ADVERTISEMENT

OT PNC Bank

dailybuck777

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2018
Several years ago, PNC permitted my 14 year-old daughter to share my debit card, so I started letting my daughter use my PNC credit card. She probably signed up for something claiming to be free but had hidden in it a large charge if you didn't cancel soon. In any event, I have gotten a couple of charges from BCP*Dash Midwest Cellular for $172 and neither I nor my daughter know what it is. After the first charge, I thought the card no. was stolen and cancelled the card on the basis of the number being stolen. Get a new card and charge goes through again and I challenge it and PNC states that it can't honor the claim. Gives no reasons, nothing and I don't know what I am allegedly paying for.

The kicker is that the PNC fraud dept is only open from 9-5 on weekdays. Can't even talk to them today. They don't care about fraud at all and don't care about their customers. I should add that I have made similar claims on other cards (for instance Capital ONe Venture) and they have all been resolved fairly.

Several years ago, PNC permitted my 14 year-old daughter to share my debit card, so I started letting my daughter use my PNC credit card. She probably signed up for something claiming to be free but had hidden in it a large charge if you didn't cancel soon. In any event, I have gotten a couple of charges from BCP*Dash Midwest Cellular for $172 and neither I nor my daughter know what it is. After the first charge, I thought the card no. was stolen and cancelled the card on the basis of the number being stolen. Get a new card and charge goes through again and I challenge it and PNC states that it can't honor the claim. Gives no reasons, nothing and I don't know what I am allegedly paying for.

The kicker is that the PNC fraud dept is only open from 9-5 on weekdays. Can't even talk to them today. They don't care about fraud at all and don't care about their customers. I should add that I have made similar claims on other cards (for instance Capital ONe Venture) and they have all been resolved fairly.

Is that exactly how the charge is written on your account?
Typically if you log in and view the charge there's some phone number or something.
First google search the charge. Exactly how written to see what it may be.

Their fraud department is open 24-7. Undoubtedly. If you claim your card is lost or stolen they will immediately respond. But on something like that there is no rush. You can reverse these charges whenever.

Call them Monday and tell them you don't know this charge.

LdN

They don't care about fraud at all and don't care about their customers.
In my experience, PNC’s fraud department is one of the best in the industry.

A few months ago I consulted for a company that had been socially engineered into send six figures to a compromised PNC account. They thought they money was long gone but PNC’s fraud department reversed the transaction after two days.

Reactions: mellowlion
You aren’t responsible if nobody asked for the service. Tell PNC you didn’t make the charge and will not pay for it, period

Mojo Nixon had it right when he made that song named "I Hate Banks."
Mojo and his sidekick, Skid Roper. They had some great songs. Burn Down the Malls, Elvis is Everywhere, Stuffin Martha’s Muffin…. Classic stuff!

• Sad
Reactions: Lion8286
You aren’t responsible if nobody asked for the service. Tell PNC you didn’t make the charge and will not pay for it, period
Problem is I wouldn't be surprised if my 16-year-old daughter was tricked into something. As of this point I don't know. Once I wanted to check a VIN No. and add said you could do it for $1. Shortly later, I am charged $150 for a yearly membership. My CC voided the charge. (Probably Capital One) PNC doesn't look like it will cooperate in this way.

Problem is I wouldn't be surprised if my 16-year-old daughter was tricked into something. As of this point I don't know. Once I wanted to check a VIN No. and add said you could do it for $1. Shortly later, I am charged $150 for a yearly membership. My CC voided the charge. (Probably Capital One) PNC doesn't look like it will cooperate in this way.
I think your problem is arising from the fact it’s a debit card instead of a credit card.

I hate PNC. For anyone in central PA, Kish is a FAR better banking experience from top to bottom.

Good luck. I’ve always heard it’s easier to cancel unauthorized charges if a credit card was used rather than a debit card.

If it is a credit card you don’t have to pay it, period. It is up to the service provider to offer proof of purchase.

If the charge is fraudulent the bank should take care of it. If your daughter unknowingly signed up for something you may be liable. Either way I would see what she committed to and have future charges stopped.

Have you tried calling Midwest Cellular to get an understanding of what the charges are for? They may not even be a real company at this point.

Have you tried calling Midwest Cellular to get an understanding of what the charges are for? They may not even be a real company at this point.
Tried to look them up on the internet and I don't see what the company is. That is part of my frustration. I am getting charged for something that I know zero about. So far, PNC has not explained who Midwest Cellular is. For sure, we did not get a phone service. This is just a name used to cover whatever this entity is.

I specifically put in the name of the company that was charging the card on the chance that maybe somebody would be familiar with it. In searching it, I can find nothing.

In my experience, PNC’s fraud department is one of the best in the industry.

A few months ago I consulted for a company that had been socially engineered into send six figures to a compromised PNC account. They thought they money was long gone but PNC’s fraud department reversed the transaction after two days.
Turns out you are right about PNC. My daughter had her Apple Cell phone screen fixed. Name of co. didn't ring any bells.

Called them today and they said they called me earlier. (Probably kicked to the can by my spam filter). Also, sent me 2 letters. (I read the 2d one. ) On the phone, they said the card was presented to the merchant and then the Apple fix popped up in my head. Asked me for my info about transaction. (thought they would be arrogant but weren't)

Other than PNC's ridiculous hours of 9-5, their dept appears to be good. Happy to correct my mistaken first impression.

Mojo and his sidekick, Skid Roper. They had some great songs. Burn Down the Malls, Elvis is Everywhere, Stuffin Martha’s Muffin…. Classic stuff!
"Stuffin Martha's Muffin?" LOL, that seems particularly appropriate today, given that it is National Vagina Appreciation Day.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT