ADVERTISEMENT

OT Picking Tires for a 2009 Honda Accord That my 16-yr-old daughter will be driving soon.

dailybuck777

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2018
My 16-yr-old daughter will hopefully get her driver's license Friday. The Accord that I bought her has about 190,000 miles. It needs new tires. I was stunned by the high cost of tires. (One of the places, I called said that tires would cost $800 to $900 and said high prices were due to supply problems out of China. Did find that I could get tires with only a 40,000 mile expected life for about $540. Seems like everything in 60,000 mile range costs about $700 or $750. Since the car has high mileage, I am a bit tempted by the 40,000 mile tires, but it being a Honda, it could easily get 350,000 miles. Wondering about any insights from people here.

My insight is don’t be a tightwad on tires for 12 year old vehicle with almost 200k miles that will be driven by your daughter…..
Safety is a concern. Wear and tear not so much. Wouldn't be surprised though if longevity and safety went together.

Safety is a concern. Wear and tear not so much. Wouldn't be surprised though if longevity and safety went together.

it doesn’t. Longevity goes with harder rubber compound that offers less traction.

60000 miles is ridiculous. Unless she’s driving a ton they’re going to age out before you wear them out.

Last edited:
My 16-yr-old daughter will hopefully get her driver's license Friday. The Accord that I bought her has about 190,000 miles. It needs new tires. I was stunned by the high cost of tires. (One of the places, I called said that tires would cost $800 to $900 and said high prices were due to supply problems out of China. Did find that I could get tires with only a 40,000 mile expected life for about $540. Seems like everything in 60,000 mile range costs about $700 or $750. Since the car has high mileage, I am a bit tempted by the 40,000 mile tires, but it being a Honda, it could easily get 350,000 miles. Wondering about any insights from people here.

I just picked up tires this evening for my wife's 2012 Civic through Costco. Michelin CorssClimate2 16" tires. Wanted a tire with good snow performance. $590 installed, that includes $150 rebate if they install them. The other Michelin's and Bridgestones were in the same ball park. the CrossClimate comes with 50K warrante most of the other Michelin and Bridgestone tires were in the 70K-75K range.

TireRack is another good place to look for tires. they ship them to you or you can pick up if they have a warehouse in your area. Need to find a local garage to install them. I'm sure you will find cheaper tires at TireRack and a little work on your part will save you money. Nice thing about Costco is they don't nickle and dime you when you get them installed, $20 per tire to install.

Last edited:

If you get a decent tire from a reputable manufacturer safety isn't a concern. My last sets of tires for the two Civics I had were South Korean, Hankook was one of them. A bit lower on the mileage ratings than some other tires but they were on the cheaper side and performed well. Big thing is read up about the tires you select there are websites that help rate them. I used Tire Deets, they did a decent job rating the ones I was looking at.

Reactions: dailybuck777
I second the Costco recommendation. We've bought Michelins for our van and our SUV from Costco and have been pleased with them - good wear and performance. And Costco does a good job and their prices are competitive.

I bought Firestones for our SUV years ago...not "bad" tires but wasn't too pleased with the wear or performance. You get what you pay for.

If you get a decent tire from a reputable manufacturer safety isn't a concern. My last sets of tires for the two Civics I had were South Korean, Hankook was one of them. A bit lower on the mileage ratings than some other tires but they were on the cheaper side and performed well. Big thing is read up about the tires you select there are websites that help rate them. I used Tire Deets, they did a decent job rating the ones I was looking at.

Safety being a concern from a blowout/QC standpoint isn't but you do give up certain favorable characteristics in ultra high treadwear tires . The higher performance tires are going to provide shorter braking distances and road holding in emergency maneuvers by nature of their design. I always run dedicated summer and winter setups, but realize that's not for everyone. If I was shopping for all seasons I'd probably get Michelin Pilot Sport All season 4 or Conti DWS06.

Last edited:
$900 ! They are full of shit...

kudos on getting your daughter a 190,000 mi Accord... good choice for a first ride... hopefully, you got her a 2.4L 4cyl with 16” tires .... once you move beyond 16” tires get stupid expensive... bruhs get a boner over these dumb 18, 19, 20” factory wheel options only to throw their AXE body spray cans in anger as soon as they need replacement tires and see the prices....

First of all, if you are shopping Chinese-made off-brand tires you should have your head examined... if you are not familiar with the mfr name, move on

This fall I needed two sets of snows for my boys cars... i usually troll TireRack , Discount Tire Direct, and Tirebuyer.... selection seemed lame and prices were indeed excessive, even for lowly 15” tires... one of my VW owner forums had rave reviews about Californi-based Giga-tires... sure enough I found Toyo snows for dirt cheap ($65/tire + tax)... service was great, shipped to my home in a couple days w/o drama... was able to find a promo code for free shipping...

link below takes you there... i normally consider only Michelin/Continental/Toyo /Yokohama for my cars, but for an old accord i’d have trouble justifying $100+ tires ... giga tire has some decent options/quality brands in the $66-$80 range (Toyo, Kelly, Falken, Sumitomo)... i’ve got a local guy that mounts / balances for $15/corner... most retailers will hit you for $25-$30 per tire

don’t get hung up about 65,000mi ratings on tires for a car w/200k on the clock... most kids are only gonna put a few thousand miles a year unless she’s an Uber eats driver or a drug mule... you don‘t want her on 5+yr old tires anyway...chances are that Accord is not gonna be around in 5yrs anyway...

if she’s in an area that sees seasonal snowfalls > 60” I can’t recommend REAL winter tires strongly enough... i’ve droned on here over the years how winter tires on a FWD or RWD car is superior to AWD with all-season compounds... good luck

$900 ! They are full of shit...

kudos on getting your daughter a 190,000 mi Accord... good choice for a first ride... hopefully, you got her a 2.4L 4cyl with 16” tires .... once you move beyond 16” tires get stupid expensive... bruhs get a boner over these dumb 18, 19, 20” factory wheel options only to throw their AXE body spray cans in anger as soon as they need replacement tires and see the prices....

