ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Power 5 Universities who have NEVER won a National Title in ANY sport

NittanyLion15

Aug 17, 2001
Laporte, PA
www.youtube.com
I was listening to ESPNU Radio today and they were talking about the college world series tonight and they mentioned that Mississippi State is one of 3 power five universities that have NEVER won a national title in ANY sport. For some reason I thought there would be a lot more than three universities in this boat.

Anyone else surprised by this?

The other two are Kansas State & Virginia Tech.

Actually... (updated post) ... at the same time there's dozens of sports out there... It's shocking these three schools have never won a title. Fencing? Gymnastics? Swimming? .... You'd think something!

I was listening to ESPNU Radio today and they were talking about the college world series tonight and they mentioned that Mississippi State is one of 3 power five universities that have NEVER won a national title in ANY sport. For some reason I thought there would be a lot more than three universities in this boat.

Anyone else surprised by this?

The other two are Kansas State & Virginia Tech.

Yes and no. Would have thought there were more, but then there are a lot of sports.

Reactions: NittanyLion15
No way. They've won NCs in ice hockey if nothing else.
Yep Five of them. And I always wondered where Jerry York ended up... (historical note--I was a real rink rat (played IMs with one championship and went to all of the games I could go to) in my grad school days at tOSU (1978-1983) and the big rivalry was tOSU vs York's Bowling Green....

Link

Maybe rifle isn’t now, but it was for a lot of years when I lived there.
Rifle has been in NCAA scholarship level sponsored sport since at least the 80s. Currently there are only a couple dozen schools that have teams but back in its heyday there were at least two to three times as many. There are also quite a few schools that offer Club rifle as well and there are Club rifle national championships just like other club sports have too.
Generally most of the competing teams are schools throughout Appalachia and places in the Rockies and Alaska. Kentucky won this year's National Championship but schools like WVU and Alaska Fairbanks have generally dominated the field over the years.
Pennsylvania offers High School rifle championships and many of the best kids from PA go on to do the same at these colleges

Reactions: TheGLOV
I checked Barry's website for this topic and found the following detailed report. Below is an excerpt from that report.

In the seven years PRIOR to Barbour taking over at Penn State, Penn State won more conference championships than any other Big Ten program.

Big Ten Titles in the seven years prior to Barbour, from 2007/08 through 2013/14:

PSU: 31 1/2 championships, an average of 4 1/2 championships per year.

By comparison, over the same time period:
Michigan: 30 championships
OSU: 24 championships

* Finishing in a first place tie was recorded as “1/2” of a championship

In the seven years since Barbour was given the reins, how has Penn State Athletics done on the field?

Big Ten Titles in the seven years of Barbour’s reign, From 2014/15 through 2020/21:

PSU: 14, an average of 2 championships per year.

OSU: 34
Michigan: 33

It may have changed but at one time Rifle was the only co-ed sport, where men and women compete with and against each other.
Yes it's coed and generally the women are the ones who are finishing at the top of a leaderboard. I'm pretty sure that women won both smallbore and air rifle this year

Wasn't that NIT (or other precursor)? So still not NCAA (just like their pre-WWII football championships are not NCAA 'ships)
Per their wiki page:

“The Panthers were retroactively recognized as the pre-NCAA Tournament national champion twice by the Helms Athletic Foundation and once by the Premo-Porretta Power Poll.”

So like I said, they claim two national championships. Funny wording makes it sound like three. But the Premo-Porretta championship was for the same season as one of the Helms championships.

Also fun to note that by claiming these national championships, they make this claim:

“The university's athletic program is one of only five current NCAA Division 1A schools to have won multiple national championships in both football (9) and basketball (2)”

Per their wiki page:

“The Panthers were retroactively recognized as the pre-NCAA Tournament national champion twice by the Helms Athletic Foundation and once by the Premo-Porretta Power Poll.”

So like I said, they claim two national championships. Funny wording makes it sound like three. But the Premo-Porretta championship was for the same season as one of the Helms championships.

Also fun to note that by claiming these national championships, they make this claim:

“The university's athletic program is one of only five current NCAA Division 1A schools to have won multiple national championships in both football (9) and basketball (2)”

Thanks for clarifying. This reinforces the point that they have NEVER won an NCAA national championship.

I checked Barry's website for this topic and found the following detailed report. Below is an excerpt from that report.

In the seven years PRIOR to Barbour taking over at Penn State, Penn State won more conference championships than any other Big Ten program.

Big Ten Titles in the seven years prior to Barbour, from 2007/08 through 2013/14:

PSU: 31 1/2 championships, an average of 4 1/2 championships per year.

Michigan: 30 championships
OSU: 24 championships

* Finishing in a first place tie was recorded as “1/2” of a championship

In the seven years since Barbour was given the reins, how has Penn State Athletics done on the field?

Big Ten Titles in the seven years of Barbour’s reign, From 2014/15 through 2020/21:

PSU: 14, an average of 2 championships per year.

OSU: 34
Michigan: 33

Could you please direct me to the pro-PSU page on BARRY. o_O ’s web site? Thank you. 😞

Reactions: TheGLOV
That’s fair, but also consistent with my initial point.
No “claimed” national championship is a NCAA championship. If there is no NCAA tournament there is no NCAA champion. Football (FBS) has never had a NCAA champion because the NCAA has never run a year end tournament to determine a champion.

MJG-90 is correct our Subdivision does not have an NCAA champion because the NCAA has never run a year end tournament in our Subdivision. The other Subdivision has a NCAA run tournament and therefore a NCAA champion. I love saying/typing Subdivision. It sounds like a housing development.

Boxing was an ncaa sport at one time psu had a great boxing team. Rifle also an ncaa team. Psu had a team that was shut down in the early eighties. The range was in rec hall.
One of the guys that wrote Casablanca won an NCAA boxing championship at State. Julius Epstein.

Per their wiki page:

The other fun Pitt basketball fact is that Penn State has been to Final Four more recently (1954) than Pitt (1941).

Obviously, both are so long ago as to not be relevant, but still fun to tell fans of the program that tore down their football stadium to build a basketball arena that their in-state "rival" has been more recently than they have....LOL.

Reactions: john4psu
Boxing was an ncaa sport at one time psu had a great boxing team. Rifle also an ncaa team. Psu had a team that was shut down in the early eighties. The range was in rec hall.
they just took the rifle range out of White Building a few years ago

I thought you guys would like to see the athletic graduation rates at PSU for the 7 years prior to Sandy Vs the 7 years of Sandy.

Barry has the details at: https://barryfenchak4trustee.com/2021/06/16/psu-athletics-in-classroom-success-under-sandy-barbour/

So, the wins have disappeared as fast as the graduation rates. Nice!
barbour-gsr.jpg

• Angry
Reactions: 91Joe95 and bison13
Are you just considering team national championships? Mekhi Lewis from Va Tech won a national championship in wrestling on 2019. Supposedly, many other Va Tech athletes won individual titles in Track and Field.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT