ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Plumbing issue

Ranger Dan

Gold Member
Aug 31, 2003
York PA
We have a regular kitchen sink and dishwasher that feeds into the plumbing for the sink. For some reason, our sink gets clogged frequently and water backs up. The sink backs up on its own and water backs up in the sink when just the dishwasher is running? We wash pots and pans in the sink but use a food trap/filter. It can’t be more that anyone else. Even my experience living in three other houses/apartments and never had this issue. We had a plumber come out and he couldn’t do anything. We’ve tried liquid draino multiple times but no significant change. It almost seems like the pvc pipes are undersized or the interior walls are narrower from some sort of build up. We do cook with oils and butter but most of that goes into my belly.

Should we replace the entire drain system?

Is it possible to get industrial/restaurant size plumbing?

We have a regular kitchen sink and dishwasher that feeds into the plumbing for the sink. For some reason, our sink gets clogged frequently and water backs up. The sink backs up on its own and water backs up in the sink when just the dishwasher is running? We wash pots and pans in the sink but use a food trap/filter. It can’t be more that anyone else. Even my experience living in three other houses/apartments and never had this issue. We had a plumber come out and he couldn’t do anything. We’ve tried liquid draino multiple times but no significant change. It almost seems like the pvc pipes are undersized or the interior walls are narrower from some sort of build up. We do cook with oils and butter but most of that goes into my belly.

I'm not a plumber and have no real experience .. but here is a thought.

Does your dishwasher empty into the garbage disposal or into a pipe after the disposal? Notice that in our house the DW emptys into the garbage disposal, so whn the DW drains, we have to briefly turn on the disposal to make sure it doesn't get clogged up.

I had something similar at my house. Got any trees near your lines outside? One may have grown into your pipe? Ground settlement and improper backfill around the line may break your line also. My line from the kitchen joined the lateral outside the house. It ended up being broke. I kept bringing up wood fragments on my snake, despite not having a tree nearby. I rerouted the line rather than replacing it.

2 inch PVC should be more than adequate for a kitchen sink and dishwasher. But you can certainly buy bigger sizes if your walls and ceiling will hold it.

Can you tell what size the drain pipes are that are in there currently?

Reactions: Ranger Dan

If it worked before and then stopped its not the size of the pipe.

The only thing I can think of is a smaller pipe would plug and restrict flow easier. But if Draino isn't working to open it back up, that's most likely not the issue anyway.

Lots of things come to mind. I agree with others about checking for roots outside....another thing would be to check the plumbing vent(s) to make sure nothing is blocked.

A plumber with a snake camera thing would be great.

How is the pitch in the basement? Are the pipes thick enough and have the right pitch for the liquid to head to the main pipe in the basement, and also not get a food build up in the basement pipe? This happened to me in my current home.

Lots of things come to mind. I agree with others about checking for roots outside....another thing would be to check the plumbing vent(s) to make sure nothing is blocked.

A plumber with a snake camera thing would be great.
I was going to mention a plugged vent pipe could be the problem too. An easy way to clear them is get on the roof with your garden hose and spray water down them especially since it's warm out now.

Reactions: The Spin Meister

I would bet that the drain pipe running away from the sink is partially clogged with cooking oils. Is there a relatively flat run away from there; that is usually where the buildup occurs. I have a long run from the kitchen sink to the main drain just below the main floor joists. I had to replace that entire piece of pipe because it gets clogged up with cooking oils. I made a rubber splice on each end and take it down every couple of years when it gets slow to drain. It is 2" PVC which works fine when clean. You would be surprised how much gunk builds up in a pipe that is slow draining.

I would bet that the drain pipe running away from the sink is partially clogged with cooking oils. Is there a relatively flat run away from there; that is usually where the buildup occurs. I have a long run from the kitchen sink to the main drain just below the main floor joists. I had to replace that entire piece of pipe because it gets clogged up with cooking oils. I made a rubber splice on each end and take it down every couple of years when it gets slow to drain. It is 2" PVC which works fine when clean. You would be surprised how much gunk builds up in a pipe that is slow draining.
When I rerouted my line, I ended up with a long flat run. I regularly put a sink full of hot water as well as dish soap through mine to try to keep the oil and grease buildup to a minimum. So far it's been working.

Can you elaborate on what the plumber had to say? You make it sound like he just threw up his hands or shrugged his shoulders. I would suggest you try a different (i.e. better) plumber. This seems like a pretty basic plumbing issue.

Reactions: psu1969a
Dan ,Had the same problem. The pipe going into the wall was partially clogged where it goes thru the outside wall. The grease had
formed a gunk rink right there. It formed a grease collar so some water will pass thru but slows down the flow. Cleaned it out with a putty knife. Not a big deal. You will have to take out the PVC trap and other pipes to get to it.

Reactions: Fayette_LION
What exactly did you plumber do?

We have a similar set-up to what you describe. SOP is to undo and clear the P-trap. If that doesn't help, the next step is to run a snake til it hits the main stack, clearing any clogs along the way. That's pretty much it.

A someone previously posted, if you haven't had this problem before it's not because your pipes are of insufficient diameter.

I'm not a plumber and have no real experience .. but here is a thought.

Does your dishwasher empty into the garbage disposal or into a pipe after the disposal? Notice that in our house the DW emptys into the garbage disposal, so whn the DW drains, we have to briefly turn on the disposal to make sure it doesn't get clogged up.
We don’t have a garbage disposal

Reactions: TheGLOV
I had something similar at my house. Got any trees near your lines outside? One may have grown into your pipe? Ground settlement and improper backfill around the line may break your line also. My line from the kitchen joined the lateral outside the house. It ended up being broke. I kept bringing up wood fragments on my snake, despite not having a tree nearby. I rerouted the line rather than replacing it.

2 inch PVC should be more than adequate for a kitchen sink and dishwasher. But you can certainly buy bigger sizes if your walls and ceiling will hold it.
No, there aren’t any trees or tree roots in the kitchen or anywhere in the house. we also don’t have any trees near our septic system. The issue is draining directly from our kitchen sink, no other sinks or showers, bathtubs, etc.

its been on and off ever since we bought the house 10 years ago. I realize that we likely have standard pipes, but thought larger pipes would be a workaround

How is the pitch in the basement? Are the pipes thick enough and have the right pitch for the liquid to head to the main pipe in the basement, and also not get a food build up in the basement pipe? This happened to me in my current home.
This sounds very plausible

Lots of good input. Thanks. Wife says the plumber undid the clog, and just now added that he said there was something else he could do if we continued to have issues. This is the first she’s said that and in fact had previously said that there was nothing he could do.

the grease thing is a likely option, as we do cook using oils of various kinds. Our sink is in an island so the drain goes straight down after the trap. I’ve never considered the horizontal pipe once the drain goes into the basement. I’ll first take out the trap and see what’s in there.

thanks again.

Lots of good input. Thanks. Wife says the plumber undid the clog, and just now added that he said there was something else he could do if we continued to have issues. This is the first she’s said that and in fact had previously said that there was nothing he could do.

the grease thing is a likely option, as we do cook using oils of various kinds. Our sink is in an island so the drain goes straight down after the trap. I’ve never considered the horizontal pipe once the drain goes into the basement. I’ll first take out the trap and see what’s in there.

thanks again.
if you have a pressure washer and are the diy type person, you can get a jet nozzle and jet your own line. they have one jet pointing forward and 3 to 7 pointing backwards. They may clean the line better then just a snake. a snake may just clear a small hole where the jet system cleans the whole pipe. if this is not a new home then everything should be fine as far as size and venting.

if you have a pressure washer and are the diy type person, you can get a jet nozzle and jet your own line. they have one jet pointing forward and 3 to 7 pointing backwards. They may clean the line better then just a snake. a snake may just clear a small hole where the jet system cleans the whole pipe. if this is not a new home then everything should be fine as far as size and venting.
We do have a pressure washer. Do I feed it from the sink end? Where do you get the jet system?

Last edited:

thanks again.
If it’s an island you may have venting problem. Hard to vent an island. You can install an air admittance valve that if that is legal in your area. They allow air in when needed which means better drainage. Poor venting may be allowing debris to build up in line if it doesn’t drain fast enough. If it already has one, check to be sure it it working.

Warning, Warning. Do not put high pressure in the line unless you want a face full of whatever is blocking the line. If it doesn't immediately clear itself, your get everything right back at you through the opening you are putting the pressure through. Been there and done that! Bad bad crap in that pipe.

• Haha
Reactions: The Spin Meister
we had a similar problem. Plumber snaked us. Problem solved.

I would recommend having the plumber send camera down into pipes to investigate if you have not already. You might need to replace piping.

This sounds very plausible

I dicked around for 10+ years and probably had the plumber out 15+ times. Pipes werent large enough, bad pitch, also had a bend before the end/joint. Got it fixed/replaced. Also upgraded the garbage disposal. As mentioned above, the plumber also recommended using Dawn, not a cheap no name detergent, and then pouring boiling water down the pipes. I've had no issues since. I will say, most larger food scraps, spaghetti, oil, etc, go in the trash.

Warning, Warning. Do not put high pressure in the line unless you want a face full of whatever is blocking the line. If it doesn't immediately clear itself, your get everything right back at you through the opening you are putting the pressure through. Been there and done that! Bad bad crap in that pipe.
Yeah, snake it out first to open the line. Then you could pressure wash it to be sure it is clear.

Reactions: brupsu
These reasons can lead to the result - the pipeline will have to be cleaned. And if this is not done promptly, problems can arise. As soon as you notice that the water is not coming out of the sink properly, it would help if you sounded the alarm. But, as they say, it's clear where there's no trash. Before you deal with cleaning your pipes, you need to consider preventative measures that can minimize the likelihood of a clogged drain. If you don't, you'll have to spend money on plumbers. My friend didn't keep track of his sewer and had to call https://draintoronto.ca/ for help.

Last edited:

Heat up a big pot of boiling water and pour it down your sink maybe have to do a couple times after that take trap apart and snake the drain as far as you can reach then put it back together and pour more boiling water down the drain

Don’t poop in the sink. Pee is ok.

Reactions: joeaubie21
You need to call your local hydro jet drain cleaning company, it sounds like your pipes down line have a lot of buildup. A 1.5 inch pvc drain pipe should easily handle typical household waste but you shouldn't actively put solids down any drain even if through the disposal, you're just asking for trouble in this scenario.
Get your drain hydro jetted and start composting your scraps, do not put them down the drain.
Hydro jetting is pretty expensive and many companies have a minimum fee so even a small job may cost a fair amount. I'm thinking the minimum for this type service is gonna be in the $600 area but its been years since I checked in on it.

ADVERTISEMENT