ADVERTISEMENT

OT spoiler.....US mens soccer

taking it to Gemany in the final 55 minutes. Wood with an insane strike.​
Just finished watching. Germany looked out of sorts, but our speed had them flustered big time. Two really nice goals. Bradley played great in the time I watched (last 60 minutes).

Schweinsteiger's reaction to Bradley's near goal was funny.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
And a certain bald midfielder dominated the proceedings again. :)

TODD. Bradley is the best player on the US squad, but he is not an elite central attacking midfielder. I'm not sure why you think he is, but he is not. He would not start in Germany, Spain, England, Argentina, Brazil, France, Italy...etc or pretty much any top 20 squad as an attacking midfielder.

You're taking my comments as that he stinks, but I'm saying his best position is a defensive midfielder. In fact if you watched the squad he actually played a bit deeper and closer to Beckerman which is where he excels. His short touches simply are not that of an elite offensive attacking midfielder. Feel free to think he is an elite attacking central midfielder, but he is not and that is why he plays in Toronto currently and not at the highest of levels. Hell I was the one defending him after the last WC saying he was out of position and he still is. The problem is just like I said yesterday the mens and women's team is missing that elusive, possession, and distributing attacking central midfielder. The person that is all over the pitch and MAINTAINING possession. That simply is not the strongest part of the US teams currently. It never really has been and it is what is really stopping the US from taking that big final step in terms of consistency.

Great win by a younger, US squad. Just enjoy it as the last 5-6 days have been great. U20 advancing, women's team W, and 2 huge wins across the pond. If you feel he is one of the best in the world out there in that role, feel free.

Last edited:
TODD. Bradley is the best player on the US squad, but he is not an elite central attacking midfielder. I'm not sure why you think he is, but he is not. He would not start in Germany, Spain, England, Argentina, Brazil, France, Italy...etc or pretty much any top 20 squad as an attacking midfielder.

You're taking my comments as that he stinks, but I'm saying his best position is a defensive midfielder. In fact if you watched the squad he actually played a bit deeper and closer to Beckerman which is where he excels. His short touches simply are not that of an elite offensive attacking midfielder. Feel free to think he is an elite attacking central midfielder, but he is not and that is why he plays in Toronto currently and not at the highest of levels. Hell I was the one defending him after the last WC saying he was out of position and he still is. The problem is just like I said yesterday the mens and women's team is missing that elusive, possession, and distributing attacking central midfielder. The person that is all over the pitch and MAINTAINING possession. That simply is not the strongest part of the US teams currently. It never really has been and it is what is really stopping the US from taking that big final step in terms of consistency.

Great win by a younger, US squad. Just enjoy it as the last 5-6 days have been great. U20 advancing, women's team W, and 2 huge wins across the pond. If you feel he is one of the best in the world out there in that role, feel free.

He plays in Toronto for the $$$ and to be closer to home. He was starting for Gladbach and in Italy before he left for MLS. I can agree that he's better at D-mid. Still, he's quite good as a CAM for the US.

He plays in Toronto for the $$$ and to be closer to home. He was starting for Gladbach and in Italy before he left for MLS. I can agree that he's better at D-mid. Still, he's quite good as a CAM for the US.

He's a good player no doubt, but I was saying the US is lacking that true possession driven offensive attacking midfielder on both the mens and womens squad. For some reason we haven't been able to find or develop one since Reyna has left for the most part. I love what Bradley brings to the table as he is super fit, aggressive, and smart.

He just isn't as fluid at that position as some of the world class players are at that spot. To me that was a fair criticism that todd seemed to take issue with. No doubt he is the best the US has currently, but the US also does a ton of chasing still against the better squads because they can't seem to keep possession of the ball. Even yesterday you didn't think the US was ever going to even touch the ball for about 30 minutes of that match.

Yes, very much so. Good goalkeeping as usual for US; could have been 3-0 after 20', nice win. First ever US win against Germany in Germany, I believe.

4HtAjE1.jpg

Reactions: smealpsu2005
He's a good player no doubt, but I was saying the US is lacking that true possession driven offensive attacking midfielder on both the mens and womens squad. For some reason we haven't been able to find or develop one since Reyna has left for the most part. I love what Bradley brings to the table as he is super fit, aggressive, and smart.

He just isn't as fluid at that position as some of the world class players are at that spot. To me that was a fair criticism that todd seemed to take issue with. No doubt he is the best the US has currently, but the US also does a ton of chasing still against the better squads because they can't seem to keep possession of the ball. Even yesterday you didn't think the US was ever going to even touch the ball for about 30 minutes of that match.

It's interesting you mention Reyna (my all-time favorite US player) because it really underscores how the game has changed since his prime. Players who can dictate the tempo of a game and "take the air out of the ball" really don't exist anymore, because at the highest levels the game is played at one speed- fast. Yaya Toure is the prototype. Even the era of tiki taka is over. There is one player currently playing, Andrea Pirlo, who can still slow a game down at the highest levels but you saw his influence on the game was minimal in the Champions League Final.

The fact the US chases against top competition has very little to do with Bradley's play and everything to do with the overall quality of the US team. Klinsmann sees what you do not. When pushed further up the field Bradley generates offense. Applying words like "fluid" add nothing to the conversation. Keep in mind our debate isn't over because Bradley's career isn't over. Every game he plays in that role he improves and because his fitness level is top class he should have another good 5 or 6 years in him. Lets see what his career looks like when it is done.

Your comments about Lloyd and the women's team are just flat out wrong again because again you conflate "fluid" with effective. Lloyd scores goals and dominates possession. Pointing to one stretch of a game, like the first half against Australia, pretty much ignores the rest of Lloyd's career. The USWNT is capable of winning the Cup if, and only if, she is on the field.

It's interesting you mention Reyna (my all-time favorite US player) because it really underscores how the game has changed since his prime. Players who can dictate the tempo of a game and "take the air out of the ball" really don't exist anymore, because at the highest levels the game is played at one speed- fast. Yaya Toure is the prototype. Even the era of tiki taka is over. There is one player currently playing, Andrea Pirlo, who can still slow a game down at the highest levels but you saw his influence on the game was minimal in the Champions League Final.

The fact the US chases against top competition has very little to do with Bradley's play and everything to do with the overall quality of the US team. Klinsmann sees what you do not. When pushed further up the field Bradley generates offense. Applying words like "fluid" add nothing to the conversation. Keep in mind our debate isn't over because Bradley's career isn't over. Every game he plays in that role he improves and because his fitness level is top class he should have another good 5 or 6 years in him. Lets see what his career looks like when it is done.

Your comments about Lloyd and the women's team are just flat out wrong again because again you conflate "fluid" with effective. Lloyd scores goals and dominates possession. Pointing to one stretch of a game, like the first half against Australia, pretty much ignores the rest of Lloyd's career. The USWNT is capable of winning the Cup if, and only if, she is on the field.

Todd,

You take what is fair criticism and turn it into something that it is not. I'm not talking about 5-6 years from now, but right now. He is a better suited to play in the defensive role and it's not even really a debate for anyone who does follow the team. In fact you may be the only person I've EVER heard who actually comprehends what is going on in the sport actually try and make such a silly argument.

Lloyd is tough as nails and similar to Bradley, but again is she really the best person around with the ball at her feet. I love how both play, but both do have some weak spots in their game. You somehow either want the blinders on so badly that you can't see it or you just don't want to admit a US team can be criticized. I never called for Lloyd to be benched as I know what she and MB bring to the table. That doesn't mean he is the best in the world or something remotely close to it. You bring up Toure and then wonder where I'm coming from with MB? He's not in that class, nor will he be in 5-6 years. Pirlo, Xavi, Fabregas, Modric, Toure, Schwienstiegier....these men are magicians with the ball at their feet and rarely loose possession. Don't sit there and try talk about the game changing so much as that has crap to do with my comments. MB is not an elite attacking central midfielder as he is not at that level. He is the best the US has, but I said the US is lacking that elite attacking central midfielder and they are.

Go back now and read my original comments and tell me how awful or wrong they were. They were not as it's the truth. The US teams lack that central midfielder who has glue on his shoes and knocks the ball all over the pitch. Guess what, they don't grow on trees and I know that. Apparently you think the US teams are beyond safe criticism, but that is what these boards are for. If Pirlo was in the US...MB would be back in Beckeman's role. Same for anyone above I mentioned. Don't even try to state otherwise as you will invalidate anything you have said previously. Hopefully you can now comprehend what a simple statement I made and what I meant by it. Look at that list below and tell me who MB puts on the bench, if you can't....we're done.

http://www.thesportster.com/soccer/top-10-central-midfielders-in-the-world/

Last edited:
Todd,

You take what is fair criticism and turn it into something that it is not. I'm not talking about 5-6 years from now, but right now. He is a better suited to play in the defensive role and it's not even really a debate for anyone who does follow the team. In fact you may be the only person I've EVER heard who actually comprehends what is going on in the sport actually try and make such a silly argument.

Lloyd is tough as nails and similar to Bradley, but again is she really the best person around with the ball at her feet. I love how both play, but both do have some weak spots in their game. You somehow either want the blinders on so badly that you can't see it or you just don't want to admit a US team can be criticized. I never called for Lloyd to be benched as I know what she and MB bring to the table. That doesn't mean he is the best in the world or something remotely close to it. You bring up Toure and then wonder where I'm coming from with MB? He's not in that class, nor will he be in 5-6 years. Pirlo, Xavi, Fabregas, Modric, Toure, Schwienstiegier....these men are magicians with the ball at their feet and rarely loose possession. Don't sit there and try talk about the game changing so much as that has crap to do with my comments. MB is not an elite attacking central midfielder as he is not at that level. He is the best the US has, but I said the US is lacking that elite attacking central midfielder and they are.

Go back now and read my original comments and tell me how awful or wrong they were. They were not as it's the truth. The US teams lack that central midfielder who has glue on his shoes and knocks the ball all over the pitch. Guess what, they don't grow on trees and I know that. Apparently you think the US teams are beyond safe criticism, but that is what these boards are for. If Pirlo was in the US...MB would be back in Beckeman's role. Same for anyone above I mentioned. Don't even try to state otherwise as you will invalidate anything you have said previously. Hopefully you can now comprehend what a simple statement I made and what I meant by it. Look at that list below and tell me who MB puts on the bench, if you can't....we're done.

http://www.thesportster.com/soccer/top-10-central-midfielders-in-the-world/

Now that you have so demonstrably, and definitively, been proven wrong about Lloyd I am really looking forward with extra eagerness to the Gold Cup
where Michael Bradley will once again demonstrate his quality as one of the best MFs in the world.

Now that you have so demonstrably, and definitively, been proven wrong about Lloyd I am really looking forward with extra eagerness to the Gold Cup
where Michael Bradley will once again demonstrate his quality as one of the best MFs in the world.

LOL, where were you doing group play when she struggled? Coward. I talked about her ability to possess which is her biggest weakness. It has been mentioned over and over again and even in this match.

I already showed you a list of the best midfielders, but maybe you don't know who they are. That must be it. Bradley is the best the US has, but isn't an elite central midfielder. Defensively he's tough as nails, but he is no Pirlo or anything like him. At least on 247 the guys there know soccer.

Last edited:
LOL, where were you doing group play when she struggled? Coward. I talked about her ability to possess which is her biggest weakness. It has been mentioned over and over again and even in this match.

I already showed you a list of the best midfielders, but maybe you don't know who they are. That must be it. Bradley is the best the US has, but isn't an elite central midfielder. Defensively he's tough as nails, but he is no Pirlo or anything like him. At least on 247 the guys there know soccer.

I shouldn't have expected any humility. You possess none apparently. Keep watching. Maybe Lloyd will score again.

it was a fair criticism that was mentioned over and over again. You must just have tuned out the group play. Hell DiCicco mentioned it again in the first half and her struggles with possession. You're one of those guys who can't stand any critical posts. It's the weak spot in an otherwise great soccer player. i love both players, but can also speak to their weaknesses. You can't.

Last edited:
If you watched the games DiCicco also mentioned repeatedly she is not comfortable playing with her back to goal. Ellis' tactics were flawed. She is a pure attacking MF who is at her best when there is a number 6 behind her allowing her the freedom to get forward.

Honestly stop embarrassing yourself. I hold an NCSAA National Diploma and a USSF "C" license and I'm going for my "B" this year. Being able to cut and paste the opinions of others about who are great MFs doesn't mean you can evaluate talent. The last month proves you can't.

If you watched the games DiCicco also mentioned repeatedly she is not comfortable playing with her back to goal. Ellis' tactics were flawed. She is a pure attacking MF who is at her best when there is a number 6 behind her allowing her the freedom to get forward.

Honestly stop embarrassing yourself. I hold an NCSAA National Diploma and a USSF "C" license and I'm going for my "B" this year. Being able to cut and paste the opinions of others about who are great MFs doesn't mean you can evaluate talent. The last month proves you can't.

Todd, what is her weakness, not Tony's opinion since I can't reference him. He'll everyone on WC tonight was saying the same things post Sweeden. I don't need a license to validate my opinions.

No doubt Ellis hurt her early on. Brian's ability to come in deep and allow her and Holiday to push up turned the corner for this team. For that you have to tip your cap to Ellis. At least she fixed the problem.

I am a huge Bradley fan BTW, but I'm not a blind homer. Good luck with those licenses. You only want to hear about unicorns and rainbows. Let other people blow smoke up your arse. I invite you over to PSU 247 and the soccer thread there. Much better over there in terms of the knowledge, but you may not like some of the critical thought.

Last edited:
She's picking up her World Cup winners medal as we speak to go along with the Silver Ball and the Golden Boot award. Later this year she is, most likely, going to be named World Player of the Year. You don't have to believe in "unicorns and rainbows" to realize she's the best women's MF in the world. Good luck over on 247 with all those soccer experts. Make sure not to count yourself among them.

She's picking up her World Cup winners medal as we speak to go along with the Silver Ball and the Golden Boot award. Later this year she is, most likely, going to be named World Player of the Year. You don't have to believe in "unicorns and rainbows" to realize she's the best women's MF in the world. Good luck over on 247 with all those soccer experts. Make sure not to count yourself among them.

I figured you would be scared to be made out to be the clown you are. Messi isn't good the air, must mean I think he sucks. You really are a moron incapable of any real critical thought. Hack misses his target sometimes = he sucks, bench him in TODD's world.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT