ADVERTISEMENT

OT- question about smoking meat

PAgeologist

Jan 8, 2017
Lilly, PA
Got a quick question for anyone who smokes meat. I have an offset grill/smoker. I am planning on smoking country style ribs and some maple sausage. My question is can I also do fish with the pork and not affect the flavor? Or do I need to do them separately.

Complicated question. It depends on the kind of fish. Certain fishes are more likely to impart their flavors into other meats, such as salmon and tuna. It's possible to do, but it's not recommended. Many people maintain a separate smoker just for fish, or they thoroughly clean their smoker after doing fish and before doing other types of meat.

Also, fish ideally should be smoked at 180, whereas beef and I think pork should be smoked at 200-225. You can smoke beef at a lower temp, but you don't want to smoke fish at a higher temp.

Lastly, depending on how sophisticated you are with smoking, you may want to use different types of wood for fish vs beef.

Complicated question. It depends on the kind of fish. Certain fishes are more likely to impart their flavors into other meats, such as salmon and tuna. It's possible to do, but it's not recommended. Many people maintain a separate smoker just for fish, or they thoroughly clean their smoker after doing fish and before doing other types of meat.

Also, fish ideally should be smoked at 180, whereas beef and I think pork should be smoked at 200-225. You can smoke beef at a lower temp, but you don't want to smoke fish at a higher temp.

Lastly, depending on how sophisticated you are with smoking, you may want to use different types of wood for fish vs beef.
Thank you. I was going to try a small piece of haddock. I'll do it separately just to be safe.

Deoends on the wood you are using. If you are planking or smoking a full fish, I would say no. The fish will absorb the pork to the point of it being noticable. If you try it, I would limit my wood to apple (or other milder woods) or oak to smoke both at same time.

I would not do it without testing with some cheap fish like tilapia or catfish first.

Back in the eighties "getting tuna on my meat" was called livin' the dream ... #hadthewoodforfish

Deoends on the wood you are using. If you are planking or smoking a full fish, I would say no. The fish will absorb the pork to the point of it being noticable. If you try it, I would limit my wood to apple (or other milder woods) or oak to smoke both at same time.

I would not do it without testing with some cheap fish like tilapia or catfish first.
It's just a haddock fillet I had in the freezer. I am using hardwood cherry pieces and charcoal. Definitely sounds like I'm much better off not trying to smoke them together.

Thank you. I was going to try a small piece of haddock. I'll do it separately just to be safe.
Take the piece of Haddock and put it on a lower rack, sitting on foil. Directly above it ( on a rack, no foil ) place a bunch of pierced Kielbasa and let the fat drip on the fish. This way you can keep the fish in the smoker longer and create a succulent delicious smoked piece of fish bathed in fat and have several kielbasa to chow on as well.

You ask a question and the answer is experiment as much as you can. Enjoy!!

BTW, never a bad idea if you are smoking a piece of fish to throw in a block of cream cheese or another cheese with a half hour or so to go, yum.

Haddock will be fine. Our current business smokes meat professionally. Haddock should be fine as it does not produce much on any odor. However the most important things to know are: 1) the circulation and convection patterns in your smoker and 2) Clean those grates. We use ceramic coated grates in our capsule smoker and we pressure and steam strip them to avoid cross contamination,or slot foil them before use. The circulation in our smoker which has two tiers of racks the base rack is about a 90 inch wide and the upper racks are about 40 inches wide each. The air input eve with a side box allows us to control air flow such that we can smoke a variety of meats and fish at the same time. It is not a complex smoker and you could do the same thing with foil or metal smoke diversion plates or flex pipes placed in your smoker. If your smoker grill is small..... you can still accomplish a lot by smoke diversion foils..... I often cold smoke salmon on the far right right lower rack near our flue while smoking pork shoulders on the far left....in stage one smoking

Last edited:
Got a quick question for anyone who smokes meat. I have an offset grill/smoker. I am planning on smoking country style ribs and some maple sausage. My question is can I also do fish with the pork and not affect the flavor? Or do I need to do them separately.
tbktk6c72kfz.jpg

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT