ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Rep Jim Jordan (OH) denies he turned a blind eye to sex abuse while at OSU.

where was any of this concern when it came to Penn State with many of the claims from people with questionable motives and credibility?? Guess that was 'victim shaming' and denial by Joebots and the rest of the PSU 'cult' supporters...

I have intentionally stayed away from this issue as an OSU guest on this board. Haven't directly looked at it. However, the "Freeh Report [commissioned by PSU] stated that Spanier and Paterno, along with Curley and Schultz, had known about allegations of child abuse on Sandusky's part as early as 1998, and were complicit in failing to disclose them." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penn_State_child_sex_abuse_scandal

You can't blame me or OSU for this. I have never uttered a critical word about Paterno or the Sandusky issue since I have begun posting here. Have seen many people critical of Freeh here, and in light of the current goings on at the FBI, I can understand the criticism. Again, it is not my issue or fight. To the extent that many bad things have happened to PSU recently, it is, to a large extent, PSU falling on its own sword.

Some people here may be interested in my take on the Jordan matter, which is entirely different from the Sandusky matter.

Last edited:
Not a Jordan fan at all, but DiSabato is insane and dying to tear down Ohio State after a variety of his attempted, shady business ventures with the school have gone belly up. This gambit might be his last chance.

For the sake of argument, I'll assume that is all true. Then why is DiSabato going after Jordan specifically?

Then why is DiSabato going after Jordan specifically?

Jordan, being a politician is an easy target in today's environment. Easiest way for DiSabato to make money; if someone high on the athletic food chain, such as Jordan was responsible, it is easier to stick OSU for more damages.

Jordan, being a politician is an easy target in today's environment. Easiest way for DiSabato to make money; if someone high on the athletic food chain, such as Jordan was responsible, it is easier to stick OSU for more damages.

I dunno. Why not go after Hellickson? Seems like an easier target, higher up on the food chain.

I have intentionally stayed away from this issue as an OSU guest on this board. Haven't directly looked at it. However, the "Freeh Report [commissioned by PSU] stated that Spanier and Paterno, along with Curley and Schultz, had known about allegations of child abuse on Sandusky's part as early as 1998, and were complicit in failing to disclose them." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penn_State_child_sex_abuse_scandal

You can't blame me or OSU for this. I have never uttered a critical word about Paterno or the Sandusky issue since I have begun posting here. Have seen many people critical of Freeh here, and in light of the current goings on at the FBI, I can understand the criticism. Again, it is not my issue or fight.

Some people here may be interested in my take on the Jordan matter, which is entirely different from the Sandusky matter.

Quoting the fact-Freeh report is just making you look ridiculous and misinformed. Do yourself a favor and resist relying on that discredited POS (which Freeh himself claimed was merely an "opinion" in official legal filings) as a basis of support for any subsequent postings on this topic.

Again, you are cautioning about the credibility and motivations of Jim Jordan accusers. Yet, when PSU supporters cautioned about the same thing (with very good reason) during the past six years, we were uniformly criticized by almost everyone - including most OSU and other B10 fans / supporters. The self-serving hypocrisy we've encountered with the MSU / Nasser scandal and now this OSU scandal has been nauseating and it's aggravating to listen to well-meaning cautionary pleas when we were attacked and mocked for advocating the same thing...

I dunno. Why not go after Hellickson? Seems like an easier target, higher up on the food chain.

Because No one knows Hellickson?

And maybe that’s not the target someone else wants him to go after ......?

Because No one knows Hellickson?

And maybe that’s not the target someone else wants him to go after ......?

Oh, so OSU has a Board trying to tear down its Athletic Department?

I think soon you'll find this is a lot bigger than Jordan or 2 accusers. Even OSU is stating it's across several sports according to Buckeye 24/7.

Reactions: demlion
Whoa! So Hellickson knew about this and did nothing?
So, somehow, the wrestlers who wrestled for Hellickson knew that doc was showering with them, Hellickson knew, but assistant coach JJ did not.

He can call DiSabato a liar all day, and point to his criminal record, but Hellickson is on video admitting he knew and saying he complained about doc showering with the team. Somehow this escaped JJ.

Reactions: LafayetteBear
Correct but they are similar in that they both have ZERO credibility in general.

Just bc JJ actually knew this guy doesn’t mean his claim that JJ turned a blind eye 20 yrs ago holds any water. The guy is an outcast in the wrestling community for a reason.

This guy is like OSU’s version of McQueary. Claims to have told a coach about abuse ten plus yrs in the past but never made a contemporaneous formal written report to the school/LE and therefore has no way of verifying what he allegedly reported to the coach. Media gets story and the rush to judgement ensues.

The fact remains that the two named accusers against JJ have sketchy (at best) pasts so their accusations should be viewed with that in mind. The other accuser is unnamed so we all know there’s no way to verify their claim.

How do you explain him being so supportive of JJ if his claim of JJ turning a blind eye to his abuse is to be believed?
Actually the coach Hellickson said in a video that he was concerned about how much time the doc spent showering with the wrestlers. Is he a criminal liar too?

No, they are allegations made by 2 people with very checkered backgrounds with respect to OSU. Haven't followed PSU matter closely but if most of the accusers had the profiles of DiSabato and Yetts, I would be very skeptical.
What about hellickson? Was he a crazy criminal too?

One significant difference which should be drawn between the Sandusky debacle and those at tOSU and MSU is that none of Sandusky's crimes were committed in the normal course of his PSU employment while a majority of those at the other two schools apparently were committed in the course of the perpetrators' normal duties there.
Not only that. Many victims at MSU reported abuse directly to university officials. PSU officials only received one vague second hand report.

I'll wait to learn more about the OSU case before passing judgement.

Yeah, Dailybuck777 and other OSU supporters and many in the media are now cautioning about the credibility and $$ motivations of accusers... where was any of this concern when it came to Penn State with many of the claims from people with questionable motives and credibility?? Guess that was 'victim shaming' and denial by Joebots and the rest of the PSU 'cult' supporters...

In 1976, a kid called Joe Paterno to say that he was sexually abused by jerry sandusky.

The nation ran with that sort of horseshit.

Reactions: WeR0206
But you do agree that Tosu should be kicked out of the b1g and that their campus should be burned down to the ground, at least as a first step, right?
I don't care for OSU but I think they deserve due process. It's sad that PSU didn't receive due process but a lot of that was their own doing. The OGBOT threw 4 men under the bus in order to save their own rear ends and the media ran with the story. I dislike OSU but I can't blame them for the actions of our own BOT.

I don't care for OSU but I think they deserve due process. It's sad that PSU didn't receive due process but a lot of that was their own doing. The OGBOT threw 4 men under the bus in order to save their own rear ends and the media ran with the story. I dislike OSU but I can't blame them for the actions of our own BOT.

You're soft.

;)

You're soft.

;)
The NCAA is the organization that deserves to be burned to the ground. They were under a lot of heat for failing to respond to cheating scandals. When the JS scandal hit they felt pressure to act aggressively. They got caught overstepping their authority and colluding with Freeh so they reversed sanctions. Now they're scared crapless to deal with much more severe issues (NC, MSU). Sickening!

Reactions: colt21
Actually the coach Hellickson said in a video that he was concerned about how much time the doc spent showering with the wrestlers. Is he a criminal liar too?
No, he’s a guy that thought the showering habits of the team doc were weird/concerning.

Its no where close to being told “doc is abusing me” and you know it dem.

So far I have just heard generalizations of what he said. I would like to hear the video tape. If you have a link I would appreciate it.
I do not. The Dayton News has, and QUOTES THE COACH DIRECTLY. Read the quotes.

https://abc6onyourside.com/news/loc...ng-a-blind-eye-to-osu-sex-abuse-investigation
COLUMBUS, Ohio (WSYX/WTTE) — The investigative team appointed by the Ohio Attorney General’s Office as legal counsel for The Ohio State University said they previously contacted Ohio Representative Jim Jordan’s office to request that he participate in an interview.

“To date, Rep. Jordan has not responded to those requests, but we understand from public statements issued on his behalf today that Rep. Jordan is willing to talk to the investigative team. The investigative team is continuing its efforts to schedule an interview with Rep. Jordan, as well as other individuals with potential knowledge relating to the allegations,” said Kathleen Trafford, a representative of the team who is working on the independent investigation of the Dr. Richard Strauss matter.

Strauss is a former wrestling team doctor who is accused of abusing athletes while at Ohio State from the mid-70s to late 1990s. Strauss died in 2005. OSU announced in April that it would investigate claims that Strauss molested student athletes.

The whistleblower in the case, Michael DiSabato, a former wrestler, said, “It was an uncomfortable joke that doc would and wanted to give you a genital exam every time you saw him. The university is engaging in the big Ten blueprint for cover-up of sexual abuse.”

An eleven-minute video “Scarlet X” has been produced that includes four people’s graphic allegations of abuse by Strauss. That video has not been officially released. Former head coach Russ Hellickson is in that video and said he told Strauss he was being “too hands on” with students.

DiSabato said he reached out to Congressman Jordan to talk about what happened. Jordan was an assistant wrestling coach at OSU from 1986 to 1994.

“I have stayed close to Jim over the years. I talked to him probably once a month. He asked me after speaking with him, and he suggested he didn’t know much and that he wanted me to keep him out of it. It’s blowing up nationally because you have the most conservative member of the US Congress lying to reporters about his knowledge of serial sex abuse cover-up,” said DiSabato.

According to the written statement from Ian Fury, Communications Director for Jordan:

“Congressman Jordan never saw any abuse, never heard about any abuse, and never had any abuse reported to him during his time as a coach at Ohio State. He has not been contacted by investigators about the matter but will assist them in any way they ask, because if what is alleged is true, the victims deserve a full investigation and justice.... Despite claims to the contrary, Congressman Jordan’s office has not received a request for interview from the investigative team. We have demanded that they send us the supposed communication and remain willing to assist in any way that we can.”

DiSabato said, “I have got a lot of respect for Jim as a competitor, as my coach, as a friend. But when push comes to shove this is not acceptable. I hope I see leaders within the state of Ohio actually stand up and lead.”

“I grew up a Buckeye. I love my school. I love those institutions enough to speak publically, to hold those in power positions accountable for their abuse of power,” said DiSabato.

Investigators said they have interviewed 150 athletes and received confidential reports of sexual misconduct committed by Strauss in 14 sports and from former patients of student health services.

“The investigative team is unable to discuss details of this investigation as their work is ongoing and there is no pre-determined timeline for the investigation. However, the work is being completed as expeditiously as possible while also ensuring the highest level of integrity. The investigative team continues to encourage those with information pertaining to the allegations to contact them at osu@perkinscoie.com,” said Trafford in an email.
@dailybuck777

Last edited:
One final quote from the Dayton Daily News article cited above, quoting Russ Hellickson in a video called "Scarlet X"

Three Strauss victims and former head coach Russ Hellickson appear in a 12-minute private video, describing the abuse. Hellickson recounts telling Strauss that he showered too frequently and too long with student-athletes.

“I caught people having sex in our wrestling room, in the stairwell to the wrestling room, in the bathroom adjacent to our wrestling facility and I caught people in masturbation,” Hellickson said. “It became a real problem because it affected their mental state, a lot of our wrestlers.”

Hellickson, who served as head coach from 1986 to 2006, said in the video that “Certainly, all of my administrators recognized that it was an issue for me. I’m sure that I talked to all of them on numerous occasions about my discontent with the environment.”

But Jim Jordan did not know. Got it.

Well, I have no idea what went on. however, I've said a hundred times on this board that is was SOP for coaches to shower with players in the 80's and 90's. My coaches did. I did with my father and brothers after working on the farm and mom would make us shower in the basement before coming into the living areas of our home. I also know that Dr's, at that time, used to give hernia checkups to kids all the time. What they did was make you stand up, they'd grab your ballsack and ask you to turn your head to the left and cough. This was, again, SOP for wrestlers because of the opportunity to get a hernia working out and wrestling. My school didn't have wresting but this checkup was, for me, at least twice a year (football and track).

And this statement could have been make by anyone who attended a high school or college"

“I caught people having sex in our wrestling room, in the stairwell to the wrestling room, in the bathroom adjacent to our wrestling facility and I caught people in masturbation,” Hellickson said. “It became a real problem because it affected their mental state, a lot of our wrestlers.”

Well, I have no idea what went on. however, I've said a hundred times on this board that is was SOP for coaches to shower with players in the 80's and 90's. My coaches did. I did with my father and brothers after working on the farm and mom would make us shower in the basement before coming into the living areas of our home. I also know that Dr's, at that time, used to give hernia checkups to kids all the time. What they did was make you stand up, they'd grab your ballsack and ask you to turn your head to the left and cough. This was, again, SOP for wrestlers because of the opportunity to get a hernia working out and wrestling. My school didn't have wresting but this checkup was, for me, at least twice a year (football and track).

And this statement could have been make by anyone who attended a high school or college"

This was not the coach. It was the DOCTOR, too frequently and too long for the coach's liking.

But the main reason I posted it is because all these Buckeyes IMMEDIATELY trashed the guy as a scumbag not worthy of belief. A fair bit of what the head coach says tends to confirm Di Sabato's story. I certainly do not know, either, but I am not writing it off because the messenger is weak. If he was such a terrible guy, why did the coach agree to be in the video? Or, assuming it was hidden video, why did the coach say it at all?

Reactions: Obliviax
t the main reason I posted it is because all these Buckeyes IMMEDIATELY trashed the guy as a scumbag not worthy of belief.

I am a lawyer and I can tell you that there are multiple tell-tale signs of dishonesty in DiSabato's litigious history. He has proven that he will lie for money. He is not worthy of belief. Hellickson is a different matter. I would like to see his full statement. In the next several weeks, it will be very interesting to see if any of DiSabato's brothers support his allegations. If not, it will even more substantially undermine his claims.

I will add that, so far, on the surface, we have 2 potentially credible witnesses who contradict each other -- Hellickson and Pardos.

Last edited:
Quoting the fact-Freeh report is just making you look ridiculous and misinformed.

If you have read some of my posts on the politics board, you would know the very low opinion i have of Comey and Mueller. I give no particular to credence to FBI directors. I was simply saying that in dealing with outsiders not familiar with your situation, you have an additional hurdle in that someone selected by PSU found substantial fault and guilt. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Freeh botched the investigation.

If you have read some of my posts on the politics board, you would know the very low opinion i have of Comey and Mueller. I give no particular to credence to FBI directors. I was simply saying that in dealing with outsiders not familiar with your situation, you have an additional hurdle in that someone selected by PSU found substantial fault and guilt. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Freeh botched the investigation.

Comey (until recently) and Mueller are in government service. You cannot begin to compare them to Freeh who has been in it for personal enrichment for a substantial period of time. Freeh is all about getting paid and will do what is necessary to secure his paycheck.

Hellickson isn't a congress critter. He's not "higher up" in terms of current interest. Add to that that Jordan is a pretty prominent and vocal congress critter. A much bigger target that makes more headlines.

The country does seem to have a bad habit these days of judging the past in light of current mores.

Hellickson isn't a congress critter. He's not "higher up" in terms of current interest. Add to that that Jordan is a pretty prominent and vocal congress critter. A much bigger target that makes more headlines.
Apparently, reading between the lines, both NBC News AND the law firm investigating on behalf of OSU have copies of the videotape mentioned in this thread. Also seems very likely the Dayton Daily News has seen or at least heard the Hellickson part of it, since they quote him precisely and at length in the news stories cited above.

Apparently, reading between the lines, both NBC News AND the law firm investigating on behalf of OSU have copies of the videotape mentioned in this thread. Also seems very likely the Dayton Daily News has seen or at least heard the Hellickson part of it, since they quote him precisely and at length in the news stories cited above.
Still, my point is that the national news will go after a congress critter. A minor sport coach? Not so much. It's partly why the MSU situation didn't gain traction--at least initially.

Still, my point is that the national news will go after a congress critter. A minor sport coach? Not so much. It's partly why the MSU situation didn't gain traction--at least initially.
Probably so, but I would suppose you would agree that the media is not the proper guardian for us regarding what is important--that it is up to each of us to decide that for ourselves. Meanwhile, can you think of any reason why the OSU coach would appear on a videotape saying that he was worried about the mental state of his wrestlers because of how sexualized the wrestling facility was, if it were NOT true?

ADVERTISEMENT