ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Sunday Masters thread - w/ current odds...

MtNittany

May 29, 2001
1 J. Spieth -3 18
2 S. Kaufman -2 18
3t B. Langer -1 18
3t H. Matsuyama -1 18
5t J. Day E 18
5t D. Johnson E 18
5t D. Willett E 18
8t L. Westwood +1 18
8t S. Kjeldsen +1 18
8t B. Snedeker +1 18

Jordan Spieth: 6/5
Smylie Kaufman: 12-1
Bernhard Langer: 18-1
Hideki Matsuyama: 7-1
Jason Day: 9-2
Dustin Johnson: 8-1
Rory McIlroy: 18-1
Danny Willett: 20-1
Lee Westwood: 45-1
Brandt Snedeker: 30-1

From strictly a betting standpoint, I would say Matsuyama and DJ are the best values. I would be tempted to take Barnyard, but w/ the wind dying down I think he'll get run over by other players today.

Last edited:
Reactions: bkmtnittany1
Watched the third round taped and the damn thing stopped the recording after Spieth hit his second shot to in front of the seventeenth green. I was thinking that the pressure was getting to him and although not surprised he stumbled after that, was surprised that he took three extra strokes on those last two holes. I am guessing that his tee shot off of 18 was pretty bad?

Spieth pushed his t shot on 18 into the trees on the right....had to punch out in front of the green. That tshot had double bogey written all over it....the biggest shocker to me was the double he took on #11 after he absolutely killed a drive...i think he had a 9 iron i his hand for his second shot. To take a 6 from there was unforgivable....

I don't think that Spieth is playing poorly because of pressure, he's just playing poorly. He was not at the top of his game coming in. Lots of guys have a chance today and , as usual, the back nine on Sunday will be the story. It's like WWII on that leader board with Germans and Japanese! ;)

mtnitt...i am anxious to see how the course will be set up for today...i think the master's guys want there to be some fireworks...i can see some 5 and 6 unders being shot...

mtnitt...i am anxious to see how the course will be set up for today...i think the master's guys want there to be some fireworks...i can see some 5 and 6 unders being shot...
The problem is the scores are so high. If there were 30 guys between +2 and -2, I'd agree w/ your premise. As it is, there are only 11, which means they will only be 5 or 6 holes ahead of Spieth. How is anyone going to get to -4 in 5 or 6 holes?

The problem is the scores are so high. If there were 30 guys between +2 and -2, I'd agree w/ your premise. As it is, there are only 11, which means they will only be 5 or 6 holes ahead of Spieth. How is anyone going to get to -4 in 5 or 6 holes?

Good point...if it were my brother in law i would say it would be easy...he cheats!

Jordan had his bad round yesterday and survived it. I think he wins big! He completely outsmarted Rory yesterday. One example: Number 2 - Jordan hits crap drive that nearly goes into the "death zone" left of the fairway except, since he hit 3 wood, it is just a bad angle and he gets home in 2. Rory hit driver and landed in the bunker after hitting in his drive into the bunker on one. There were other examples where they both played holes poorly but Jordan minimized the damage and Rory maximized it.

Jordan stunk yesterday and it was a miracle that he finished with the lead but he manages his game so well. The last 2 holes were, in my opinion, the "hidden vigorish" catching up with him. He was worn down after fighting himself all day and he slipped badly. Augusta does that to even the best players in the world.

ziggy...then pleaase explain #11 to me...how he took 6 on that hole after that t shot is unfathomable

ziggy...then pleaase explain #11 to me...how he took 6 on that hole after that t shot is unfathomable
I said "he stunk" but he was smarter than most out there and that is why he leads for the 7th consecutive round played there. The11th hole illustrated how bad he played but he recovered nicely until giving it back on 17and 18. If I could explain 11, I would be making millions as a "guru" to the top pros. I can't even fix my own deficiencies! :cool:

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
Spieth pushed his t shot on 18 into the trees on the right....had to punch out in front of the green. That tshot had double bogey written all over it....the biggest shocker to me was the double he took on #11 after he absolutely killed a drive...i think he had a 9 iron i his hand for his second shot. To take a 6 from there was unforgivable....

He was still in decent shape to make par or bogey after he punched out on #18. Then, he gagged his approach too short and repeated the poor shot making with his first putt which he also left way short. Two of the worst shots he has probably hit in years back to back may ultimately cost him this tournament.

Spieth made everything he looked at early in the round. The first 4 holes he made difficult putts to get to -1 on the day.

I said "he stunk" but he was smarter than most out there and that is why he leads for the 7th consecutive round played there. The11th hole illustrated how bad he played but he recovered nicely until giving it back on 17and 18. If I could explain 11, I would be making millions as a "guru" to the top pros. I can't even fix my own deficiencies! :cool:

He doubles 11 then come back and birdies 12 on a super difficult pin placement....cant wait for 3 oclock today

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
Great to see an older guy like Langer ( at 58 years old), competing in a major sporting event like the Masters against guys 20 or 30 years younger than him. Golf is rather unique that way. I like Spieth and Smiley is a good story. But when you get older, you take note of older guys like Langer still getting it done against much younger competition.

So far no one is really tearing it up. A couple guys are 2 under, but I expected better. Add in the fact there is no pressure on these players who went out early.

I think Spieth had mental fatigue yesterday, especially towards the end of the round. To leave that pitch shot short on 18 and then 3-putt on a green that was comparatively not that difficult kind of tells the story IMHO. I think he wore himself out by being overly anxious while trying to figure out the wind. He was tentative. That's why so many shots went to the right.

Speith hit awful drives on #17 & #18.....then hit great recovery shots.....then hit below-ave pitches.

I think he was mentally beat.....wind can do that.....plus it took 4:43 to play. A very long afternoon, not finishing until just past 7:30PM. Probably needed some nourishment, too!

The flat-stick just killing Johnson again....he's still even par and even for the day, but he should be within 2 strokes of the lead at least if he could putt from inside 10 feet.

The flat-stick just killing Johnson again....he's still even par and even for the day, but he should be within 2 strokes of the lead at least if he could putt from inside 10 feet.

Whoa, and a couple minutes after I posted that Dustin 4-putts for a double to go +2 after hitting the 5th Green in regulation??? His freaking putting has cost him at least 4 shots to the leader through 5 holes - yikes!!!

Jordan got an all-time break on 4 - he hit the ball deep into the jungle-thick bamboo on a complete block and it spit it out! He's got a about an 8 footer left for a "woodie" @ 4. That spit-out may end up being the difference in this touranment.

Jordan got an all-time break on 4 - he hit the ball deep into the jungle-thick bamboo on a complete block and it spit it out! He's got a about an 8 footer left for a "woodie" @ 4. That spit-out may end up being the difference in this touranment.

There it is, JS gets the woodie at 4 when he deserved at least a double (most people record a lost ball when they hit the ball that far right on 4 (actually can go OB as far right as he hit it). That's the difference between Spieth and a player like Johnson....he just made a par on a hole he deserved to make no less than 5 on by draining an 8 footer after an unbelievably lucky break, while Johnson is busy 4-putting at the very same time after hitting the 5th green in regulation. That's why the say there's no space for comments on the scorecard....Spieth definitely not the purist hitter of the ball or the most talented, but he definitely is the "boss of the moss" especially in regards to "make-able clutch putts" - he rarely misses and fails to capitalize.

There it is, JS gets the woodie at 4 when he deserved at least a double (most people record a lost ball when they hit the ball that far right on 4 (actually can go OB as far right as he hit it). That's the difference between Spieth and a player like Johnson....he just made a par on a hole he deserved to make no less than 5 on by draining an 8 footer after an unbelievably lucky break, while Johnson is busy 4-putting at the very same time after hitting the 5th green in regulation. That's why the say there's no space for comments on the scorecard....Spieth definitely not the purist hitter of the ball or the most talented, but he definitely is the "boss of the moss" especially in regards to "make-able clutch putts" - he rarely misses and fails to capitalize.

Speith's tee shot on #4 was a bad push but his ball was close but NEVER touched the woods to the right. He was VERY lucky the ball hit softly and stopped instead of bouncing forward into the woods where Rory ended up. Up and down from there was probably a 1-in-20 shot.

Dustin Johnson must have been born under a bad moon, he came back to make from the 4-putt double @ 5 to make birdie at 6, but just hit the flag @ 8 on a shot that was dead nails for double-eagle with spin and it spit back some 20 feet (albeit straight up the hill and a makeable putt)! He ended up getting his birdie, but he should have been inside of 5 feet for eagle. Meanwhile, Spieth was busy draining another fairly difficult 15 footer for birdie @ 6. If Spieth were playing Johnson's ball on the green, Johnson would be about 4-under right now....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT