ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Rowing machine advice from AKB

PSU65

Gold Member
Aug 3, 2001
With the pandemic taking away the fitness center and swimming pool that I used to use, I could really use some advice about buying a rowing machine. I'm really not into the Bluetooth, fancy electronic add-ons and workout routines/instructors--just want a rower that functions well where I can just row. Looked to me like the NordicTrack RW 200 (although I'm leary of the resistance setting which requires both an electronic and manual setting), Sunny RW 5515, and the Xterra ERG 220 are basic models that might fill my needs. Any and all advice greatly appreciated.

I bought the Stamina X Air Rower from Amazon three years ago. It is an air resistance rower, meaning it uses a belt to rotate a fan which provides the resistance. The harder/faster you row the more resistance. It isn't for a heavy user but someone that just wants to get a half hour carb workout in. I watch a show on an iPad via my AirPods while doing it. It had some screws fall out of the seating area which I've had to replace. When I was researching it, the hyrdro ones were the best (as seen on House of Cards) and it was like $3000 or something. I now see updated ones in the $500 range. An issue I had with it was weight...I wanted to carry it into my attic areas when not in use over the summer. Thy hydro ones can get heavy due to the liquid.

I bought the Stamina X Air Rower from Amazon three years ago. It is an air resistance rower, meaning it uses a belt to rotate a fan which provides the resistance. The harder/faster you row the more resistance. It isn't for a heavy user but someone that just wants to get a half hour carb workout in. I watch a show on an iPad via my AirPods while doing it. It had some screws fall out of the seating area which I've had to replace. When I was researching it, the hyrdro ones were the best (as seen on House of Cards) and it was like $3000 or something. I now see updated ones in the $500 range. An issue I had with it was weight...I wanted to carry it into my attic areas when not in use over the summer. Thy hydro ones can get heavy due to the liquid.
Thanks, I’ll look into that. What do you think of the magnetic ones-they all seem to be magnetic now?

Thanks, I’ll look into that. What do you think of the magnetic ones-they all seem to be magnetic now?
at the time, there were stories that they didn't hold up but that may have changed. The downside of the air ones is noise but since I use an iPad and Earbuds that isn't a problem. Perhaps if I was trying to watch tv it would be.

Here is a review I saw. But I am not qualified on the magnetic ones because I didn't review or buy one.

I do crossfit so I row A LOT. i actually just started adding a 5k row to my workout every day. Every crossfit gym i've been to uses the CONCEPT II rowers from Rogue. 900$. Holds up great, has great data logging for your workouts as well as multiple display options. If I ever get a rower for myself, that's what it'll be.

I believe the Concept2 machines are what actual rowing teams use to practice when they can't get out on the water.

Reactions: psueb52
iu

My daughter rowed for Delaware for one year. I bought a Sunny which she did not like because the forward reach was not far enough. The Concept 2 is what the team used and all she would consider.

Reactions: ralphster
I picked up a concept 2 as a Christmas present to my wife and I. Glad I did, they sold out pretty fast after the sh1t hit the fan and everyone was scooping up fitness equipment. As others have said, it's the standard. Fantastic machine.

Reactions: ralphster
another vote for the concept2

I have a model D, my dad had a model C he used almost daily for 20+ years

at the time, there were stories that they didn't hold up but that may have changed. The downside of the air ones is noise but since I use an iPad and Earbuds that isn't a problem. Perhaps if I was trying to watch tv it would be.

Here is a review I saw. But I am not qualified on the magnetic ones because I didn't review or buy one.
I had an air resistance one and the noise is no joke. It is impossible to watch TV. I would listen to music but it had to be loud which might be disruptive to other folks in your house.

Maybe you are an experienced rower (it was new to me, I was looking to mix up my indoor cardio workouts), but I also found that it requires a lot more concentration (on form) than most other "mindless" cardio. I didn't care for it and ended up getting rid of my rower after about a year.

Ah, the old rowing joke:

“Men, I have some good news and some bad news for you today!

The good news is everybody will be getting an extra ration of rum with lunch.....the bad news is the captain wants to go water skiing this afternoon!”

ADVERTISEMENT