ADVERTISEMENT

OT: RIP Bunny Wailer reggae legend

Good dude. Got to hang out with him back stage about 20 years ago.

Never was much into the Rasta reggae for the most part. But he had soul and I could get into it.
The Wailers all sort of did their own thing in parallel to the rest of reggae at the time.

RIP

Always like classic reggae. Sounds so happy and you can’t listen without tapping your toes.

As I mentioned several times I spent a couple winters in the US Virgin Islands after a hurricane Marilynn blew through. My parents came down to visit for a week and my boss gave them a tour. Took us through a Rasta enclave on the east end of St Thomas island where the Rastamen lived in shacks in the tropical forest. Signs saying all evil doers stay out. Which is white people. Felt like Indiana Jones in some deep jungle in the Amazon or Congo.

Took us down to a bay that had an ancient brick structure that was very run down. Said that was where slave ships coming from Africa would stop for a couple weeks. They would clean up the slaves, feed them well, and get them in better shape to get top dollar at slave auctions. Felt very strange being there.....what I would think similar to being at Auschvitz or Triblinka. I was told never to come down there without him as he lived there twenty years and knew everyone. Soon as the sun got low he said it time was to get out of there. Fascinating to see this piece of history.

Met several Rastamen and got along well. Interesting people. And loved the reggae!

Last edited:
Always like classic reggae. Sounds so happy and you can’t listen without tapping your toes.

As I mentioned several times I spent a couple winters in the US Virgin Islands after a hurricane Marilynn blew through. My parents came down to visit for a week and my boss gave them a tour. Took us through a Rasta enclave on the east end of St Thomas island where the Rastamen lived in shacks in the tropical forest. Signs saying all evil doers stay out. Which is white people. Felt like Indiana Jones in some deep jungle in the Amazon or Congo.

Took us down to a bay that had an ancient brick structure that was very run down. Said that was where slave ships coming from Africa would stop for a couple weeks. They would clean up the slaves, feed them well, and get them in better shape to get top dollar at slave auctions. Felt very strange being there.....what I would think similar to being at Auschvitz or Triblinka. I was told never to come down there without him as he lived there twenty years and knew everyone. Soon as the sun got low he said it was to get out of there. Fascinating to see this piece of history.

Met several Rastamen and got along well. Interesting people. And loved the reggae!
Your story made me think back to this old Robin Williams movie

• Haha
Reactions: BBrown
ADVERTISEMENT