ADVERTISEMENT

OT- SIAP Shooting at Fedex Indianapolis Facility

I currently have a package coming to me from FedEx. It currently is in Indianapolis. Somehow that brought the reality of this home to me more. So sad....:(

• Sad
Reactions: STPGopherfan
Just heard an eyewitness say that one of his coworkers got his own got from his truck to stop the shooter. He ended up dead.

Hard to see how to end the gun violence when there already are so many in private hands. Maybe raise the cost of bullets by raising the tax on them (ala Chris Rock)? If you outlaw automatic rifle sales overnight would that prevent future mass shootings? I'd be interested to know how many people bought guns shortly before going on a shooting spree.

Just heard an eyewitness say that one of his coworkers got his own got from his truck to stop the shooter. He ended up dead.

Hard to see how to end the gun violence when there already are so many in private hands. Maybe raise the cost of bullets by raising the tax on them (ala Chris Rock)? If you outlaw automatic rifle sales overnight would that prevent future mass shootings? I'd be interested to know how many people bought guns shortly before going on a shooting spree.
Ahhhhh... automatic weapons are not available to general public workout extremely high over sight

Reactions: FHSPSU67
It is pretty amazing that through all of this that so few people know you cannot buy automatic rifles. I know that you technically can but not without extreme time, cost and scrutiny.

I misstated. When I said automatic rifles I actually meant any gun with with a magazine that you can shoot simply by pulling a trigger. The shooter in Georgia used a handgun.
So.... guns are good and bad(?). Or is it the person holding the gun(?).

Give me a break. Obviously it's the shooter. BUT it's also his access to guns.

I saw a TV phone-in interview with the president of the Indianapolis city counsel. What a dumbass. He was already beating the mental health drum. The news anchor asked if he knew the identity of the shooter. He said he didn't. Still, that didn't stop him from assuming why the incident happened. It's a good thing he's not an investigator.

Reactions: gslachta
What do you mean when you say ‘automatic’? Full auto or as fast as you can fire?

As fast as you can fire. For mass shootings a Glock with an 18 bullet magazine is obviously way more deadly than a hunter rifle.

Interesting interview with Adam Lankford, a University of Alabama professor, who researches mass shootings. He compared various statistics across the globe.

1) The U.S. has about 5% of the world's population.
2) The U.S. had 30% of the world's mass shooters.
3) The U.S. has 40% of the world's firearms (I think he meant in private hands.)
4) The U.S. has a normal rate of suicide, which according to him correlates closely with mental illness.
5) Looked at other statistics, but U.S. didn't stand out.
6) His research led to conclusion that among mass shooters, the desire to kill came before the acquisition of firearms.

Reactions: hlstone
I saw a TV phone-in interview with the president of the Indianapolis city counsel. What a dumbass. He was already beating the mental health drum. The news anchor asked if he knew the identity of the shooter. He said he didn't. Still, that didn't stop him from assuming why the incident happened. It's a good thing he's not an investigator.
Are you saying it's not a mental health issue? I mean who in their right mind would grab a gun and start shooting people?

I would think that any mass murderer/shooter would have some kind of mental illness.

Reactions: Pocono Lion
It appears to have been an employee.

They're probably busy scrubbing his/her/its digital footprint from the internet.

Reactions: TheBigUglies
Do you disagree that the way we handle mental health as a society is completely broken/inadequate? I don't think there are that many people who open fire in a workplace who are also fully mentally stable.

Are you saying it's not a mental health issue? I mean who in their right mind would grab a gun and start shooting people?

I would think that any mass murderer/shooter would have some kind of mental illness.
I have no idea if it's a mental health issue and at this point neither does anyone else. Maybe the person is simply a monster. There are people like that.

Automatic weapon has always been defined as multiple repeating rounds with a single trigger pull. An AR 15 is semi automatic, ten rounds require ten trigger pulls. The M16/M4 have setting for semi or full automatic.

Three round burst on M16A2 too; always qualified expert ;). And really, it’s irrelevant. I know the semantics make people feel better, but the reality is unless you have an unlimited/massive clip or are laying down suppressive fire, no one uses ‘full’ auto and no one is trained for that. Semi-auto is as destructive and more deliberate.

Automatic weapon has always been defined as multiple repeating rounds with a single trigger pull. An AR 15 is semi automatic, ten rounds require ten trigger pulls. The M16/M4 have setting for semi or full automatic.

Not for handguns which are also weapons.

I have no idea if it's a mental health issue and at this point neither does anyone else. Maybe the person is simply a monster. There are people like that.
Monsters usually have mental health issues I would think. Although probably not easily diagnosable and probably not getting the help they need.

Just saw this on the news. No idea if it is factual since it is all about who breaks it first:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/16/us/indianapolis-fedex-shooting-suspect/index.html

Excerpts From the article:

A family member of the suspected shooter reached out to authorities warning about the suspect's potential for violence, according to three law enforcement sources briefed on the matter.
It was not clear when the warning was given but the outreach was followed up by both local authorities and the FBI, which opened a preliminary investigation into any possible threat, the sources said.

The FBI eventually closed their inquiry into the suspect after concluding there wasn't sufficient evidence to continue it, according to the sources, who did not specify why federal investigators dropped the matter.

Monsters usually have mental health issues I would think. Although probably not easily diagnosable and probably not getting the help they need.

Just say this on the news. No idea if it is factual since it is all about who breaks it first:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/16/us/indianapolis-fedex-shooting-suspect/index.html

Excerpts From the article:

A family member of the suspected shooter reached out to authorities warning about the suspect's potential for violence, according to three law enforcement sources briefed on the matter.
It was not clear when the warning was given but the outreach was followed up by both local authorities and the FBI, which opened a preliminary investigation into any possible threat, the sources said.

The FBI eventually closed their inquiry into the suspect after concluding there wasn't sufficient evidence to continue it, according to the sources, who did not specify why federal investigators dropped the matter.
i read an article several years ago stating that the USA closed our mental illness homes in the 60s and 70s and that population is, now, either in jail or homeless. There was an almost direct correlation between the population drop in mental illness homes and increases in homelessness/jails. I've tried to find it but have been unsuccessful. I often wonder if we should just fund these mental illness homes again.

I saw an article a while ago that showed that all of the mass shooters were on some type of prescription psychotic drug. Maybe we should start there to try and fix this problem.

I misstated. When I said automatic rifles I actually meant any gun with with a magazine that you can shoot simply by pulling a trigger. The shooter in Georgia used a handgun.

Give me a break. Obviously it's the shooter. BUT it's also his access to guns.
I was speaking more in generalities. A lot of people hear semi-automatic and have visions of Tommy Guns or Uzi's blasting away. Many don't understand 1 pull 1 shot.

I saw an article a while ago that showed that all of the mass shooters were on some type of prescription psychotic drug. Maybe we should start there to try and fix this problem.
This is one of the reasons why I won't take drugs unless told it is terminal. I HATE drugs with a passion. Many of these kids have a growth spurt, both physical and mental, and get put on some kind of anti-depressant which they end up being on for the rest of their lives. I often wonder if everyone should take a two week "detox" on everything and start over from scratch. My brother took care of my elderly mother for a long time and ended up cutting and eliminating prescription drug she got on for some gull bladder, IUT infection, gout, etc. over the years. He told me he thinks he extended her life ten or fifteen years by eliminating the drug cocktail she took on a daily basis.

Former 19 Year old employee with 2 prior arrests who was suicidal. Let's see if they release how\where he obtained the gun because apparently his shotgun was sized as part of one of those priors.

https://nypost.com/2021/04/16/fedex-shooter-idd-as-19-year-old-brandon-scott-hole/

From Artical:
At a press conference Friday afternoon, authorities said Hole had two prior arrests, in 2020 and in 2013.

McCartt said in last year’s bust, a gun was seized.

Arrested in 2013? That means he was arrested at 11 years old? Maybe a misprint?

Reactions: 91Joe95
As fast as you can fire. For mass shootings a Glock with an 18 bullet magazine is obviously way more deadly than a hunter rifle.

Interesting interview with Adam Lankford, a University of Alabama professor, who researches mass shootings. He compared various statistics across the globe.

1) The U.S. has about 5% of the world's population.
2) The U.S. had 30% of the world's mass shooters.
3) The U.S. has 40% of the world's firearms (I think he meant in private hands.)
4) The U.S. has a normal rate of suicide, which according to him correlates closely with mental illness.
5) Looked at other statistics, but U.S. didn't stand out.
6) His research led to conclusion that among mass shooters, the desire to kill came before the acquisition of firearms.
I'd be surprised if we don't stand out in % of drug use.

Reactions: Obliviax
Mental or even with the monster, I suspect some sort of copycat mindset kicks in! Now the crazies and/or depraved, don't have to have their radio on or wait for the evening news, they can get the urge on their phone or PC in possibly minutes after the the latest tragedy.

You just don't see this level of coverage for the hundreds of minority kids murdered every year in (insert city name here).

ADVERTISEMENT