ADVERTISEMENT

OT: RIP Hal Greer

LionJim

Oct 8, 2003
Levittown, PA to Olney, MD
This was buried in the Sixers thread, but deserves to stand on its own. A great player, great professional.

hal-greer-ready-shoot-archive.jpg

Aw wow. Only saw him in video, but from what I remember - smooth shot. The first player of the Sixers to have his jersey retired. (#15).

Hope the Sixers honor him before the next game.

He has a highway in Huntington named after him, I do believe.
16 th st is called Hal Geer BLVD, it is somewhere between 3 lanes and 5 lanes with many stop lights, so I guess you could call it a highway!! But the first time I traveled to Huntington, I was told to get off at 16th st. The sign said, '16th st, Hal Geer BLVD' and I remember thinking, well I guess I know where Hal Greer went to college!!

Yes, lovely shot. Took jump shots from the free-throw line.
Yep. His range was the 15 to 18 footer. I used to listen to the games on WCAU when I was in elementary school. 1967 - Wilt, Luke Jackson, Chet "The Jet" Walker, Hal Greer, Wali Jones and the "Kangaroo Kid" as 6th man. I think Matt Goukas, Billy Melchionni and Bob Weiss were all on that team too.

Yep. His range was the 15 to 18 footer. I used to listen to the games on WCAU when I was in elementary school. 1967 - Wilt, Luke Jackson, Chet "The Jet" Walker, Hal Greer, Wali Jones and the "Kangaroo Kid" as 6th man. I think Matt Goukas, Billy Melchionni and Bob Weiss were all on that team too.
What I meant was that when Greer took free throws, he'd shoot a jump shot. But, yes, he didn't shoot long range at all. Jones had really good range. He had a weird shot but very classical in the sense that the ball left his hand at the very top of his outstretched arm; you could see him stretching as far as he could. Freddie Brown had a similar form.

What I meant was that when Greer took free throws, he'd shoot a jump shot. But, yes, he didn't shoot long range at all. Jones had really good range. He had a weird shot but very classical in the sense that the ball left his hand at the very top of his outstretched arm; you could see him stretching as far as he could. Freddie Brown had a similar form.
Gotcha. He also took a lot of shots from around the foul line.Hal Greer was the Sixers leading scorer in the 1967 playoffs. Wilt didn't score as much. He did okay though. He averaged 29 boards and 9 assist per game - 15 games. Wilt would have scored more if he'd shot a little better from the line - 62 of 160. OUCH! Wilt also played a lot - he averaged 47.9 minutes/game. Hard to believe that number. Hal Greer over 45 minutes per game.

Reactions: LionJim
Gotcha. He also took a lot of shots from around the foul line.Hal Greer was the Sixers leading scorer in the 1967 playoffs. Wilt didn't score as much. He did okay though. He averaged 29 boards and 9 assist per game - 15 games. Wilt would have scored more if he'd shot a little better from the line - 62 of 160. OUCH! Wilt also played a lot - he averaged 47.9 minutes/game. Hard to believe that number. Hal Greer over 45 minutes per game.

Wilt never fouled out of a game in his pro career. one year he averaged over 48 minutes per game because of over times

This was buried in the Sixers thread, but deserves to stand on its own. A great player, great professional.

hal-greer-ready-shoot-archive.jpg

A great player on the first team my life revolved around. Smooth as butter and despite looking frail, Greer was a fierce competitor. RIP.

Reactions: kevin310
I actually attended a game in that infamous season of 1972-1973, which was Greer's last. I think my dad got free tickets from work. It was one vs the Rockets that they almost won as it went into OT. Folks were yelling for Greer--but the coach would not put him in. :(

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT