ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Snow Day

royboy

Nov 9, 2001
Lewisville, NC
5 or 6 inches in my area of NC and still coming; even the NASCAR guys have trouble on these roads

DTwill8XkAAWXsQ.jpg

Pick up trucks with no weight in the back and RWD might be a bit worse.

If he has a winch and no 4wd I'd be surprised.

Seems like a guy who probably spent a ridiculous amount of money on his pickup.

Oh maybe it's the new Silverado... then I don't really know.

LdN

Shuts everything down even at an inch. There is very little treatment of roads and these people either drive normal speed (5 to 10 above the limit) or crawl. Put the two types on an untreated road together and you get chaos.

In a light snow a few years ago before I retired, I traveled from Ft. Bragg to Raleigh (1.5 hour drive) and counted over 200 vehicles spun out or disabled along the highways. Even if from the north and you drove in it all of your life, there's no reason to risk it with what madness ensues from the locals.

I just got back from taking my dog on a 4 mile hike in the forest and it’s 73degrees. It‘s hard to believe it’s going down to 30 tonight in central Florida.

Reactions: Nitwit
Shuts everything down even at an inch. There is very little treatment of roads and these people either drive normal speed (5 to 10 above the limit) or crawl. Put the two types on an untreated road together and you get chaos.

In a light snow a few years ago before I retired, I traveled from Ft. Bragg to Raleigh (1.5 hour drive) and counted over 200 vehicles spun out or disabled along the highways. Even if from the north and you drove in it all of your life, there's no reason to risk it with what madness ensues from the locals.
I was in Austin last year on a very cold morning, for a flight. The pilot comes on and says the plane needs to be de-iced. OK, living on the north coast, no problem.

After 15 minutes, a pickup truck pulls up. Dude gets our of the truck, grabs a ladder from the back, straps on a device that looks like a bug spray can, and proceeds to walk up and down the wings spraying them. i laughed like crazy.

images

I was in Austin last year on a very cold morning, for a flight. The pilot comes on and says the plane needs to be de-iced. OK, living on the north coast, no problem.

After 15 minutes, a pickup truck pulls up. Dude gets our of the truck, grabs a ladder from the back, straps on a device that looks like a bug spray can, and proceeds to walk up and down the wings spraying them. i laughed like crazy.

images

Obli - De-icing isn’t a funny matter, that could have been your last laugh!

They took that day seriously in Austin, they were obviously past “a spray can in each hand” stage!

Reactions: Obliviax
Yup. They closed the entire post down today AND tomorrow. North Carolina at its finest. Only an inch so far down here in Fayetteville

It is neither the roads or the weather, but the fear that is the problem.

That looks more like 1 inch.

Still a rwd Caddy is a poor car to drive in that weather.

LdN
But it can be fun if there aren’t any pine trees in the vicinity.:)

One can only learn how to properly drive in the ice/snow if behind the wheel of a high-HP RWD vehicle. These FWD vehicles give marginal drivers a false sense of “driving ability”.

Reactions: 91Joe95
But it can be fun if there aren’t any pine trees in the vicinity.:)

One can only learn how to properly drive in the ice/snow if behind the wheel of a high-HP RWD vehicle. These FWD vehicles give marginal drivers a false sense of “driving ability”.

I wholeheartedly concur. My first vehicle was a big ol' rear wheel drive buick with a 307 V8. I could take that thing anywhere in the snow, and if someone got a little too close I'd just fishtail it a little and they got the hell away.

That looks more like 1 inch.

Still a rwd Caddy is a poor car to drive in that weather.

LdN

Says WHO? RWD is absolutely fine (it's FUN actually) - so long as you're not shod with performance or meh all-season tires in the slop...

I'm guessing Junior's Caddie is a CTS-V with AWD and if he's running around with 400+ bHp in the goo on OEM Michelin Pilot Sport 35-series tires, he was asking to center-punch that innocent pine tree.... one too many concussions for Jun'yah?

hate to break it to yah' but with all-season tires your AWD car is really no better than a lowly RWD or FWD ... in fact it becomes worse when driven by a dingbat who thinks AWD = immunity to loss-of-adhesion ...

Highway medians littered with AWD "crossovers" and SUVs during snowy conditions is testament to that... #southernspeed

Last edited:

You should have been here Tuesday. The whole city seemed to shut down because of ice on the bridges and a light dusting of snow. The problem isn't the amount of snow and ice. It's that people see it so rarely that they don't know how to drive in it. Check out the photo of the police shutting down a major entrance ramp onto I-35 on Tuesday because of winter! :eek:
290i35ramp.jpg

Reactions: 91Joe95
Says WHO? RWD is absolutely fine (it's FUN actually) - so long as you're not shod with performance or meh all-season tires in the slop...

I'm guessing Junior's Caddie is a CTS-V with AWD and if he's running around with 400+ bHp in the goo on OEM Michelin Pilot Sport 35-series tires, he was asking to center-punch that innocent pine tree.... one too many concussions for Jun'yah?

hate to break it to yah' but with all-season tires your AWD car is really no better than a lowly RWD or FWD ... in fact it becomes worse when driven by a dingbat who thinks AWD = immunity to loss-of-adhesion ...

Highway medians littered with AWD "crossovers" and SUVs during snowy conditions is testament to that... #southernspeed

Wow, this is quite a long post regarding a 5 second comment I made about that car.

That caddy is certainly a poor car in the snow. RWD, FWD, AWD or NWD.

RWD is fine. FWD is fine. That car? Tough to drive in the snow.

And the center punch? That was Jr. driving his vehicle... which was probably a pickup (given the winch in the photo).

LdN

Wow, this is quite a long post regarding a 5 second comment I made about that car.

That caddy is certainly a poor car in the snow. RWD, FWD, AWD or NWD.

RWD is fine. FWD is fine. That car? Tough to drive in the snow.

And the center punch? That was Jr. driving his vehicle... which was probably a pickup (given the winch in the photo).

LdN

Sorry - assumed you were one of them " shouldda had AWD " guys ... the same guys that are often the reason why traffic is backed up when the asphalt gets coated...

That Caddy would be just fine in the snow were it wearing the right boots... My point is ALL cars and crossovers are poor in-the-snow when they are spinning all-season tires.

I assumed Junior was driving that ditched Caddy (I recall he owns/partnered with Rick Hendrick on some Cadillac dealerships down yonder...) but yeah - apparently that's Junior workin' his Warn in this tweet

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT