ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Rare historical photos....

Ten Thousan Marbles

Gold Member
Feb 6, 2014
Saw this today, and thought I would post it here to start a thread for anybody who knows of any similar historical photos they would like to share.

The comments in the twitter thread offer some explanation.

(Come at me with the snark, as well.)

I love historical photos and rarer the better. Here is one that is not rare but I always enjoyed. Forbes Field in 1912. Notice the horse drawn vehicle on the bottom far right in contrast to those new fangled automobiles on the left. Also, the well dressed couple on the bottom far left. Following up on that couple, I wonder what became of them? Were they married? Did they get married? Did he fight, and possibly die, in WWI? Did they even know they were in this photo?
4395b72ef1614929a912462b2899665c.jpg

Last edited:
This is Dick Harlow. He is the guy who coached Rip Engle in College. Rip Engle is the guy who coached Joe Paterno in college. Harlow also coached Bobby Kennedy in college (at Harvard) among many, many others. He helped create the first "stunt"; a sudden shift of the defensive linemen immediately after the ball is snapped. It revolutionized the game of football.

He was one of Penn State's first great assistant coaches.

Last edited:
I love historical photos and rarer the better. Here is one that is not rare but I always enjoyed. Forbes Field in 1912. Notice the horse drawn vehicle on the bottom far right in contrast to those new fangled automobiles on the left. Also, the well dressed couple on the bottom far left.

It's amazing to see people dressed up to go to a baseball game or when they dressed up to go to the city.
6c8960698d0f3de01cef10b04f0d4aab.jpg

Here is a picture of the 1971 World Series (check out a fit Willie Stargell skying to try make a catch), but I digress, notice only one person in the stands is wearing any Baltimore Orioles attire (a cap). In many of the pictures back then and before, you could not tell where the game was being held by looking at a picture of the fans. When did wearing your sports team's fan wear begin?

u1719096.jpg

It's amazing to see people dressed up to go to a baseball game or when they dressed up to go to the city.
6c8960698d0f3de01cef10b04f0d4aab.jpg

Here is a picture of the 1971 World Series (check out a fit Willie Stargell skying to try make a catch), but I digress, notice only one person in the stands is wearing any Baltimore Orioles attire (a cap). In many of the pictures back then and before, you could not tell where the game was being held by looking at a picture of the fans. When did wearing your sports team's fan wear begin?

u1719096.jpg
Your question of "When did wearing your sports team's fan wear begin?" is interesting and one I never considered. I don't have a good answer. :confused:

It started when companies figured they could make a lot of money from the teams colors and apparel.
True, but when was that? As a young lad a was a Bill Mazeroski fan, yet I never had a Pirate jersey with his name on it. I don't remember anyone I knew having one back then. Now I see people, including older men and women, wearing team gear to Sunday Mass, something I find appalling.

This one is very rare. It was taken in the basement of a home in the Pittsburgh area with a Polaroid.
s-l300.jpg

Saw that, too. What were the actual cross streets for Forbes field? Are any of those homes still there in the hood? What’s replaced it?

Ah Bob. You should know better. Gambit Worldwide Enterprises never, ever, sells low-quality, overpriced gear. It is poor quality. Low quality costs to much to make and cuts into our astronomical profit margins.:)

I have a lot to learn. You would eat me alive. I don't have your business acumen.

:(

Reactions: fairgambit
Saw that, too. What were the actual cross streets for Forbes field? Are any of those homes still there in the hood? What’s replaced it?
I haven't been to that area in a long time, but when the park was built it was put in Schenley Farms, which was part of the Mary Schenley Estate and in a good residential area. Because of that, Forbes Field was classy. It was one of the 1st ballparks to be built of concrete and steel. It had elevators, electric lights, telephones, ramps instead of steps, maids in the ladies rooms, and was the 1st park to have luxury suites. This is a line from the PIttsburgh Press about its opening on June 29, 1909. "The ceremonies were witnessed by the largest throng that ever attended an event of this kind in this or any other city in the country . Forbes Field is so immense—so far beyond anything else in America in the way of a baseball park—that old experts, accustomed to judging crowds at a glance, were at a loss for reasonable figures." Records show that the first game was attended by a standing-room only crowd of 30,338. One other note. Pirate Owner Barney Dreyfuss "hated cheap home runs and vowed he'd have none in his park", which led him to design a large playing field for Forbes Field. The original distances to the outfield fence in left, center, and right field were 360 feet, 462 feet and 376 feet, respectively. With the large outfield, triples were common. The Bucs hit a record 8 triples in one game in 1925. (In 2017, the Toronto Blue Jays hit only 5 triples all season).

Last edited:
I haven't been to that area in a long time, but when the park was built it was put in Schenley Farms, which was part of the Mary Schenley Estate and in a good residential area. Because of that, Forbes Field was classy. It was one of the 1st ballparks to be built of concrete and steel. It had elevators, electric lights, telephones, ramps instead of steps, maids in the ladies rooms, and was the 1st park to have luxury suites. This is a line from the PIttsburgh Press about its opening on June 29, 1909. "The ceremonies were witnessed by the largest throng that ever attended an event of this kind in this or any other city in the country . Forbes Field is so immense—so far beyond anything else in America in the way of a baseball park—that old experts, accustomed to judging crowds at a glance, were at a loss for reasonable figures." Records show that the first game was attended by a standing-room only crowd of 30,338. One other note. Pirate Owner Barney Dreyfuss "hated cheap home runs and vowed he'd have none in his park", which led him to design a large playing field for Forbes Field. The original distances to the outfield fence in left, center, and right field were 360 feet, 462 feet and 376 feet, respectively. With the large outfield, triples were common. The Bucs hit a record 8 triples in one game in 1925. (In 2017, the Toronto Blue Jays hit only 5 triples all season).

"Willie Mays and his glove. Where triples go to die." - Los Angeles Dodgers Executive Fresco Thompson.

I love historical photos and rarer the better. Here is one that is not rare but I always enjoyed. Forbes Field in 1912. Notice the horse drawn vehicle on the bottom far right in contrast to those new fangled automobiles on the left. Also, the well dressed couple on the bottom far left. Following up on that couple, I wonder what became of them? Were they married? Did they get married? Did he fight, and possibly die, in WWI? Did they even know they were in this photo?
Who DOESN'T bring a suitcase to see a baseball game?

Reactions: Bob78
Who DOESN'T bring a suitcase to see a baseball game?
It appears the guy in front of him is carrying a picnic basket. This guy probably has the same idea, but the suitcase has caviar, a good wine, and some smoked pheasant, along with silver and crystal for two.:)

It appears the guy in front of him is carrying a picnic basket. This guy probably has the same idea, but the suitcase has caviar, a good wine, and some smoked pheasant, along with silver and crystal for two.:)

I was thinking fetish gear for his date :eek:, but let's go with what you say.

Good thing they didn't have to use a clear plastic bag back then, huh? ;)

Reactions: fairgambit
ADVERTISEMENT