ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Registering a domain name

Be careful about giving out contact information (especially to go daddy). You will be hounded for months.

Reactions: PSU87
I've had no issues with godaddy.

But do you want to just register the domain, or do you want webspace, too?

Will create a website eventually. Not a business website where I'm trying to sell, more of a personal type site. Something that maybe an author or musician might do. Maybe selling one or two items. Info about works in progress. Maybe a blog.

Will create a website eventually. Not a business website where I'm trying to sell, more of a personal type site. Something that maybe an author or musician might do. Maybe selling one or two items. Info about works in progress. Maybe a blog.
Use godaddy. Just give them sketchy contact info. 10 calls/day on my cell because I used my cell to register biz sites. Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

GoDaddy is really good. Sounds like WordPress would be the best and easiest route to create your website.

All knowing board. I want to register a domain name for a website. There are obviously a variety of sites that will do it. What's the best way? How do I avoid scams?
TIA.

Good question and an honest request -- therefore use either of the following two sites (only). They will place all of your contact information as 'private' and not allow any 'who is' information to be seen. It is best to separate all of the components that will be necessary for your control.
#1 -- 1and1.com -- the largest domain registration company in Europe and office in the US at KOP office complex. However, do not use the website building formula they will present to you.
#2 -- enom.com -- a domain registration service with impeccable credentials.

Now the website -- there are developers everywhere. Some are good and some not very, some will charge hundreds for one page, while others will build your site with what you desire for a competitive price. Have the developer place the website on a server -- not you with a very long and complex passcode. You will have to decide what level server you wish, among other things.

Server -- use Liquid Web based in Lansing, MI that has co-location servers in the USA and offshore. They will also use entry level security for you as part of the server package. Enon.com will set up some security, but depend on Liquid Web.

You will have copyright on the name and any content as it appears, if you wish trademark protection, then go to uspto.org the US Patent and Trademark Office.

My track record -- I founded the company and registered www.yellowpages.com (now owned by AT&T) and founded an off-shore company for www.charitynumbers.net (uploaded for beta testing in Amsterdam -- links will not work), and many others. If you would like names and numbers -- contact me.

Amazon Route 53.

It’s a bit more complex than GoDaddy but includes private registration iirc.

I’ve moved all my domains and dns over there over the last year.

Reactions: PeetzPoolBoy
Good question and an honest request -- therefore use either of the following two sites (only). They will place all of your contact information as 'private' and not allow any 'who is' information to be seen. It is best to separate all of the components that will be necessary for your control.
#1 -- 1and1.com -- the largest domain registration company in Europe and office in the US at KOP office complex. However, do not use the website building formula they will present to you.
#2 -- enom.com -- a domain registration service with impeccable credentials.

Now the website -- there are developers everywhere. Some are good and some not very, some will charge hundreds for one page, while others will build your site with what you desire for a competitive price. Have the developer place the website on a server -- not you with a very long and complex passcode. You will have to decide what level server you wish, among other things.

Server -- use Liquid Web based in Lansing, MI that has co-location servers in the USA and offshore. They will also use entry level security for you as part of the server package. Enon.com will set up some security, but depend on Liquid Web.

You will have copyright on the name and any content as it appears, if you wish trademark protection, then go to uspto.org the US Patent and Trademark Office.

My track record -- I founded the company and registered www.yellowpages.com (now owned by AT&T) and founded an off-shore company for www.charitynumbers.net (uploaded for beta testing in Amsterdam -- links will not work), and many others. If you would like names and numbers -- contact me.
For clarification purposes, are you saying you founded Liquid Web or www.yellowpages.com?

Your post is unclear about which company you founded and whether it was among those you listed for others to use. I'm interested in this topic, but am suspicious of self-marketing.

For clarification purposes, are you saying you founded Liquid Web or www.yellowpages.com?

Your post is unclear about which company you founded and whether it was among those you listed for others to use. I'm interested in this topic, but am suspicious of self-marketing.

Liquid Web is a separate and independent company, I have no connection with this company.

I began as one person with a business idea and wrote a business plan. It was long and hard work, with legal paperwork to go along with it.

I founded www.yellowpages.com on April 3, 1996, added two partners the next day, could not find any programmer who knew how to place content on the 'web' for three years, finally began with comprehensive sales in 2002 and AT&T purchased business in 2004. AT&T now values their portion of the business at $2.3B with 4000 employees.

Liquid Web is a separate and independent company, I have no connection with this company.

I began as one person with a business idea and wrote a business plan. It was long and hard work, with legal paperwork to go along with it.

I founded www.yellowpages.com on April 3, 1996, added two partners the next day, could not find any programmer who knew how to place content on the 'web' for three years, finally began with comprehensive sales in 2002 and AT&T purchased business in 2004. AT&T now values their portion of the business at $2.3B with 4000 employees.
damn, impressive.... $100mil

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT