ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Pickup truck price haggling question

uppermaclion

Sep 6, 2005
I'm in the market for new truck. First new truck I've ever bought. So most companies are offering some pretty big discounts on some of their trucks now. The truck I am looking at with incentives and discounts ends up being about $7000 below MSRP.

Now when I go on to all these car value sites, with the incentives (and I specified it out exactly as it is on the window sticker so the MSRP is exact) the dealer is price is actually lower then the websites "real good" price(meaning the price is way on the left of the bell curve). Now part of this is because they only account for the incentives and not the discounts(at least I haven't seen how to account for the discounts). The companies are offering like $3000 off the technology package for example, which I don't believe is being accounted for in the fair price. Almost all the sites are coming out with roughly the same fair price(all withing a few hundred dollars)

So my question is with the incentives and discounts that put the truck nearly $7000 under MSRP, will they deal at all or is the price so low that is basically their best deal? I've always haggled with cars, but I'm not sure with the discounts and such on these trucks how much they'll move.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

In my experience, they are working on pretty tight margins. I've always thrown in a trade in after coming to a price hoping to gain a little back on that. Good luck...love a truck. I'm partial to the F-150.

Best advice I can give is look up the invoice price. Then check what the hold back percentage is. With dodge its 3% of the MSRP. That would be your base price to go off of. Expect to split the hold back percentage. Then look at what the manufacture discounts are and subtract those. Keep in mind the dealer gets that discount from the manufacture so look at that as their profit. If there are then dealer discounts, you'd subtract those at this point. Always start at the invoice-some hold back- manufacture discounts

I'm in the market for new truck. First new truck I've ever bought. So most companies are offering some pretty big discounts on some of their trucks now. The truck I am looking at with incentives and discounts ends up being about $7000 below MSRP.

Now when I go on to all these car value sites, with the incentives (and I specified it out exactly as it is on the window sticker so the MSRP is exact) the dealer is price is actually lower then the websites "real good" price(meaning the price is way on the left of the bell curve). Now part of this is because they only account for the incentives and not the discounts(at least I haven't seen how to account for the discounts). The companies are offering like $3000 off the technology package for example, which I don't believe is being accounted for in the fair price. Almost all the sites are coming out with roughly the same fair price(all withing a few hundred dollars)

So my question is with the incentives and discounts that put the truck nearly $7000 under MSRP, will they deal at all or is the price so low that is basically their best deal? I've always haggled with cars, but I'm not sure with the discounts and such on these trucks how much they'll move.

I just bough a new F150 Super Crew. I offered 2,000 below the price with the discounts. They said they couldn't come down that low. I said the 2012 i was driving suited me fine. A month later they called and would meet my price, tax, transfer and all other cost included.

In my experience, they are working on pretty tight margins. I've always thrown in a trade in after coming to a price hoping to gain a little back on that. Good luck...love a truck. I'm partial to the F-150.

On TRUCKS.!?!? Hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehhh. Sure

If you can wait until the end of December you can usually get an even better deal because dealers don't want to pay taxes when the year rolls over. And yes, you can still haggle the same as for a car. Best deals are always at the end of the month (commissions) and end of year (taxes).

You can get a pretty good idea on whether there are better discounts by using http://www.edmunds.com/price-promise.html . I recently bought a Lexus. The local dealer told me no way I would get more than 1k off and wouldn't budge. Just by using Edmunds, there is a price that they show right up front that showed me a lot more off. Select the dealers that include a Price Promise they are going to be more likely to negotiate. I then used that price promise price to negotiate an even lower price. I used dealer prices within 200 miles of my zip.

Here is an example of a Chevy Colorado. You can customize to more specifics regarding the vehicle you want.
http://www.edmunds.com/inventory/sr...ub=Colorado+Extended+Cab&zip=15102&radius=200

I've you already know that you have the best available price, you won't be able to negotiate much. Maybe floor mats...

Bought a new 2013 Black Diamond Avalanche in 1/2013. MSRP-$44,500 Paid $34,500.
Drove it 22 months, 15000 miles, traded it on 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit. Trade-in given-$33,500 ($1000 under what I paid). Jeep was at $4900 off MSRP!

OH, almost forgot to mention: had $2100 on GM credit card, they rounded up to $3000 and later sent a coupon for another $1000 off! Hence $10,000 off MSRP on Avy!

I've always done Out The Door = Dealer Invoice + $500 - Manufacturer and Dealer discounts + Tax, Tag & Title. If you can get some of their holdback, even better. That said, although I buy new, I do not buy any sort of special edition type vehicles. I always buy fairly common models...last one being a Toyota Tundra.

ADVERTISEMENT