ADVERTISEMENT

OT question: Rooftop Carriers - Thule or Yakima?

Skeller

Jul 11, 2001
Been researching the Thule Force and Sonic L and XL models compared to the Yakimas. I was leanign towards the Sonic, but think the Force may be a better buy with really no difference in storage or performance.

This would be mainly to supplement storage in my '13 Highlander for family trips. The second baby Skeller arrived last week and I'm kind of scratching my head now on how we're going to get to the OBX (or other longer trips) without a carrier.

Both are quality brands

Probably can't go wrong either way

FWIW i'm running a 20yr old Thule ski box on my Subaru right now.... Have had it on since Thanksgiving... Atop 480 Traverse Towers running old fashioned square bars... With a Highlander you probably have factory crossbars.... On my old Volvo V50 I had to use Thule Crossroads towers that adapted the square bars to my factory rails.... But you probably already know all that stuff

thule = good as nails / excellent user experience here

If you keep watch you'll see 3 of every 4 SUV's and mini vans on the expressways are toting a rooftop during summer. I agree with you that Thule and Yakima are both good choices. I suggest that you surf cragislist and possible ebay for a used one. You'll get hurt paying shipping costs and you won't be able to inspect the goods if you don't buy locally and pick up.

Lots of families are one and done for a specific trip. Others downsize to a smaller family and vehicle and the carrier is just taking up space in garage until they sell it. You'll be doing them a favor. Familiarize your self with model(s) you have an interest in and make sure that all of the hardware is in the package you are buying. It can be expensive ala carte. If you go used, make sure you also inspect for damage before buying.

I hope that your specific highlander came with crossbars. They can be expensive new or used.
This post was edited on 3/28 8:33 AM by robbrunskill

Originally posted by Skeller:
Been researching the Thule Force and Sonic L and XL models compared to the Yakimas. I was leanign towards the Sonic, but think the Force may be a better buy with really no difference in storage or performance.

This would be mainly to supplement storage in my '13 Highlander for family trips. The second baby Skeller arrived last week and I'm kind of scratching my head now on how we're going to get to the OBX (or other longer trips) without a carrier.
Don't forget to look at ease of installation. I bought a GIANT Thule box many years ago. The biggest they had. It is a bit of a pain to install. I'm certain all are to some extent as our arms are only so long........ I bought it to haul all our stuff to the OBX as well.

My wife just bought an OE box from Subaru. I'm pretty sure it was made by Thule. I was hoping that after all these years, they'd make it a little easier.

Both great...make sure you understand the attachment...

If you have a factory roof rack, is the spacing of the cross-bars what you need, or will you have to buy accessories to attach the box? You can ring up some extra $$ if that is necessary. Likewise, without a factory rack, you will need crossbars & mounts...may be a cost difference.
I've been a loyal Yakima customer...very rugged equipment!
I agree with checking Craigs List....a lot of people buy these and don't use them more than a few times...

I bought a Yakima a few years ago....had to buy the towers and cross bars..

My research led me to believe that the Yakima system was a lot easier to get on and off . Not sure if this is really true, but my vehicle isn't equipped with factory roof racks so this was a major issue for me. The Yakima system is very easy to get on and off, maybe others can chime in on Thule.

jeesh seriously? Thse things ain't rocket science

Fit kit, tower, crossbar... Then add your box... but we're not building a watch here

. Yeah the box itself is cumbersome/bulky but mine is made of plastic, not hardwood for christssakes

Keep in mind losing 7-15 miles per gallon or more with installation

Storage is nice, but it's costing you extra for every mile you drive.

That's what consumer reports puts it at. Cars are designed to be

aerodynamic. You're destroying that by putting a big block on top of your vehicle.

consumer reports should try driving with the box closed

Another example of their shoddy reviews

I normally get 27mpg in my Legacy in summer driving.... Lose a mpg or two when the switch to winter fuel formulation is made... Lose yet another mpg with long winter warm-up/idle times in the am... Currently at 23mpgvwith the box on my roof... I suspect I lose a couple mpgs at most directly due to the box

Consumer Reports is F.O.S.

This post was edited on 3/28 10:33 PM by massimoManca II

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT