ADVERTISEMENT

OT: So I'm sitting at a bar...

CF LION

May 29, 2001
Friday nights after I get my son and his buddies fed I usually go to a local watering hole and have dinner at the bar.

So I ordered a glass of wine to go with my dinner. I get about 2/3 through the glass, and without asking me, the bartender refills my glass. Pretty cool I think, but then he grabs my tab and charges me another $10.

Now I would have ordered a second glass, but..

1. The bartender never asked me if I wanted more, and

2. The second glass was really only 2/3 of a pour.

They know me here and I like the place so I'm not going to say anything, but I'm a bit annoyed.

My random Friday night post.....

I believe 2/3 full of a wine glass is standard. I’ve never seen a glass of wine filled to the top, or even close for the matter. I really never thought about it until now.

As far as the guy topping you off unprovoked? I call that good service. If I know I’m having one, I’ll take the first drink and then request my tab.

Edit: I see what you’re talking about. Charged $10 for 2/3. Yeah I would’ve been like WTF.

Friday nights after I get my son and his buddies fed I usually go to a local watering hole and have dinner at the bar.

So I ordered a glass of wine to go with my dinner. I get about 2/3 through the glass, and without asking me, the bartender refills my glass. Pretty cool I think, but then he grabs my tab and charges me another $10.

They know me here and I like the place so I'm not going to say anything, but I'm a bit annoyed.

Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

I guess from now on the glass will be in your hand?

Leave a tip that says, 'Next time, ask me if I'd like my glass topped off.'

Agree that it is annoying, but some points for taking initiative I think. In my experience, there typically hasn't been a charge for topping up a glass (at happy hour mostly).

That bartender is dishonest. Screw him. I'd make sure that he never pulls that stunt again.

Drink it, enjoy it, point out to the bartender that you would like to order a refill in the future instead of it being assumed, and as ro said, be careful driving home. Then when you get home, have some more.

Reactions: jp3272
Why I prefer female bartenders.
Never obnoxious and usually cute.
Now that you made me think of it, I come out the opposite (at least at this stage of my life).

CF most likely got good service and got more wine than two glasses. I’d have to see the glass and the pours to know, but a full pour is about an inch and 1/6 the total glass most places I’d buy wine. Hard to distinguish a 2/3 pour from 5/6. And he doesn’t strike me as one who complains about the later. Who knows.

When it is (was) time to pay the bill, I’d simply and politely point out that you ordered ONE glass of wine and you are being charged for TWO.

If the bartender doesn’t QUIETLY and QUICKLY correct your bill, then you take it up with the manager or owner.

Better yet. You take it out of his tip and inform him so by saying, "Next time you ask me."

Now that you made me think of it, I come out the opposite (at least at this stage of my life).

CF most likely got good service and got more wine than two glasses. I’d have to see the glass and the pours to know, but a full pour is about an inch and 1/6 the total glass most places I’d buy wine. Hard to distinguish a 2/3 pour from 5/6. And he doesn’t strike me as one who complains about the later. Who knows.

Upon further reflection this morning, I think this is true. He was a friendly guy and gave me healthy pours. I was just surprised he didn’t ask if I wanted more.

Reactions: anon_1eeb2b426hv3y

Doesn't matter that they know you. I would have said something.

Upon further reflection this morning, I think this is true. He was a friendly guy and gave me healthy pours. I was just surprised he didn’t ask if I wanted more.
You absolutely have the right to be surprised, maybe irritated, by that. Cutting straight to it, I don’t think you were ripped off and it sounds like you agree after sleeping on it and, more importantly, played it the right way (IMO).

You didn’t put him on the spot, stiff him or otherwise damage the relationship. Little doubt he’d have removed it from the bill if you’d raised it. But you also don’t want a (presumably good) bartender at a local haunt to back off on your typical overpours or hesitate to provide you service, even if it’s not exactly right. I bet he thought he was being mindful of the service you usually require and taking care or you. Not having to order all you want is one of the upsides of being a regular. So again, well-played.

Now onto your Radiohead cover-performance. How’d it go? Did your son pick up next to you and join? Mine isn’t that age yet but it’d be a dream for me if it happens.

I suppose he figures he's saving you having to answer and if you don't want it, you'll simply say no thanks when he starts pouring and you won't be charged. It takes just as many words for you to say Yes Please as No Thanks, only with his method, you often don't have to say anything at all. He's saving you words!

I suppose he figures he's saving you having to answer and if you don't want it, you'll simply say no thanks when he starts pouring and you won't be charged. It takes just as many words for you to say Yes Please as No Thanks, only with his method, you often don't have to say anything at all. He's saving you words!

True, but I really didn't have a chance. He's one of those sort of hyper fast bartenders and was pouring from the bottle into my glass before I even really noticed.

True, but I really didn't have a chance. He's one of those sort of hyper fast bartenders and was pouring from the bottle into my glass before I even really noticed.
Also, you don’t know if he’s refilling you on the house or that you were going to be charged. It was his job to ask you if you wanted a refill...that’s bartending 101.

I do think you’re right, just trying to put a positive spin on it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT