ADVERTISEMENT

OT Steelers will keep Ryan Shazier under contract, on PUP list

sluggo72

Aug 31, 2006
not a free agent move, so I thought I would post this here. Nice move by the Steelers....

Steelers linebacker Ryan Shazier will remain under contract for another year as he continues to recover from the severe spinal injury he suffered late in the 2017 season.

Shazier’s salary in 2018 was guaranteed for injury, so there was never any risk that he would lose pay last year, but the Steelers announced today that he will remain under contract this year as well. Although Shazier is still hoping to play football again, he’s not ready for that and he will go on the Physically Unable to Perform list.

The Steelers’ announcement said Shazier will be paid a salary, accrue another season toward his pension, and will continue to get the health insurance that all active NFL players receive.

“We will continue to support Ryan’s efforts to return to play,” said General Manager Kevin Colbert. “Although he won’t be able to help us on the field in 2019, his leadership, insight, and emotional support have always been very valuable to us, and we look forward to his contributions in our pursuit of a championship.”

www.profootballtalk.com

not a free agent move, so I thought I would post this here. Nice move by the Steelers....

Steelers linebacker Ryan Shazier will remain under contract for another year as he continues to recover from the severe spinal injury he suffered late in the 2017 season.

Shazier’s salary in 2018 was guaranteed for injury, so there was never any risk that he would lose pay last year, but the Steelers announced today that he will remain under contract this year as well. Although Shazier is still hoping to play football again, he’s not ready for that and he will go on the Physically Unable to Perform list.

The Steelers’ announcement said Shazier will be paid a salary, accrue another season toward his pension, and will continue to get the health insurance that all active NFL players receive.

“We will continue to support Ryan’s efforts to return to play,” said General Manager Kevin Colbert. “Although he won’t be able to help us on the field in 2019, his leadership, insight, and emotional support have always been very valuable to us, and we look forward to his contributions in our pursuit of a championship.”

www.profootballtalk.com

Finally, some POSITIVE NEWS from the Stillers Camp!

I guess Rocky Bleier's return to play was considered almost hopeless at one point.

Is there some actual chance that Shazier makes it back?

So, they can keep a guy who can't physically play football, but can't keep guys who can excel at playing football.

That's an interesting move.
  1. I guess the guy has to want to be there....not the case with RB who would have been one of the highest paid in the league and not with the WR who was under contract. Steelers wanted to keep both but the players didn't hold up their end of the rules/contract.
  2. Not sure about the cap hit or how that is handled. not sure why the WR hits the Steelers by $15m while he is paid by a different team
  3. Perhaps insurance is an issue for Shazier. I don't know how it works but have to suspect someone was going to be paying Shazier, the Steelers or their insurance company. Perhaps it was some kind of settlement between all three parties and isn't as charitable as it would appear.

Reactions: BBrown
I assume that his salary (or portion of) would count toward the salary cap?? Seems like the NFL should give the Steelers some sort of cap break since the guy is clearly not going to play and this is a very classy move.

Reactions: BBrown
I assume that his salary (or portion of) would count toward the salary cap?? Seems like the NFL should give the Steelers some sort of cap break since the guy is clearly not going to play and this is a very classy move.
Not to mention getting hosed by an ass clown that was under contract for several more years.

ADVERTISEMENT