ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Should I get an elliptical machine for the home?

From my experience this is the real beauty of taking a spin class:
bike-buying-guide-e1468958198829.jpg
giphy.gif

Yeah but do they complain if you bring your bike to the front and turn it around to face them?

I don't use it very often because it DOES kick your ass. You THINK you are in shape? Get on a Max and give it a go! When you are running the different programs you have to keep an eye on the display - when the bar goes up that indicates resistance is higher, you also want to keep the dial gauge within the range it indicates... they are not kidding when they say 14 minutes is all you need... 14 minutes is the MOST you can do! LOL!

I just got back from Dick's Sporting Goods where I tried some ellipticals and also the BowFlex Max Trainer and I'm not actually considering the BowFlex instead. It is pretty tough but as I understand it you can put it on the lower setting. It was somewhat different but I still liked it, unlike the rowing machine or the bike after my butt got numb. And plus the Bowflex has a smaller footprint than an elliptical and only weights 150-ish as opposed to 250-ish like those nice ellipticals I was looking at.

In fact I might even see if I can get a Bowflex on Craig's List. I wonder if that would be a bad move. People are famous for buying exercise equipment and then wanting to get rid of it because they don't use it but OTOH you can't be sure it doesn't have a problem that shows up only after 10-20 minutes of usage (unless you test it for 10-20 minutes). And you don't have to pay tax or pay someone to assemble it or assemble it yourself. You do however have to find a way to get it to your place and I bet it's harder to move once it's put together.

I just got back from Dick's Sporting Goods where I tried some ellipticals and also the BowFlex Max Trainer and I'm not actually considering the BowFlex instead. It is pretty tough but as I understand it you can put it on the lower setting. It was somewhat different but I still liked it, unlike the rowing machine or the bike after my butt got numb. And plus the Bowflex has a smaller footprint than an elliptical and only weights 150-ish as opposed to 250-ish like those nice ellipticals I was looking at.

In fact I might even see if I can get a Bowflex on Craig's List. I wonder if that would be a bad move. People are famous for buying exercise equipment and then wanting to get rid of it because they don't use it but OTOH you can't be sure it doesn't have a problem that shows up only after 10-20 minutes of usage (unless you test it for 10-20 minutes). And you don't have to pay tax or pay someone to assemble it or assemble it yourself. You do however have to find a way to get it to your place and I bet it's harder to move once it's put together.

It has wheels on the ends of the frame below the main unit. That makes it pretty easy to maneuver, even on carpet.

Getting it to your place may be an issue if you do not have an open bed truck or a box truck.

We had no problem getting her's up and down the stairs when we had the carpet replaced a few years ago.

Yep, especially if you are older, lifting weight should be the top priority to counter/slowdown the loss of muscle mass.

I concur with this. If you feel you need cardio, just reduce time between sets. I think it's actually better cardio than using a bike, treadmill, or elliptical, since those involve repeated movements of the same muscle groups.

I invested in a functional trainer that has an integrated Smith bar, which lets me work every muscle group. Instead of squats or deadlifts, I do leg presses using the system's bench and Smith bar. Two Harbinger rubber bar wraps pad the feet. It works well.

I concur with this. If you feel you need cardio, just reduce time between sets. I think it's actually better cardio than using a bike, treadmill, or elliptical, since those involve repeated movements of the same muscle groups.

I invested in a functional trainer that has an integrated Smith bar, which lets me work every muscle group. Instead of squats or deadlifts, I do leg presses using the system's bench and Smith bar. Two Harbinger rubber bar wraps pad the feet. It works well.
If you want to do cardio with weights try doing complexes of 6 exercises with 8 reps each. Bar never touches the floor until all 6 exercises are done, rest a minute repeat 3 more times.

My wife bought a BowFlex Max Trainer (the middle of the range one) and loves it. It is a cross between an elliptical and a stair trainer. I use it here and there, but I prefer the treadmill and free weights... when it is above 50 I hit the roads on my gravel bike.

Can't wait to move into our new home next Summer... larger fitness room will get the Max, treadmill, weights, and I really want a rower (was always my favorite machine at the gym), a 60" screen... looking forward to it... and the roads around the new place will make biking much more fun as well!
Ya.....we got one of those, same one. It's surprisingly a good workout. I think better than an elliptical.

Speaking of elliptical machines... my wife and I are selling ours. It a Sole 35 and was sparsely used and well maintained. Let me know if interested.

Speaking of elliptical machines... my wife and I are selling ours. It a Sole 35 and was sparsely used and well maintained. Let me know if interested.
How much do you want for it? Treadmill Doctor only gives that machine 2.5 stars out of 10!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT