ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Should I get an elliptical machine for the home?

Op2

Mar 16, 2014
I used to belong to a gym and I really liked the elliptical. I quit the gym and tried a rower and didn't use it and then a stationary bike and didn't use it. The reason I didn't get an elliptical when I quit the gym is because they're so darn big and heavy. But the reality that I don't seem to use cardio machines other than the elliptical has hit me, thus I'm considering getting an elliptical.

I'm tall and the elliptical I used at the gym had and adjustable stride length and on it I used a 24 inch stride, which may have been too long or too short for optimal for me, but it was at least ballpark. OTOH most of the elliptical I've research have a stride length of 20 inches and I'm wary of getting one of those lest it be too short for me. Are there any tall guys that have used a 20 inch stride machine and if so, any problems? It seems that the ones with the longer strides are more expensive, which is fine if that's what's required for taller people but I just want to be sure.

In addition to the stride length I'm worried about having to move the damn thing eventually, even though I have no plans to move in the near future. But those things are (a) bulky (unless you disassemble them) and (b) HEAVY. I don't want to think what it would be like having to move one of them. So the next question is, has anyone tried to move one of these things? I can probably get it delivered to my house since i'd be paying to buy it but once it's yours and in your house you're on your own.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

walking is good try going on hills both up and down them at a brisk pace for at least sixty minutes. I am about to go out now at 5am. 29 degrees but I dress for the weather. no expensive heavy machines but excellent cardio.

My wife and I use our elliptical machine almost every day. They're very good for maintaining fitness while minimizing any damage to joints (especially important as you get older...). I used to go running but I can't do it on a regular basis anymore...my knees protest too much.

We're fortunate in that we have a great fitness store (sells ellipticals, treadmills, weight machines, etc.) near us. We bought our latest elliptical from them. The best thing to do is go to the store and try it out. Fortunately, my wife and I are about the same size so we can both use the thing comfortably.

As far as being concerned about moving it...in my mind, that's what moving companies are for! :D You're right, the machines have a bit of weight to them...and they should, because you're going to be using it. If you can go to a store, I'd at least check to see that you can move the thing (pick up one end and drag it) in case you need to move it around the room.

I have had one for about 12 years now that I'm attempting to sell on Craigs List. It's a Life Fitness X1 that I bought mainly for my wife to use. She used it sporadically but I've been the main user over the years. It's been great for parking myself in front of a football game for an hour or more instead of sitting.

The stride I believe is 19-20. I intentionally got a little longer stride than most just so that my wife would used it. I'm around 6' and the stride I'd say is fine but on the lower end of my range. In terms of cardio workout I used to be able to push myself on it. Anymore I need something that's going to force me to go faster like the treadmill or stairmaster at the gym. In any case it looks like you'd need a longer stride machine.

We're looking to downsize so that's why I'm trying to sell. I'd keep it otherwise. I'm assuming it can be disassembled into a couple of parts. If not I'm screwed because it will never make it out of my basement!

One key question to answer is, if you buy it, will you actually use it on a regular basis? If not you are wasting your money. As somebody else posted in the thread, walking is excellent and free. You can make it more difficult by carrying hand weights or using a weighted back pack. Problem is, walking in bad weather such as cold, rain, wind is not fun and generally does not get done by most people too.

The key is actually doing something.

I used to belong to a gym and I really liked the elliptical. I quit the gym and tried a rower and didn't use it and then a stationary bike and didn't use it. The reason I didn't get an elliptical when I quit the gym is because they're so darn big and heavy. But the reality that I don't seem to use cardio machines other than the elliptical has hit me, thus I'm considering getting an elliptical.

I'm tall and the elliptical I used at the gym had and adjustable stride length and on it I used a 24 inch stride, which may have been too long or too short for optimal for me, but it was at least ballpark. OTOH most of the elliptical I've research have a stride length of 20 inches and I'm wary of getting one of those lest it be too short for me. Are there any tall guys that have used a 20 inch stride machine and if so, any problems? It seems that the ones with the longer strides are more expensive, which is fine if that's what's required for taller people but I just want to be sure.

In addition to the stride length I'm worried about having to move the damn thing eventually, even though I have no plans to move in the near future. But those things are (a) bulky (unless you disassemble them) and (b) HEAVY. I don't want to think what it would be like having to move one of them. So the next question is, has anyone tried to move one of these things? I can probably get it delivered to my house since i'd be paying to buy it but once it's yours and in your house you're on your own.

An elliptical could turn you gay. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Anyone have a Peloton? I spin a few times a week at my gym for cardio but a new job is going to almost negate my ability to make the classes.

My wife bought a BowFlex Max Trainer (the middle of the range one) and loves it. It is a cross between an elliptical and a stair trainer. I use it here and there, but I prefer the treadmill and free weights... when it is above 50 I hit the roads on my gravel bike.

Can't wait to move into our new home next Summer... larger fitness room will get the Max, treadmill, weights, and I really want a rower (was always my favorite machine at the gym), a 60" screen... looking forward to it... and the roads around the new place will make biking much more fun as well!

Reactions: PSUFBFAN
Anyone have a Peloton? I spin a few times a week at my gym for cardio but a new job is going to almost negate my ability to make the classes.

I have heard nothing but rave reviews from the two people I know that have them. They both have severe allergies so they are not able to ride outside. They love that they can 'compete' against other riders across the globe, and the trainers are really good as well.

Reactions: heckmans and Nitwit
Everyone loves them. I’m constantly on the bike so I don’t need one. Otherwise, I’d have one.

It depends if you ran out of space to hang your laundry.

Reactions: Ranger Dan

Since you opened it up to any thoughts, here’s mine. Start by determining what you WANT to do, whether it’s return to the gym, but a bike, an elliptical, etc. If you buy something, be sure spend enough that you’ll feel like crap every time you walk past it if not using it regularly.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
One key question to answer is, if you buy it, will you actually use it on a regular basis? If not you are wasting your money. As somebody else posted in the thread, walking is excellent and free. You can make it more difficult by carrying hand weights or using a weighted back pack. Problem is, walking in bad weather such as cold, rain, wind is not fun and generally does not get done by most people too.

The key is actually doing something.
I’m walking 4-5 miles a day these days wind, rain , or shine.

Reactions: PSU Soupy
My wife bought a BowFlex Max Trainer (the middle of the range one) and loves it. It is a cross between an elliptical and a stair trainer. I use it here and there, but I prefer the treadmill and free weights... when it is above 50 I hit the roads on my gravel bike.

Can't wait to move into our new home next Summer... larger fitness room will get the Max, treadmill, weights, and I really want a rower (was always my favorite machine at the gym), a 60" screen... looking forward to it... and the roads around the new place will make biking much more fun as well!

I considered the BowFlex Max and it looked pretty good but I was wary of getting something I had never used before since I've just finished buying but not using a rowing machine and a stationary bike, neither of which I had used before (aside from a minute or two in the store I mean). From what I read the BowFlex Max is a pretty tough thing that can kick your rear end if you're not in shape.

My girlfriend has one. She loves it. I find it a bit cult-like (facebook groups, group challenges, etc). I'm not a fan of the required subscription fee model, so make sure you factor that in to the economics.

I prefer a recumbent bike. Much easier on my bean bag.

I’m walking 4-5 miles a day these days wind, rain , or shine.
Your in the minority, too many people just need an excuse, any excuse to not exercise...weather conditions being one of them.

Definitely getting outside and exercising is very good for you.

If you know you like it, buy it. I have a recumbent bike, a rowing machine and free weights. Have your "gym" in your home is huge in terms of eliminating excuses to work out. I work out six days a week (seven if you count walking 4+ miles a day); three of those are usually things I like (tennis/basketball) and 3 are home gym workouts. There's no way I'd go to the gym 3 days a week.

However, I never use the rowing machine. It was a bad purchase because I hadn't spent enough time on one to realize that I didn't like it.

I can't comment on the elliptical stride length (for some reasons ellipticals hurt my knees in a way that running, tennis, basketball, rowing, biking do not), but I'd be cautious about height. If you are in a normal height ceiling room you will be OK, but if you are thinking about putting it in a basement workout room, be cautious about head space because they are higher off than ground than a treadmill would be (plus your height).

In terms of size/moving it, when you want to rid of it, advertise it online (or use freecycle). Some dummies will come hurt their backs moving a cheap/free machine.

I've always been a big believer in the adage: the best exercise is the one that you'll do.

So, if your "go to" is the elyptical, why not - as long as the logistics of your home permit it (floor space, ceiling height, doorway width).

I bought a Life Fitness machine about 10 years ago and still use it on a regular basis. I am taller than average, and the stride length is fine for me. The ceiling height in my basement is another issue.

Your in the minority, too many people just need an excuse, any excuse to not exercise...weather conditions being one of them.

Definitely getting outside and exercising is very good for you.
My wife bought a Fitbit knockoff so I decided I’d get one too. 35 dollars only. I count 10,000 plus steps and it’s been helping. Some days I’ll just walk extra inside at work , but I’m definitely walking more than before.

Reactions: Lyons212
I got two. One each for the home & garden. I'm still just a little eccentric.

I bought a Life Fitness machine about 10 years ago and still use it on a regular basis. I am taller than average, and the stride length is fine for me. The ceiling height in my basement is another issue.

The elliptical in the gym that I used and liked was a Life Fitness. But it had an adjustable stride and I made the stride longer because I have long legs. Are you saying your Life Fitness is of fixed stride length? If so then the length probably isn't too long and if it's okay for you then maybe it would be okay for me.

The elliptical in the gym that I used and liked was a Life Fitness. But it had an adjustable stride and I made the stride longer because I have long legs. Are you saying your Life Fitness is of fixed stride length? If so then the length probably isn't too long and if it's okay for you then maybe it would be okay for me.
No. My machine has an adjustable stride. I'm just saying I was able to adjust the stride to where I needed it, and there is still room to lengthen it further.

Because I am cheap and I don't need the competition factor, I bought a good spin bike from Amazon and I subscribed to the Peloton app. It is a fraction of the full monthly Peloton subscription and you still get the instructors. If the cost isn't an issue, or if you want the group dynamic then go for the full experience, but this worked for me.

Just out of curiosity of the people that do the stationary bike, does your butt get numb after awhile? I didn't use my bike much and although one reason was that I just wasn't that into it another reason was that after I got off after 30 minutes my entire area down there was numb and I was a bit afraid that if I did that every day I might be doing some damage.

Just out of curiosity of the people that do the stationary bike, does your butt get numb after awhile? I didn't use my bike much and although one reason was that I just wasn't that into it another reason was that after I got off after 30 minutes my entire area down there was numb and I was a bit afraid that if I did that every day I might be doing some damage.

The beauty of spin programs is that you're not in the saddle for extended periods. Lots of interval training, sprints, "climbs", etc. I'm off the seat more than not. Can't just sit and ride for an hour, that would get old quick (for me).

Reactions: CF LION

You need to get a different bike seat.

9553483df26ba0551ea3d9f3b06ec033.jpg

The beauty of spin programs is that you're not in the saddle for extended periods. Lots of interval training, sprints, "climbs", etc. I'm off the seat more than not. Can't just sit and ride for an hour, that would get old quick (for me).

From my experience this is the real beauty of taking a spin class:
bike-buying-guide-e1468958198829.jpg
giphy.gif

I considered the BowFlex Max and it looked pretty good but I was wary of getting something I had never used before since I've just finished buying but not using a rowing machine and a stationary bike, neither of which I had used before (aside from a minute or two in the store I mean). From what I read the BowFlex Max is a pretty tough thing that can kick your rear end if you're not in shape.

I don't use it very often because it DOES kick your ass. You THINK you are in shape? Get on a Max and give it a go! When you are running the different programs you have to keep an eye on the display - when the bar goes up that indicates resistance is higher, you also want to keep the dial gauge within the range it indicates... they are not kidding when they say 14 minutes is all you need... 14 minutes is the MOST you can do! LOL!

I was going to suggest the same thing. I do not have a Peloton, but one of my good friends does that I have used. I have also been to their NYC studio and taken a few classes that are live-streamed to the bikes at home. I will say this...Peloton is pretty awesome!

It gives you the group class feel at home. For people that like competition, every person in the class is measured and you "race." Provides a great workout. The instructors are also top notch and very motivating. They were just having a big black friday sale on the bike. Not sure if it is still going on.

FWIW, they also just released a tread mill.

ADVERTISEMENT