ADVERTISEMENT

OT- SIAP Shooting at Fedex Indianapolis Facility

As part of a civilized society, I accept taxes as part of the way we all pay for things to help the common good - military, infrastructure, public schools, police, firemen, public parks, etc. There are also programs and efforts I'm less supportive of, but understand I don't always get what I want. I pay a lot in taxes and live in a very expensive zip code. The schools are some of the best in the country and most of my taxes pay for them. But, my kids go to private school - so, no real direct benefit to me. Still, it's a benefit for those who use them and I would rather they be good and well funded in the event we decide to use them and for those who do use them. A rising tide and all. If your alternative is for everyone to pay companies to provide private school, access and maintenance of parks, space exploration, infrastructure, military, and police and firemen then well, I'd love to see that in action.

If those items were what government put their focus and efforts on and made them great, that sure would be something. We do know that if those were private entities main focus, they would either be good or go out of business.

If those items were what government put their focus and efforts on and made them great, that sure would be something. We do know that if those were private entities main focus, they would either be good or go out of business.

Might be good, but how would you afford them?

It's pretty easy to figure out. Come to my neck of the woods and ask yourself who lives in the multi-million dollar mansions overlooking the Potomac River, and how they got so rich. They are the true beneficiaries of your tax dollars at work. But, that doesn't bother you - if a congressman gets rich, that does. It's six of one, half dozen of another.

People who have bought off government workers. If you look at the structure of a successful criminal organization, and what government has morphed into, it is quite eye opening.

People who have bought off government workers. If you look at the structure of a successful criminal organization, and what government has morphed into, it is quite eye opening.

I'd contend the folks who are rich and powerful were likely born that way (with few exceptions). The idea that many politicians 'got rich' after being elected is only the case sometimes; in most others, they were born rich enough to pursue politics as a profession. Unlike the mob, the government is subject to FOIA. Get at it.

Might be good, but how would you afford them?

Interesting that you find lack of funding to be the problem. As an example, I bet private school teachers make less than public school teachers. The big difference? Accountability.

Reactions: Eric_M
Interesting that you find lack of funding to be the problem. As an example, I bet private school teachers make less than public school teachers. The big difference? Accountability.

Never said it was ‘the’ problem. But, we’re way off topic here. Catch ya later.

Reactions: 91Joe95
I'd contend the folks who are rich and powerful were likely born that way (with few exceptions). The idea that many politicians 'got rich' after being elected is only the case sometimes; in most others, they were born rich enough to pursue politics as a profession. Unlike the mob, the government is subject to FOIA. Get at it.
You’d be wrong....roughly 20% of millionaires were born that way, the other 80% are first generation.

Reactions: Ski
I think this is less likely at the federal level. More likely at state/local level. But, I disagree with you overall on how hard someone works to get where they are and how versus elected officials (which I do not consider 'the government'), but I digress.
Board of directors and companies don’t just pull people off the street or from off their couch and make them CEO’s (as much as so many with class envy think). They put in countless hours and either start the company, work their way up through the company, or move from company to company moving up the ladder each time. The only people who think otherwise seem to be those in academia. I am very good friends with my company’s CEO and I know what it took for him to get there and what he has to do now that he’s there, and I don’t want the job, I can promise you that. Most people couldn’t work the hours necessary or make the personal sacrifices needed to become a successful CEO.

Board of directors and companies don’t just pull people off the street or from off their couch and make them CEO’s (as much as so many with class envy think). They put in countless hours and either start the company, work their way up through the company, or move from company to company moving up the ladder each time. The only people who think otherwise seem to be those in academia. I am very good friends with my company’s CEO and I know what it took for him to get there and what he has to do now that he’s there, and I don’t want the job, I can promise you that. Most people couldn’t work the hours necessary or make the personal sacrifices needed to become a successful CEO.

Are you suggesting I have ‘class envy’?

Your conflating issues. Things rarely, very rarely, get done in politics unless the politician and their benefactors can benefit financially from it. They've simply made their version of money laundering and insider information legal. Heck, some of the accounting practices they use are flat out illegal in the private sector.

Reactions: psrurock
I saw an article a while ago that showed that all of the mass shooters were on some type of prescription psychotic drug. Maybe we should start there to try and fix this problem.
Why won't society allow us to have this conversation?

because our politics has become a zero sum game- the result is that everyone loses
No doubt....it’s no longer about what’s best for the people, it’s about whose side you’re on. Someone could come up with the perfect solution and half the country wouldn’t like it because of what party they’re affiliated with.

The teenager police say fatally shot eight people at a FedEx warehouse in Indianapolis this week legally purchased the two semiautomatic rifles he used even though the FBI questioned him last year after a disturbing warning from his mother, police said Saturday.
Agents interviewed Brandon Hole a year ago after his mother told law enforcement that she feared her son might attempt “suicide by cop.” Hole, 19, took his own life after the FedEx shooting on Thursday.
Paul Keenan, the special agent in charge of the FBI’s Indianapolis field office, said agents found no evidence of a crime then.
But the Indianapolis Metro Police Department at the time placed the teen on a “mental health temporary hold” at a local hospital to assess his state of mind. They also confiscated a shotgun Hole had purchased within the previous 24 hours. The police report noted that the shotgun was seized from a “dangerous person,” The Indianapolis Star Tribune reported.
The shotgun was never returned to Hole, Metropolitan Police Chief Randal Taylor told The New York Times. Yet the teen was nevertheless able to legally purchase the two powerful assault rifles last July and September, according to police.

more: https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/bran...ed-flag-laws-two-semiautomatic-041252695.html

The teenager police say fatally shot eight people at a FedEx warehouse in Indianapolis this week legally purchased the two semiautomatic rifles he used even though the FBI questioned him last year after a disturbing warning from his mother, police said Saturday.
Agents interviewed Brandon Hole a year ago after his mother told law enforcement that she feared her son might attempt “suicide by cop.” Hole, 19, took his own life after the FedEx shooting on Thursday.
Paul Keenan, the special agent in charge of the FBI’s Indianapolis field office, said agents found no evidence of a crime then.
But the Indianapolis Metro Police Department at the time placed the teen on a “mental health temporary hold” at a local hospital to assess his state of mind. They also confiscated a shotgun Hole had purchased within the previous 24 hours. The police report noted that the shotgun was seized from a “dangerous person,” The Indianapolis Star Tribune reported.
The shotgun was never returned to Hole, Metropolitan Police Chief Randal Taylor told The New York Times. Yet the teen was nevertheless able to legally purchase the two powerful assault rifles last July and September, according to police.

more: https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/bran...ed-flag-laws-two-semiautomatic-041252695.html
Certainly need to tighten some of these laws. Someone that unstable shouldn’t not be allowed to buy weapons until and after he/she has been examined and determined mentally fit. Problem is that it becomes a slippery slope, especially in jurisdictions that are anti gun.

It is extremely difficult to get carry permits already in many cities like NYC and DC. How do legislators write a law that is protective yet fair?

If you try to use Mental Illness as a reason to bar the purchase of guns you will get a lot of pushback - notbaying it doesn’t make sense to do it, it does but a lot of mental health advocates will push back as stigmatizing the mentally ill.

If you try to use Mental Illness as a reason to bar the purchase of guns you will get a lot of pushback - notbaying it doesn’t make sense to do it, it does but a lot of mental health advocates will push back as stigmatizing the mentally ill.
Creates many issues. What about veterans of wars with sleeping problems, nightmares, and more? People with problems will likely avoid treatment to avoid losing their weapons. Angry ex spouses/significant others filing clams as revenge or anger. Many jurisdictions using those laws to make owning weapons even more difficult.

No easy answers.

We also need to know what, if anything, was put in the background check database by the FBI that might have shown up when it was run. My company does checks and often times things are missing because they weren’t entered in the first place. These databases are only as good as the info that’s been put in them.

Given societal sensitivities, isn’t it un-WOKE. o_O to say “shotgun” formation in football? Maybe it’s high time we called it something else. The trick is to find an alternative that no one finds offensive. The ramifications are enormous.

🤔

Given societal sensitivities, isn’t it un-WOKE. o_O to say “shotgun” formation in football? Maybe it’s high time we called it something else. The trick is to find an alternative that no one finds offensive. The ramifications are enormous.

🤔
OTOH, what would be an acceptable term for the QB under center?? That's currently on offensive term (pun intended) here at PSU. 🤷‍♂️

• Haha

Anything that prevents or delays the acquisition of firearms will get pushback. Anything - total nonstarter. The hardest R's on the hill will say just because a person is mentally ill, that does not take away his constitutional right to own a firearm. The 'slippery slope' that they, and many here use, is the reason. I mean, the Constitution doesn't say you have to be sane to own a firearm. It seems like a no-brainer to bar firearm acquisitions for some folks (former felons, history of documented mental illness, etc.), but the line has been drawn. It will take someone of significant importance and power to be gunned down I think for anything to change. Even then, would probably have an easier time amending the Constitution. And that ain't happening.

pushback be damned- crazy people should not have access to guns

Reactions: Midnighter2
ADVERTISEMENT