ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Seeking a good campground/site in Eastern Pa./Jersey/Maryland

TCFA-Nit

Sep 9, 2004
Hey all,

Seeking your suggestions here. My brother-in-law is getting married and for the bachelor party, we're looking to do a long weekend of camping somewhere within 2-3 hours of Philly. We'd like to go somewhere where we can do some mountain biking, fishing, etc. We had originally planned on Rickett's Glen but apparently the no-alcohol policy is pretty strict; we would just like to be able to have a few beers at the end of the day and not be hassled.

If anyone has any input it would be appreciated. Again, within 3 hours of Philly is ideal -- open to suggestions in Maryland, Jersey, etc.

Check out some of the state parks around Lake Wallenpaupack--there is a lot of neat stuff around there.

Check into Elk Neck State Forest/ State Park in Maryland, hour out from Phila....

Tohickon Valley Park in Bucks County. It's adjacent to Ralph Stover State Park. Between the two there are lots of trails and you could always head down and ride the Delaware Canal towpath down to New Hope and hit the many bars. Tohickon is a county park so the alcohol rules are much more relaxed than the state park. It has a pool and a nice trout stream, Tohickon Creek, that runs through the park. They also have some cabins for rent, or at least they did in the past.

Lots of vineyards in the area as well. As a teen in the 70's we used to hit Buckingham Valley Vineyard and purchase a case of wine, cold and opened, for the camping trip. Yes, I know but it was the 70's and well before Nancy Reagan and her "Just Say No" campaign.

Oh, and if you haven't been to New Hope it's worth the trip if you like art, unique shops, restaurants, and bar, lots of them. Thousands of motorcycle descend up New Hope every nice weather weekend. It right along and Delaware river...highly recommended.

Last edited:
How about the Delaware Water Gap... we had fun doing a weekend long canoe trip a few years ago. It's not an adreneline rush, but was great country to paddle through.

Another option that is a little futher away is the PA Grand Canyon near Wellsboro. Lots of hiking, biking, and water fun there.

Hey all,

Seeking your suggestions here. My brother-in-law is getting married and for the bachelor party, we're looking to do a long weekend of camping somewhere within 2-3 hours of Philly. We'd like to go somewhere where we can do some mountain biking, fishing, etc. We had originally planned on Rickett's Glen but apparently the no-alcohol policy is pretty strict; we would just like to be able to have a few beers at the end of the day and not be hassled.

If anyone has any input it would be appreciated. Again, within 3 hours of Philly is ideal -- open to suggestions in Maryland, Jersey, etc.

http://www.visitpa.com/pa/pocono-mountains/all-accommodations/campgrounds

Hey all,

Promised Land State Park has nice sites, a beautiful sand beach, and some nice hike/bike/ski trails there and also down the road by Bruce Lake. There's a great dive bar with cheap food and Yuengling on tap called the Blooming Grove tavern not too far away. Great for watching PSU games!

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/findapark/promisedland/

Reactions: johnsonguy45
Promised Land State Park has nice sites, a beautiful sand beach, and some nice hike/bike/ski trails there and also down the road by Bruce Lake. There's a great dive bar with cheap food and Yuengling on tap called the Blooming Grove tavern not too far away. Great for watching PSU games!

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/findapark/promisedland/
This is the park I was thinking of--couldn't remember the name.

There are a lot of great things to do around there...including golf.

Good luck because most campgrounds need a bunch of drunken boys from Philly partying all night!

KOA campground right near Shawnee Mtn would b e a good one. Elk Neck in MD is also a good option though the alcohol policy may not work for you.

Hey all,

--------
Check out Raystown Lake, an hr south of State College but near the t'pike. Supposed to have a top rated mountain bike trail, private camp grounds, power boating fishing. Near enough to SC to make a run up if it rains too much. Trough Creek St Park is there also.

All state parks in PA are no alcohol and have been for years. Dumbest thing I've ever seen. They obviously know everyone brings it in and I have never seen a real issue with it for the camp hosts or rangers. As long as folks are good they generally never bother you.

Reactions: johnsonguy45
I'd suggest Stoney Brook Estates near Lehighton/Jim Thorpe. Easy to get to, right off exit 74 (PA Turnpike NE extension). You can mountain bike from Jim Thorpe all the way to Hazleton if you wanted to. You can also hike the Appalachian Trail from that location--just a beautiful spot. White Water rafting is also available and it's a good stretch of the Lehigh with plenty of big native browns.

Hey all,

Look into French Creek. http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/findapark/frenchcreek/

ADVERTISEMENT