ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Stupid things you have said on dates.

as many of you know, I am a huge movie buff

so at some point at PSU I took a date to see . . . The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover

I begged for forgiveness and a second date, saying it was a great film but NOT a date movie

I assured her the next film was a classic, must see film:

A Clockwork Orange

LOL

yeah no third date with her . . .
laugh.r191677.gif

I once convinced a gal that the "The Deer Hunter" was a romance film. Man she was surprised!

Tom

For some reason the Wayback Machine kicked on, and I recalled this conversation:

Me: "What have you been up to?"
She: "I worked for the NFL for a couple of years."
Me: "Oh, the National Federation of Labor?"
She: "No, the National Football League."

I learned this line from a high school teacher. I tried using it on the hottest girl in senior high while parking on a remote country dirt road.

Me: "Put up or get out."
She: "See you later. I'll hitch a ride."

The rest is history.

...not a date but...

So, my junior year, I used to see this beautiful brown eyed brunette in the HUB every Tuesday and Thursday. We would make eye contact, smile, and I never got up enough nerve to ask her out, or even talk to her. After a while I am pretty sure she was annoyed I never even made any move.

I would see her around campus a few times, but again - I did not get up enough confidence to say hello.

Lost track of her (assume she graduated and moved on)....all I knew about her was that she was from the Philly area (MontCo, I think).

Anyway, fast forward a few years, and I am flying to from Philly to Miami for the PSU-Miami game (the one where Tony Sacca got tired).....I get off the plane and head downstairs to baggage, where a friend of mine is picking me up. I go down the escalators and there she is....looking just as good as she did in my junior year....she sees me, and I see her, and by this time, I am a little more confident of myself....so I walk up to her:

Me: Hey, don't I know you from someplace?
Her: Penn State. The Hub.
Me: So, are you in town for the Miami game?

She looks to a guy taking bags off the carousel...

Her: No, I am going on a cruise. On my honeymoon.

She looks again at the guy taking bags off the carousel.....

Her (softly): You had your chance.

If someone would have cut my arm off right there, it would not have hurt as much.

I see Tony Sacca every now and then, and every time I do, I invariably think of the brown eyed girl that got away, on the weekend of the game where he got tired...
---
Don't feel too bad. To this day, when she makes love to her hubby, she is thinking how she coulda been your main sig pic!

It’s the mid 60’s in Lancaster County. I am driving the family station wagon with a bench front seat. She is sitting close to me. Some how the discussion was the “quaint” names of Lancaster county towns. Blue Ball and Intercourse are mentioned. Then I suggested Bird-in-Hand. She says she doesn’t see how it fits. So I say, “May I place my bird in your hand?” She immediately slides over towards the passenger side door and changes the topic. It was a cold goodnight and last date.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
It’s the mid 60’s in Lancaster County. I am driving the family station wagon with a bench front seat. She is sitting close to me. Some how the discussion was the “quaint” names of Lancaster county towns. Blue Ball and Intercourse are mentioned. Then I suggested Bird-in-Hand. She says she doesn’t see how it fits. So I say, “May I place my bird in your hand?” She immediately slides over towards the passenger side door and changes the topic. It was a cold goodnight and last date.

As you were driving down the road towards these towns you should have asked if she saw Intercourse in the near future.

Reactions: RU31trap
Excuse me but what is your name again.

Thank goodness I was driving.
+1

I've had a couple of those.

With one I didn't even remember her name the next morning and didn't ask. Just said thanks!

And to top it off, when I get mad at my current wife, the ex-wife's name comes out sometimes! That's usually good for two months no sex ....

I had a female friend... we met on Match.com, but were more pals than dating. She had been a vegetarian, but now ate some meat. She may also have dated women before, but was at least interested in meeting single guys. I officially knew that we were never meant to be when she and I were discussing sports numbers each of us have worn while chatting on the phone. I mentioned that you could always tell who the a-hole was on the beer league softball team by looking for who wore number 69. She said that she didn't understand. I explained it to her. She said "EWWWW" louder than I ever recall hearing and there was some awkward silence. That was pretty much the end.

Reactions: LafayetteBear
I once convinced a gal that the "The Deer Hunter" was a romance film. Man she was surprised!

Tom

I took a girl on a first date to see Terminator 2. It was a good movie, but I think the outcome may have been more in my favor if I had taken her to see the English Patient or whatever chick flick was popular then. If only I had a mentor back then...

just had to take it too far, didn't you?

I have a co-worker that seems to get away with saying all kinds of stuff. When I chime in, everyone looks at me like "oooww, can't believe you said that!". Now, I just nod and laugh.

...not a date but...

So, my junior year, I used to see this beautiful brown eyed brunette in the HUB every Tuesday and Thursday. We would make eye contact, smile, and I never got up enough nerve to ask her out, or even talk to her. After a while I am pretty sure she was annoyed I never even made any move.

I would see her around campus a few times, but again - I did not get up enough confidence to say hello.

Lost track of her (assume she graduated and moved on)....all I knew about her was that she was from the Philly area (MontCo, I think).

Anyway, fast forward a few years, and I am flying to from Philly to Miami for the PSU-Miami game (the one where Tony Sacca got tired).....I get off the plane and head downstairs to baggage, where a friend of mine is picking me up. I go down the escalators and there she is....looking just as good as she did in my junior year....she sees me, and I see her, and by this time, I am a little more confident of myself....so I walk up to her:

Me: Hey, don't I know you from someplace?
Her: Penn State. The Hub.
Me: So, are you in town for the Miami game?

She looks to a guy taking bags off the carousel...

Her: No, I am going on a cruise. On my honeymoon.

She looks again at the guy taking bags off the carousel.....

Her (softly): You had your chance.

If someone would have cut my arm off right there, it would not have hurt as much.

I see Tony Sacca every now and then, and every time I do, I invariably think of the brown eyed girl that got away, on the weekend of the game where he got tired...

You should have gone on the cruise with her and stuck the other guy with the PSU ticket.

So much for Paradise (also a town in that general vicinity).

This is a great thread and made me laugh and feel so much better. I don't recall having said anything stupid on a date but in the heat of passion I did say another woman's name. That went over well.

My best "move" was to find a gal that was being hit on and was NOT enjoying it. I'd go up to her and pretend that I knew her and give her a light hug. As I hugged her, I'd tell her to play along to get rid of the guy. I'd turn to the guy and tell him that she and I know each-other. As he skunks away, I'd tell the gal that I saw she was uncomfortable and wanted to help out. 9 times out of ten, she'd come over and talk to me within the next ten minutes.
Tell us the full version. I bet the first few times you did it, you did it with the guy and girl reversed until a friend pointed it out. :oops:

Last edited:
I had a female friend... we met on Match.com, but were more pals than dating. She had been a vegetarian, but now ate some meat. She may also have dated women before, but was at least interested in meeting single guys. I officially knew that we were never meant to be when she and I were discussing sports numbers each of us have worn while chatting on the phone. I mentioned that you could always tell who the a-hole was on the beer league softball team by looking for who wore number 69. She said that she didn't understand. I explained it to her. She said "EWWWW" louder than I ever recall hearing and there was some awkward silence. That was pretty much the end.
I was driving somewhere with my (younger) sister in Philly back in the mid 1970s, sometime in my first year at PSU Ogontz. Someone had managed to get a personalized plate with that number on it as well as the letters LAY. I started laughing and lil sis asked why. Uncomfortable silence. I still do not recall how I ducked it.... I suspect I just noted that it was suggestive language without getting specific.

I hope you know what you are doing. (said this to my future wife in the 7th grade....I had mustered the courage to ask her to dance.......I had never danced with a girl (or guy lol) before and I muttered that immortal phrase.) I've often wondered how she interpreted that gem.

I took a girl on a first date to see Terminator 2. It was a good movie, but I think the outcome may have been more in my favor if I had taken her to see the English Patient or whatever chick flick was popular then. If only I had a mentor back then...

I did follow up the Deer Hunter with Platoon then Gardens of Stone letting her know there was some romance in these films. I did get my movie picking rights revoked.
Tom

Last edited:
I did follow up the Deer Hunter with Platoon then Gardens of Stone letting her know there was some romance in these films. I did get my movie picking rights evoked.

I'm guessing "love you long time" qualifies as "romance" with only a select group of American females.

Another one that I just thought of that is Penn State related...

I was dating a girl when we both were in our early/mid 30’s. She was attractive, but tall and on the curvy side. I’m a big guy, so that doesn’t bother me. We met on match.com and we had some things in common. Enjoying sports was not one of them. She did agree to go to a Penn State game with me, however. Walking out of the stadium after the game, we were discussing her HS prom... I think she must have said that her boyfriend dumped her before the prom. I think it may have come up because he ended up going to Penn State. I asked why he dumped her and she said it was because he liked petit girls. I replied, without thinking (obviously), with “who doesn’t”...

there have been many times that I instantly knew that I had misspoken and wished that I could have taken the words back. This was one of those times. I’ve been to plenty of Penn State games where the traffic was horrible on 322 or there were issues getting out of the lots. I don’t recall any of these issues, but it was by far the longest ride home that I can ever remember.

Another one that I just thought of that is Penn State related...

I was dating a girl when we both were in our early/mid 30’s. She was attractive, but tall and on the curvy side. I’m a big guy, so that doesn’t bother me. We met on match.com and we had some things in common. Enjoying sports was not one of them. She did agree to go to a Penn State game with me, however. Walking out of the stadium after the game, we were discussing her HS prom... I think she must have said that her boyfriend dumped her before the prom. I think it may have come up because he ended up going to Penn State. I asked why he dumped her and she said it was because he liked petit girls. I replied, without thinking (obviously), with “who doesn’t”...

there have been many times that I instantly knew that I had misspoken and wished that I could have taken the words back. This was one of those times. I’ve been to plenty of Penn State games where the traffic was horrible on 322 or there were issues getting out of the lots. I don’t recall any of these issues, but it was by far the longest ride home that I can ever remember.
Yeah that was....that was not good.

So it wasn't actually something I said, but..

Decades ago when I was a PSU undergrad, a high school friend of mine was a music major as was his girlfriend. This worked out great for me as it assured a pipeline of her attractive friends to date. One night I was on a double date with my friend and his gf at Cafe 210 along with one of her highly boner-inducing friends and the evening was progressing nicely with everyone getting a good buzz. At some point, yet another hot friend of theirs walked in, saw the group and came over to briefly say hi. My date, being polite and proper, introduced the new arrival as follows:

"This is J___. She's an organ performance major."

..at which point I laughed uproariously with a spray of lawn guyland iced tea out my nose. A three second eternity passed with my HS friend and his gf cringing as highly boner-inducing friend look startled and asked me what was so funny. Then she realized. Total, immediate buzzkill. Quick group trip for the ladies to the restroom to debrief, awkward goodbyes and a long walk back to UT.

I still don't know how she could say that with a straight face and be surprised at my reaction..

Decades ago when I was a PSU undergrad, a high school friend of mine was a music major as was his girlfriend. This worked out great for me as it assured a pipeline of her attractive friends to date. One night I was on a double date with my friend and his gf at Cafe 210 along with one of her highly boner-inducing friends and the evening was progressing nicely with everyone getting a warm buzz. At some point, yet another hot friend of theirs walked in, saw the group and came over to briefly say hi. My date, being polite and proper, introduced the new arrival as follows:

..at which point I laughed uproariously with a spray of lawn guyland iced tea out my nose. A three second eternity passed with my HS friend and his gf cringing as highly boner-inducing friend look startled and asked me what was so funny. Then she realized. Total, immediate buzzkill. Quick group trip for the ladies to the restroom to debrief, uncomfortable goodbyes and a long walk back to UT.

I still don't know how she could say that with a straight face and be surprised at my reaction..

Just think-now she is an Organ Performance Professional.:rolleyes:

Reactions: GuStHeCaT

Decades ago when I was a PSU undergrad, a high school friend of mine was a music major as was his girlfriend. This worked out great for me as it assured a pipeline of her attractive friends to date. One night I was on a double date with my friend and his gf at Cafe 210 along with one of her highly boner-inducing friends and the evening was progressing nicely with everyone getting a good buzz. At some point, yet another hot friend of theirs walked in, saw the group and came over to briefly say hi. My date, being polite and proper, introduced the new arrival as follows:

..at which point I laughed uproariously with a spray of lawn guyland iced tea out my nose. A three second eternity passed with my HS friend and his gf cringing as highly boner-inducing friend look startled and asked me what was so funny. Then she realized. Total, immediate buzzkill. Quick group trip for the ladies to the restroom to debrief, awkward goodbyes and a long walk back to UT.

She may have been "highly boner inducing," but if the humor in her statement had to be explained to her, nothing was gonna happen to address your "situation."

Reminds me of the old joke...

My wife wanted a grand piano for Christmas last year, but I got her an upright organ instead....

ADVERTISEMENT