ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Plumbing Noise

Nashville Lion

Sep 25, 2005
So we moved into new home about two months ago. Last night we noticed a weird plumbing noise for first time. When we flush toilets or run washing machine or use shower, we hear a moaning noise that appears to be coming from the main valve. Once toilet fills up or faucet cut off, the noise stops.

I bled the lines this morning to see if we lost air cushion in pipes and if that would help. Any ideas? I have gone in basement and in storage room near HVAC and water heater...I don't notice any leaks.

Let me say this...this is a 38 year old house on city water but with septic. Thanks for any insight.

Have you tried opening and closing and closing the main valve to see if there’s any restriction near where you say you hear the noise?
Could be sediment or a stone.
When you close it completely check a spigot to see if you still have flow.

So we moved into new home about two months ago. Last night we noticed a weird plumbing noise for first time. When we flush toilets or run washing machine or use shower, we hear a moaning noise that appears to be coming from the main valve. Once toilet fills up or faucet cut off, the noise stops.

I bled the lines this morning to see if we lost air cushion in pipes and if that would help. Any ideas? I have gone in basement and in storage room near HVAC and water heater...I don't notice any leaks.

Let me say this...this is a 38 year old house on city water but with septic. Thanks for any insight.
Don’t let your wife near the spin cycle.

Try moving the fill line tubes under the sinks, the ones connect to the fawcetts, Try them one at a time and listen. sometimes a sight kink will cause a moaning noise. Just happened to me last night.

Reactions: Nashville Lion
Try moving the fill line tubes under the sinks, the ones connect to the fawcetts, Try them one at a time and listen. sometimes a sight kink will cause a moaning noise. Just happened to me last night.
Thanks. I will give that a shot.

Well, my trick worked for now. When I cut off main water valve, then turned on faucets and then cut back on main valve later...problem fixed for now.

Have you tried opening and closing and closing the main valve to see if there’s any restriction near where you say you hear the noise?
Could be sediment or a stone.
When you close it completely check a spigot to see if you still have flow.

Well, my trick worked for now. When I cut off main water valve, then turned on faucets and then cut back on main valve later...problem fixed for now.

Glad you thought of that!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT