ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Places to view the eclipse.

Leo Ridens

Jun 2, 2001
I plan on driving south from the DC area to somewhere in South Carolina or possibly North Carolina or Tennessee, stay overnight the nights before and after the eclipse, and drive back. Two possibilities are Columbia and Clemson SC. Has anybody been to these towns? Are they worth staying for a couple of days? I am not interested in seeing their stadiums or sports halls of fame, just wondering if they are decent college towns. Any advice on them or other possible destinations to view the eclipse would be welcome. The link below gives details of the path of the eclipse. Thanks in advance.

Link: http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/maps.htm

Clemson --- the 24 hours I spent there --- struck me as a good college town. Certainly 100% better than a place like Greenville up the road.

Big thing about South Carolina and the eclipse, of course, will be the weather.

I, personally, am aiming for the Nebraska Sand Hills. Not many folk out there, and fairly good odds at sunny skies.

whole-us.gif

We are heading to the Great Smoky Mountains for the full eclipse. We'll be in Bryson City, NC. Looks like a very cool town and they have all kinds of parties lined up. Plus the Smokys are one of the few national parks we've never been to.

Two possibilities are Columbia and Clemson SC.

Clemson University's move-in takes place that weekend. 1st year students move in on 8/19, and continuing students move in on 8/20. That could impact the availability of hotel rooms in Clemson, SC.

Univ. of South Carolina's move-in date is 8/22. Columbia is a pretty big town, but that could impact the availability of hotel rooms in Columbia, SC for 8/21 and 8/22.

Problem is weather. Going to stage in near Charolette NC a day or two prior and then head to where the weather will be best.

Have tent, will travel.

I plan on driving south from the DC area to somewhere in South Carolina or possibly North Carolina or Tennessee, stay overnight the nights before and after the eclipse, and drive back. Two possibilities are Columbia and Clemson SC. Has anybody been to these towns? Are they worth staying for a couple of days? I am not interested in seeing their stadiums or sports halls of fame, just wondering if they are decent college towns. Any advice on them or other possible destinations to view the eclipse would be welcome. The link below gives details of the path of the eclipse. Thanks in advance.

Link: http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/maps.htm

Thanks to everyone (especially Tom for his college move-in information) for their suggestions. I am still considering my possibilities. I'll soon make hotel reservations with the option that they can be cancelled if the weather does not cooperate.

I'll soon make hotel reservations with the option that they can be cancelled if the weather does not cooperate.

very smart move. A couple of decades ago (maybe longer), I knew someone that had always wanted to see a total eclipse, so they booked a trip to Australia for when it was scheduled. And while they have a lovely time in Australia, the skies were totally overcast the day of the eclipse, so this individual and all the others that had traveled their didn't get to see what they were hoping for. (I may have the country wrong -- it's been a long time, and this person is deceased, so I can't check -- but it was someplace that was just about that far away from the USA.)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT