ADVERTISEMENT

OT : Silly things you remember but are now long gone

I’m not sure if you’re questioning, but if a team got in the penalty and committed a shooting foul, the opposing team got to shoot three free throws to make two. Those words would roll off Zink’s tongue.

Here is a good one, if you watched girls basketball, they had players who did not go past half court. Only the offensive players were allowed to pass half court. I can’t remember who was who but one of those groups (either the players who could go past half court or the others) were called Rovers.
Originally girls basketball was six on six. Three offensive players and three defensive. Could not go past mid-court. Only two dribbles allowed before they had to pass ball. Later they allowed a rover type who could go across the half court line..

Iowa was about the last to play six on six. They had girls score in the Wilt levels...80, 90, 100 points. One team could not get the ball up court, the other would steal it, pass it to the scorer and one girl might score 100 in a game.

Last edited:
LOL, We now move to further action in the third quarter!
We were able to receive the Pittsburgh channels along with WSTV in Steubenville and WTRF in Wheeling. On Sundays I could watch The Bobby Bowden show (WTRF), The Woody Hayes Show (WSTV), The Johnny Majors Show, (WTAE), PSU Football Highlights, Grambling Football Highlights (loved the band) and Norte Dame Highlights That made a great lead in to the NFL games on Sunday mornings.
-Bill Campbell, By Saam and Richie Ashburn doing the Phillies game
-paying kids to ‘watch your car’ at Connie Mack Stadium (a good investment)
-Don Demeter in left, Tony Gonzalez in center, Johnny Callison in right, Clay Dalrymple behind the plate
-Phillies Excursions from Harrisburg, on the Pennsylvania RR
-Goldenberg’s Peanut Chews
-Fleer Bubble gum, with Fleer Funnies
-men wore white shirts and black pants to the baseball game (causing center field bleachers to be vacated, because the batter couldn’t see the ball)
-wool Little League uniforms, sweaty and itchy
-KDKA ‘party pretzel’
-Pittsburgh radio celebrity Al ‘jazzbeaux’ Collins
-the Green Weenie
-an Eagles QB named King Hill
-a Steeler QB named Dick Shiner...

-Bill Campbell, By Saam and Richie Ashburn doing the Phillies game
-paying kids to ‘watch your car’ at Connie Mack Stadium (a good investment)
-Don Demeter in left, Tony Gonzalez in center, Johnny Callison in right, Clay Dalrymple behind the plate
-Phillies Excursions from Harrisburg, on the Pennsylvania RR
-Goldenberg’s Peanut Chews
-Fleer Bubble gum, with Fleer Funnies
-men wore white shirts and black pants to the baseball game (causing center field bleachers to be vacated, because the batter couldn’t see the ball)
-wool Little League uniforms, sweaty and itchy
-KDKA ‘party pretzel’
-Pittsburgh radio celebrity Al ‘jazzbeaux’ Collins
-the Green Weenie
-an Eagles QB named King Hill
-a Steeler QB named Dick Shiner...
Bonus Babies in baseball. If the signing bonus was above a certain amount I believe $20,000.,the player had to spend 2 years on the major league roster. The players seldom played and their development was stunted. Who can forget the immortals Mack Burk and Tommy Qualters

Bonus Babies in baseball. If the signing bonus was above a certain amount I believe $20,000.,the player had to spend 2 years on the major league roster. The players seldom played and their development was stunted. Who can forget the immortals Mack Burk and Tommy Qualters
Wasn’t Greg Brady going to be a bonus baby in football? Speaking of that, how about watching all TV shows as a family every night?

Reactions: MacNit07
LOL, We now move to further action in the third quarter!
We were able to receive the Pittsburgh channels along with WSTV in Steubenville and WTRF in Wheeling. On Sundays I could watch The Bobby Bowden show (WTRF), The Woody Hayes Show (WSTV), The Johnny Majors Show, (WTAE), PSU Football Highlights, Grambling Football Highlights (loved the band) and Norte Dame Highlights That made a great lead in to the NFL games on Sunday mornings.

I liked the guy that was on the station out of either WV or OH but you could get it in SW PA and his name was George something and he had black hair and a mustache and he did the sports during the news broadcast. Can't remember his last name but there was something about that guy I liked.

Sports related -

1- Goal posts on the goal line. Think about that for a second with the risk of injury and you shake your head that this was the way you remember it.
The old Helmets without any face guard. When they called traveling in basketball, and palming the ball.

2- Pitcher striking out - A wonderful tradition where the opposing catcher flipped the ball to the pitcher who had just struck out for him to take to the mound.

3- You will never forget the best PA man ever Dave Zinkoff telling you that Earl Monroe was at the line shooting three for two and how the words rolled off his tongue. Ditto for him saying whoever was shooting t-eeeeeeeew.

4- The best ever tradition of the fielding team leaving their gloves on the field when they went to hit.

Non Sports Related

I can’t understand it but you youngins will never have to eat pistachios with dyed red shells and then washing your hands to get the dye off it. Just about every pistachio nut bag you could buy were red.

As a kid I remember “Japanese Apples” which became known later as pomegranates. They were garbage often given to farm animals. You could buy them for nothing at the store. Then they became a wonder fruit.

What else you got for stuff you remember that are gone or changed dramatically.
Sports related -

1- Goal posts on the goal line. Think about that for a second with the risk of injury and you shake your head that this was the way you remember it.

2- Pitcher striking out - A wonderful tradition where the opposing catcher flipped the ball to the pitcher who had just struck out for him to take to the mound.

3- You will never forget the best PA man ever Dave Zinkoff telling you that Earl Monroe was at the line shooting three for two and how the words rolled off his tongue. Ditto for him saying whoever was shooting t-eeeeeeeew.

4- The best ever tradition of the fielding team leaving their gloves on the field when they went to hit.

Non Sports Related

I can’t understand it but you youngins will never have to eat pistachios with dyed red shells and then washing your hands to get the dye off it. Just about every pistachio nut bag you could buy were red.

As a kid I remember “Japanese Apples” which became known later as pomegranates. They were garbage often given to farm animals. You could buy them for nothing at the store. Then they became a wonder fruit.

Putting aluminum foil on your rabbit ears to get a better television picture.

The skip in the middle of a song as the 8 track jumped from one program to the next...and it was always in the middle of the best song on the album.

Jamming up keys as you typed on a typewriter.

Getting your Atari and thinking the graphics were really amazing.
Don't forget hitting your TV to make the picture stabilize.

...ice cream cones that accommodated 2 or 3 scoops...
...boys boots that had a side pocket for your pen knife...
... kites that you made from scratch using the daily newspaper...
...jawbreakers...
...lever operated Irish mail kids cars...
...scooters made from an orange crate and roller skate wheels...

Originally girls basketball was six on six. Three offensive players and three defensive. Could not go past mid-court. Only two dribbles allowed before they had to pass ball. Later they allowed a rover type who could go across the half court line..

Iowa was about the last to play six on six. They had girls score in the Wilt levels...80, 90, 100 points. One team could not get the ball up court, the other would steal it, pass it to the scorer and one girl might score 100 in a game.

Thank you for the clarification. I seem to remember that one “group” wore something over their jerseys so the refs would know who was who so that a team couldn’t sneak a different player across mid court.

This is going deep into the memory banks for me. I remember the grade school had no sports for girls so I saw this just going to the high school with my buddies to see if we could shoot em up. Sometimes they would be having games and we’d watch for awhile.

Thank you for the clarification. I seem to remember that one “group” wore something over their jerseys so the refs would know who was who so that a team couldn’t sneak a different player across mid court.

This is going deep into the memory banks for me. I remember the grade school had no sports for girls so I saw this just going to the high school with my buddies to see if we could shoot em up. Sometimes they would be having games and we’d watch for awhile.
I don't remember "special" markings on the unis, but you may be right. My mother coached the basketball team of the Girls Athletic Association when I was in Jr. High. So, I went to a lot of practices but they only played a handful of games. It was so slow, even the worst refs could keep up!

Sports related -

Non Sports Related

I remember the pop companies offering sets of mini football helmets if you collected the caps off the bottles. I would go all over town to the pop machines with a magnet on a string to pull all the tops out of the machines.

Mini baseball helmets used to get ice cream in from the Stop-N-Go

literally just unpacked mine two days ago to find out I’m missing two teams

Gym class where you played kill ball (dodgeball) and the gym teacher would hit you in th face with a ball if you tried to cheat - lots of bloody noses after those games - and I remember getting jacked up against the locker by a teacher for some infraction.

Reactions: mdking001
A parent leaving their kid(s) in the car with it running so they could run into the convenience store/grocery store for a couple of items. My dad always left us with the order, 'don't touch anything'. If a parent does that nowadays, 4 squad cars surround them in the parking lot.

Someone mentioned cereal toys, etc earlier. How about kids and even those in their 20s not knowing the cereal mascots. They may know Tony the Tiger and MAYBE Toucan Sam. But they don't know Snap, Crackle, & Pop, Sugar Bear, Frank 'n Berry, Count Chocula, Sonny from Cocoa Puffs, etc etc. Cereal commercials used to be ubiquitous. Now, you can't find them on normal broadcast TV.

Sports related -

Non Sports Related

Needing to use a pay phone. $0.10 per call

Sports related -

Non Sports Related

Outdoor movie night one day per week in the Summertime in my neighborhood. Someone from the Borough staff would set up a screen (basically a large sheet) and an old projector and show classic kid-printed films - usually campy horror. Would rotate through the Borough - different place each night. Kids would show up with snacks and chairs/blankets and watch movie. Sprinkle in a little minor mayhem on the periphery of the light.

Sports related -

Non Sports Related

Chiller Theater. Terminal Stare attended my wedding!

Sports related -

Non Sports Related

Saturday Small Game hunting trips with Dad and my Uncles. We hunted Dawn until Noon. Noon to 1:00 pm lunch. 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm listen to Penn State football game (nap at halftime). Back out hunting until dusk. Drive home - stopping at Burger King for Double Whooper dinner.

Reactions: AlienWedge
How about when you first got a push button phone....you felt rich.

Man, I’m sure we would have. My late father was notoriously resistant to adopting certain “new” things. He held out for a looooong time against going to a touch tone line so he could save the extra 45 cents a month or whatever it cost at that time. I thought it was so cool when I could make a call home from my friend’s house who had one of those newfangled phones.

My dad also never had an ATM card in his life — “The banks want to get you dependent on those damn things so they can cut out tellers and the drive-through window!” And, he was the very last person on the payroll of his large corporate employer to go to a direct deposit paycheck, when they finally forced him to do so. He much preferred the satisfaction of bringing his physical check to the bank to deposit, and getting out a wad of cash to carry around for the next two weeks. Actually, he would break it into TWO wads of cash, and carry one in each pocket — just in case he got pick-pocketed on one side, it wouldn’t be a total loss.

Yep, my dad was truly old school and set in his ways. I guess that qualifies him too as one of those “silly” things of the past that are gone now, but certainly not forgotten — and deeply missed. :)

A parent leaving their kid(s) in the car with it running so they could run into the convenience store/grocery store for a couple of items. My dad always left us with the order, 'don't touch anything'. If a parent does that nowadays, 4 squad cars surround them in the parking lot.

Someone mentioned cereal toys, etc earlier. How about kids and even those in their 20s not knowing the cereal mascots. They may know Tony the Tiger and MAYBE Toucan Sam. But they don't know Snap, Crackle, & Pop, Sugar Bear, Frank 'n Berry, Count Chocula, Sonny from Cocoa Puffs, etc etc. Cereal commercials used to be ubiquitous. Now, you can't find them on normal broadcast TV.
Hell, now four squad cars surround you if you leave your dog in the car for three minutes. Police respond faster to that than a mugging.

Waking up on the couch to that test pattern after you had fallen asleep watching a late night show (like Kolchak: The Night Stalker).
Or in my case, after *missing* the Villanova-Georgetown game. I fell asleep on the couch--jet lag, as I'd just gotten back from the Middle East on Sunday. Woke up at midnight and could not find out who won until the next morning.

Reactions: MacNit07
Especially when you were already nervous about calling a girl....
The universal fear all guys have gone through....something girls can’t relate to. How many have hung up when someone answers on the other end?

Reactions: Ski
Franks Black Cherry Wishniak soda.

Wee Willie Webber

"He scores for a case of Tastykake"--Gene Hart

Last edited:
Reactions: colt21
Hey CV, do you have Prince Albert in a can???!!!!!
:):D:p:rolleyes:

You could order a pizza over the phone and stick a neighbor with the bill.

One thing we used to do... Soloflex used to advertise that you could get a videocassette mailed to you with a demo of their exercise equipment. So a few of us got in the habit of calling up their 800 number multiple times and ordering tapes under various names, which we would then record over with our favorite shows or music videos. We enjoyed making a daily call from the pay phone in our middle school lobby over lunchtime :confused:

The jig was up when the Post Office complained to my friend’s parents that “You need to inform us of all the people that are living at your address!”

ADVERTISEMENT