ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Power 5 Universities who have NEVER won a National Title in ANY sport

Are you just considering team national championships? Mekhi Lewis from Va Tech won a national championship in wrestling on 2019. Supposedly, many other Va Tech athletes won individual titles in Track and Field.
Yes, team championships are what are being discussed here.

Also, only sports with NCAA championships (which football is not at the FBS level)

WVU has won 20 NCAA championships. 1 in boxing and 19 in rifle.
Reminds me of the time some West Virginia fans were trolling the Michigan board and also Minnesota. The fan went on to say how much better their football program was. Then in another post goes on to say that they are the best program to have never won a National Title.

Are you the best of the worst, or the worst of the best...

Priceless.

She was a disaster.
Yet another lousy leader at PSU. I’ll be shocked if this new academic leader does much if anything.

I was listening to ESPNU Radio today and they were talking about the college world series tonight and they mentioned that Mississippi State is one of 3 power five universities that have NEVER won a national title in ANY sport. For some reason I thought there would be a lot more than three universities in this boat.

Anyone else surprised by this?

The other two are Kansas State & Virginia Tech.

Actually... (updated post) ... at the same time there's dozens of sports out there... It's shocking these three schools have never won a title. Fencing? Gymnastics? Swimming? .... You'd think something!
The Mississippi State Bulldogs baseball team is the varsity intercollegiate baseball team representing Mississippi State University in NCAA Division I college baseball. The program is a member of the West Division of the Southeastern Conference (SEC). The current head coach is Chris Lemonis. They have appeared in the College World Series 12 times, winning their first national championship in their most recent appearance in 2021.

So just two left now.

I know it can be somewhat subjective when football is factored in. I don’t believe Pitt has ever won an NCAA National championship though.
The pitters ought to try curling. They would be skilled at manipulating the curling rock with the broom since they spend so much time sweeping the soot and filth off the streets surrounding their dorms.

Last edited:
Reactions: PSUoh90
Are you just considering team national championships? Mekhi Lewis from Va Tech won a national championship in wrestling on 2019. Supposedly, many other Va Tech athletes won individual titles in Track and Field.
If the 1 boxer from WVU counts then I imagine a Hokie rassler should too...no?

Boxing was an ncaa sport at one time psu had a great boxing team. Rifle also an ncaa team. Psu had a team that was shut down in the early eighties. The range was in rec hall.
The PSU grads that wrote Casablanca (the Epstein brothers) both were collegiate boxers--Julius won the NCAA Bantamweight class in 1931. Phillip's grandson Theo is famous in baseball management (Cubs and Red Sox)

ADVERTISEMENT