ADVERTISEMENT

OT: PSU Prof Claims Eating Meat Extends "Hegemonic Masculinity"

Vegetarianism is an act of feminist resistance. Come anywhere near my steak, and I'll stab you with my fork.
https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=10221
I would propose a different cause and affect argument. Is male vegetarianism simply more prevalent with males of less masculinity to begin with? And that a "masculine" male that adopts a vegetarian diet is not more likely to become less masculine? Although there are studies that show protein substitutes like soybean lowers sperm count.

Reactions: EPC FAN and N&B4PSU
Society only became society due to humans eating meat. The pickers and gatherers were largely seclusive groups.

Society only became society due to humans eating meat. The pickers and gatherers were largely seclusive groups.
Meat, high density protein, was also instrumental in the development and evolution of our brain. And gave us the mental capacity to separate humans from all other animals.

Hegemonic masculinity? That's a great example of a non-sensical made-up ivory tower term. If someone wants to be a vegetarian or a vegan, more power to them. I'll take pity on them when I'm enjoying a medium rare New York strip.

giphy.gif

Meat, high density protein, was also instrumental in the development and evolution of our brain. And gave us the mental capacity to separate humans from all other animals.

Big cats, wolves and polar bears are 100% meat eaters. What happened to the development of their brains.

I would propose a different cause and affect argument. Is male vegetarianism simply more prevalent with males of less masculinity to begin with? And that a "masculine" male that adopts a vegetarian diet is not more likely to become less masculine? Although there are studies that show protein substitutes like soybean lowers sperm count.

Bill Pearl, a major top bodybuilder was a vegetarian.

In todays world - DUE TO SCIENTIFIC DISCOVERY - one can easily be a vegetarian. In the old days - WHEN RELIGION RULED THE WORLD - people ate whatever (and that allowed them to survive). Well, eating everything BUT shellfish and swine - GOD FORBID!

Vegetarianism is an act of feminist resistance. Come anywhere near my steak, and I'll stab you with my fork.
https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=10221

That's a horribly researched article. First of all, she's not a professor; she is a PhD candidate (which is according to the link to the department page within the article).

So I guess that's a little bit better than her being a professor.

Also, I would point out that the process of getting a Ph D is postulating or demonstrating or discovering something that no one has ever done before. So a lot of times that means proposing something wacky.

As a physical scientist who publishes routinely and serves a reviewer for journals, I will tell you that just because something gets published doesn't mean it is great research. Unfortunately, these days there are so many journals (including online only, "pay to play" and open access) that you can get almost anything published. When I serve as a peer reviewer, I'm shocked to see that papers that I reject with 5+ pages of suggested edits, other reviewers "pass with flying colors" (i.e. if I hadn't been asked to review that paper it would have gotten published).

Finally, not being a social scientist, I am probably biased, but a lot of social science seems to me to be questionable from both an experimental design question and a statistical analysis question.

I definitely need a steak for dinner tonight.

Bill Pearl, a major top bodybuilder was a vegetarian.

In todays world - DUE TO SCIENTIFIC DISCOVERY - one can easily be a vegetarian. In the old days - WHEN RELIGION RULED THE WORLD - people ate whatever (and that allowed them to survive). Well, eating everything BUT shellfish and swine - GOD FORBID!
And Jeremiah was a bullfrog.

You do realize that vegetarianism has been around for a long time and that, for example, it was encouraged and practiced by Hindus (Vedic), Buddhists and Jains. It was also encouraged by the Greek Orthodox Church. By the way, they are world religions.

Last edited:
And students go into debt for years to pay for this shite.
And it takes much much much longer to pay it all back since the graduates are only qualified to take a job where they ask, "do you want fries with that?"

You do realize that vegetarianism has been around for a long time and that, for example, it was encouraged and practiced by Hindus (Vedic), Buddhists and Jains. It was also encouraged by the Greek Orthodox Church. By the way, they are world religions.

Yes. But the argument is how "nutritionally sound" vegetarian diets were before we knew the science and getting all the necessary nutrients.

You can't tell me a Buddhist 200+ years ago was getting all the required nutrients. Hence, JR comment about masculinity and low sperm count.

Yes. But the argument is how "nutritionally sound" vegetarian diets were before we knew the science and getting all the necessary nutrients.

You can't tell me a Buddhist 200+ years ago was getting all the required nutrients. Hence, JR comment about masculinity and low sperm count.
I'm not an expert on diets of the Hindu Vedic Period (2nd century millenium BCE - threw you a bone there), for example, so I'll cease and desist with respect to the question of whether or not the early vegetarian diets met the contemporary notion of adequate nutrient requirements. Nevertheless, you're post was not as scientifically clinical as you now make it out to be. Reread what you wrote.

Actually, Jainism is not a world religion. It is pretty much confined to India. The Jains are a very interesting bunch. You know, they won't eat any root vegetable because you have to dig it up and you could injure ground insects and worms. They will sweep in front of themselves so that they don't walk on and kill any bugs. Their diet is incredibly restrictive because of their extreme passivity and concern for all non-plant life.

Reactions: mn78psu83
Actually, Jainism is not a world religion. It is pretty much confined to India. The Jains are a very interesting bunch. You know, they won't eat any root vegetable because you have to dig it up and you could injure ground insects and worms. They will sweep in front of themselves so that they don't walk on and kill any bugs. Their diet is incredibly restrictive because of their extreme passivity and concern for all non-plant life.
Thank you for the clarification. It is largely confined to India with small communities in other parts of the world. Gandhi was influenced by the non-violent aspect of Jainism. One aspect of Jainism that is really interesting to me are their beliefs about the jiva (soul). Quite fascinating and complex.

Reactions: JR4PSU
Hunters evolved by
matching wits and winning
against the world's
top prey and predators.

Vegetarians evolved trying
to outwit a turnip.

;)

Reactions: mtnlion
Another example of incompetent academia and also an example of an incompetent investigation involves Penn State Professor of Atmospheric Science, Michael Mann. Among other things he forwarded an email from a British Scientist (Phil Jones) asking that emails pertaining to climate research be illegally deleted. Penn State claimed to investigate.

Here is how one liberal journalist (whose policy leanings are in alignment with those of Mann) described the Penn State investigation:

"The Penn State inquiry exonerating Michael Mann -- the paleoclimatologist who came up with "the hockey stick" -- would be difficult to parody. Three of four allegations are dismissed out of hand at the outset: the inquiry announces that, for "lack of credible evidence", it will not even investigate them. (At this, MIT's Richard Lindzen tells the committee, "It's thoroughly amazing. I mean these issues are explicitly stated in the emails. I'm wondering what's going on?" The report continues: "The Investigatory Committee did not respond to Dr Lindzen's statement. Instead, [his] attention was directed to the fourth allegation.") Moving on, the report then says, in effect, that Mann is a distinguished scholar, a successful raiser of research funding, a man admired by his peers -- so any allegation of academic impropriety must be false....

In short, the case for the prosecution is never heard. Mann is asked if the allegations (well, one of them) are true, and says no. His record is swooned over. Verdict: case dismissed, with apologies that Mann has been put to such trouble." https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2010/07/climategate-and-the-big-green-lie/59709/ See generally also https://climateaudit.org/2011/02/23/new-light-on-delete-any-emails/ for more details on the request to delete emails.

I am not picking on Penn State -- every large university typically has institutional incompetence and a large Leftist bias. I will note that many of you believe that the Penn State administration incompetently handled the Paterno matter. The Mann "investigation" is further evidence of the administration's lack of competence.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT