ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Rutgers announces it will reopen remotely

Nitwit

Jul 18, 2001
Pennsylvania
NEW BRUNSWICK, New Jersey (WPVI) -- Rutgers University has announced that a majority of its courses will be delivered remotely this fall due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The limited number of in-person classes will be those that benefit from on-campus facilities, President Jonathan Halloway said in a statement issued Monday morning

He said the decision was made "due to the uncertainty regarding the course of the COVID-19 pandemic, the increase in cases in other areas of the country and in consultation with public health experts and university leaders."

"We have wanted very fervently to be able to resume some version of a normal semester," Holloway said, adding "because of the ongoing requirements for social distancing and guided by our paramount priority of safeguarding the people of our university community, we determined that most courses this fall will have to rely on remote methods of instruction - delivered both in real time and asynchronously."

Halloway said the chancellors at the campuses in New Brunswick, Camden and Newark, along with Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences, will provide details for their respective campuses.

Rutgers also announced the following:

-On-campus housing across Rutgers will be extremely limited because of the need for social distancing and since most courses will be delivered remotely. Each chancellor will communicate how limited on-campus housing will be prioritized on each campus.

-Essential student services, including academic, health and wellness counseling, will continue to be available to students remotely and complemented by in-person interactions as public health guidelines allow. Information technology infrastructure, libraries and other vital resources for students also will be available

It will be interesting to see which classes end up being face-to-face. Science labs, probably.

I’m wondering about graduate classes, also. With UG classes going online, the big lecture halls will be available for possible use for graduate classes. I would think that the negative impacts of going online would be more pronounced for graduate programs.

I’m wondering how this affects fall sports at Rutgers. I’m thinking Rutgers will soon say they’re cancelled. Just reading the tea leaves.

There will be plenty more based upon the region and the numbers currently. Some schools or areas may be able to open up or do a hybrid of online in limited in person labs/classes. I don't think it's a one size fits all, but I imagine the larger the University the harder it will be to pull off in person classes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT