambulance. Were they under age?

Last edited:
What does dangerously drunk look like?

Drinking too much alcohol might start out sounding like fun, but it can be deadly. Alcohol poisoning is much more common than most people think. Drinking enough to black out is one sign of alcohol poisoning, a potentially lethal intake of alcohol that's surprisingly easy to reach, but you don't have to black out to have alcohol poisoning.

There's an old suggestion that one alcoholic drink per hour is safe, but that advice isn't set in stone. Consider: Perhaps your friends don't mix their drinks the same way you do or you had something to eat tonight but your companion did not. Also, after the first couple of drinks, that theory gets a bit more fuzzy. Alcohol doesn't absorb at exactly the same rate all the time, regardless whether you have an empty stomach or not. Even after you stop drinking, the alcohol level in your blood will often keep rising for a time.

You're likely to see things on this list that you've either seen in others or experienced yourself when drinking. Just because you're still here and still breathing doesn't mean these aren't serious symptoms. A drunk person who's confused and complaining of nausea is at risk. It's not good enough to simply drive the intoxicated person home and tuck him or her into bed. At an absolute minimum, a sober person will need to stay nearby to see if he or she gets worse.

Call 911 immediately for an intoxicated person who has any of the following symptoms:

Alcohol Poisoning Treatment
There are a lot of myths about treating alcohol poisoning. Calling 911 or taking the intoxicated person to the hospital is the only safe way to treat alcohol poisoning. The most important first aid for alcohol poisoning—after calling 911—is to keep the person safe until help arrives. The most important issue is protecting the person from choking on his or her own vomit. It might not work very well. In the only study of body positioning in comatose poisoning victims I could find, the best position turned out to be face down (prone) rather than on your back or side. In the study, rescuers documented which position they found their unconscious overdose patients. The patients underwent X-rays the next day to see how much gunk they had in their lungs. Folks who were found on their backs (supine) or on their sides (the usual recovery position) sucked up more stomach contents than the face-down crowd. The only group that did as well were the people awake enough to sit up a little. If you are going to position the person to allow the airway to drain, you have to go all the way. It's not enough to turn the victim's head to the side. You have to actually roll him or her over so anything that bubbles up from the gut can't just slide to the back of the throat and down into the lungs.

Taking care of your drunk friends means getting them the medical attention they need if you suspect they may have drunk too much. It’s better to exercise caution when in doubt in order to save your friend’s life, or others he might endanger as a result of his actions.

Last edited:

Horrible story and I am very sorry. They all don't deserve such burden since they thought they were doing the right thing.

On the other hand, they're fortunate they weren't in Centre County during election time when SPM was the DA. They'd all be looking at 500 felonies each with numorous press conferences to muddy the jury pool..

Horrible story and I am very sorry. They all don't deserve such burden since they thought they were doing the right thing.

On the other hand, they're fortunate they weren't in Centre County during election time when SPM was the DA. They'd all be looking at 500 felonies each with numorous press conferences to muddy the jury pool..
Especially if they knew he had a serious injury to boot...oh, wait. He had no such injury in this case.

Nice try but I’ve stopped posting selfies.
LOL..is one of these you?

2566.jpg

Reactions: Thomas1945

Good message, we screamed at our daughter one time because she told us a friend was roofied. They didn't see who did it but they just took her home. we were nuts and told her you must get medical attention when someone is like that.

Reactions: LionJim

Drunk males also need to be concerned with the smiley face killers apparently.

Drunk males also need to be concerned with the smiley face killers apparently.
huh...never heard of that so looked it up:

The Smiley face murder theory (variations include Smiley face murders, Smiley face killings, Smiley face gang, and others) is a theory advanced by retired New York City detectives Kevin Gannon and Anthony Duarte, and Dr. Lee Gilbertson, a criminal justice professor and gang expert at St. Cloud State University. They allege that a number of young men found dead in bodies of water across several Midwestern American states from the late-1990s to the 2010s did not accidentally drown, as concluded by law enforcement agencies, but were victims of a serial killer or killers. The term smiley face became connected to the alleged murders when it was made public that the police had discovered graffiti depicting a smiley face near locations where they think the killer dumped the bodies in at least a dozen of the cases. Gannon wrote a textbook case study on the subject titled, "Case Studies in Drowning Forensics".[1][2] The response of law enforcement investigators and other experts has been largely skeptical.​

I was extremely lucky in college a few times because I puke easily. I’d always end up puking my guts out and then drinking tons of water before finally passing out. I would never pass out while hammered before puking.

I almost pissed myself a time or 2 while passed out and did Black my eye on a corner of a cabinet while walking half dead to take a piss in the nearest place - my dorm room sink, but better than fallling asleep and puking.

Reactions: odshowtime
I was extremely lucky in college a few times because I puke easily. I’d always end up puking my guts out and then drinking tons of water before finally passing out. I would never pass out while hammered before puking.

I almost pissed myself a time or 2 while passed out and did Black my eye on a corner of a cabinet while walking half dead to take a piss in the nearest place - my dorm room sink, but better than fallling asleep and puking.
My brother did me a huge favor. I, along with several high school friends, visited PSU for a game after the high school season was over. We all got plastered. We did things we shouldn't have done. I didn't throw up but was sick for three days. I never got that drunk again, only "tipsy". Today, I drink maybe a drink a month. I'd much rather have a diet Mountain Dew which may be as bad over the long run. But I am thankful I had this early experience which really paid off for me.

My brother did me a huge favor. I, along with several high school friends, visited PSU for a game after the high school season was over. We all got plastered. We did things we shouldn't have done. I didn't throw up but was sick for three days. I never got that drunk again, only "tipsy". Today, I drink maybe a drink a month. I'd much rather have a diet Mountain Dew which may be as bad over the long run. But I am thankful I had this early experience which really paid off for me.
It’s definitely out of my system. I rarely drink - they’re just worthless calories.

Thinking back to my youth. I was always drinking with someone I knew well. Never left friends alone with others that we didn't know. When one of us got that drunk we would always take care of each other. It may have not been in the most caring way (Like laying you in the stall so you can puke in the toilet or dragging you in the shower when you puked all over yourself to clean you off), but at least one of us would be a human being and not let someone get into a dangerous situation where they could die. The only other thing I can think of these days is some kids are on lots od medications and mixed with alcohol, they can get out of control way quicker then when we were kids and just stuck to guzzling beer and not mixing alcohol with Red Bull and shit.

It is a tragedy and I’m sorry your daughter and her friends have to go through this but at some point there has to be accountability on behalf of the person who decided to drink that much. Too often today blame seems to fall on everyone else but the person who is most responsible for their death, themselves.

A few years ago a West Chester University student who was home for Thanksgiving break disappeared after a night of drinking and was found 3 weeks later dead in a river. The parents sued the establishment for over serving a visibly intoxicated patron and won $750K and they were still upset with the outcome. No amount of money will replace their son but they had a 21 year old son who had already been taken to the hospital for alcohol poisoning, had an underage, was forced to take a university mandated alcohol education class and still had two more alcohol related incidents after the class. There was one person responsible for his death, himself and it seems like the parents refuse to accept that.

Yeah, and the other thing is to make sure your kid knows how to drink safely before you send them off to partyland.

Same way, I get sick long before the crazy stuff starts. Kinda sucked but I'm very lucky looking back.

ADVERTISEMENT