First of all, if you are shopping Chinese-made off-brand tires you should have your head examined... if you are not familiar with the mfr name, move on

This fall I needed two sets of snows for my boys cars... i usually troll TireRack , Discount Tire Direct, and Tirebuyer.... selection seemed lame and prices were indeed excessive, even for lowly 15” tires... one of my VW owner forums had rave reviews about Californi-based Giga-tires... sure enough I found Toyo snows for dirt cheap ($65/tire + tax)... service was great, shipped to my home in a couple days w/o drama... was able to find a promo code for free shipping...

link below takes you there... i normally consider only Michelin/Continental/Toyo /Yokohama for my cars, but for an old accord i’d have trouble justifying $100+ tires ... giga tire has some decent options/quality brands in the $66-$80 range (Toyo, Kelly, Falken, Sumitomo)... i’ve got a local guy that mounts / balances for $15/corner... most retailers will hit you for $25-$30 per tire

don’t get hung up about 65,000mi ratings on tires for a car w/200k on the clock... most kids are only gonna put a few thousand miles a year unless she’s an Uber eats driver or a drug mule... you don‘t want her on 5+yr old tires anyway...chances are that Accord is not gonna be around in 5yrs anyway...

if she’s in an area that sees seasonal snowfalls > 60” I can’t recommend REAL winter tires strongly enough... i’ve droned on here over the years how winter tires on a FWD or RWD car is superior to AWD with all-season compounds... good luck

Thanks a lot for your response. I checked out Westlake (Chinese tires) and they had gotten a good review.

Funny story about the 2009 Accord. I had a 2002 Accord that wouldn't die and my daughter was deathly afraid that she would inherit it. So, I worked out a deal with her that if she kept her grades good, I would get her a different car -- up to something like $7,000. She worked like a dog to avoid getting the 2002 Accord and got straight "A"s last year at a difficult school. (Forgot to change timing belt on 2002 and it died anyway) Ended up choosing a 2009 Accord.

If you’re daughter is going to drive that Honda Civic in snow and ice put snow tires on it. I know that car well in winter weather and it’s dangerous without snow tires.

FYI, the ChiComs own Pirelli tires now. Good tires but only if I can’t find another source will I buy a Communist Chinese owned product or product manufactured in China.

anyone read this ?

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zo...tay-in-orbit-according-to-space-force-general
It is a Honda Accord. She won't be driving it in a whole lot of snow and ice.

If you’re daughter is going to drive that Honda Civic in snow and ice put snow tires on it. I know that car well in winter weather and it’s dangerous without snow tires.

FYI, the ChiComs own Pirelli tires now. Good tires but only if I can’t find another source will I buy a Communist Chinese owned product or product manufactured in China.

anyone read this ?

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zo...tay-in-orbit-according-to-space-force-general
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA go gett’m cowboy!
( posting using his Chinese-made smartphone )

Michelin Defender tire is an excellent choice for that car and Tire Rack and Walmart have them for $125 each.

Reactions: 84Lion
We don't put anything besides Michelin. Usually get them a BJ's Warehouse Club where they come standard with road hazzard and lifetime rotation.

Reactions: 84Lion
I'm driving a police interceptor with Douglas tires. Unless your daughter is going to exceed that kind of driving, don't waste your money. Like most people do.

Bought Hercules road tour 655 tires. Installed they cost about $540. I think they're supposed to have tread wear of about 50,000 mi. Got reasonably good reviews. Pick them up tomorrow.

Thanks for all of the comments. They really helped.

Reactions: PAgeologist
Bought Hercules road tour 655 tires. Installed they cost about $540. I think they're supposed to have tread wear of about 50,000 mi. Got reasonably good reviews. Pick them up tomorrow.

Thanks for all of the comments. They really helped.
I've heard good things about Hercules tires. I always had pretty good luck with El Dorado tires on my trucks. No idea if they make a car tire though.

For a beginner driver, I would definitely get a good studded snow tire at least on the front or all 4 if AWD. Assuming of course she will be in a snowy area. Most FWD and AWD cars go well in the snow. Limited though by ground clearance.

So wait…are you saying a RWD car with snow tires performs better than an AWD vehicle with all-season tires because I have not found that to be true.
you must be new here .... MM has said this 67 times over the past dozen or so years

you must be new here .... MM has said this 67 times over the past dozen or so years

And it may be the one piece of automotive advice he gives that I don't necessarily agree with :) (it depends on which RWD platform and how wide the rears are)

So wait…are you saying a RWD car with snow tires performs better than an AWD vehicle with all-season tires because I have not found that to be true.

IDK but a RWD car is a hell of a lot more fun to drive in the winter than a FWD or AWD car. Doughnuts anyone one??

Continental ExtremeContact DWS06

I’ve run these for six plus years and recommended them to others. Great all seasons and handle very well on my Audi - could have a longer life if I didn’t drive for fun.

Continental ExtremeContact DWS06

I’ve run these for six plus years and recommended them to others. Great all seasons and handle very well on my Audi - could have a longer life if I didn’t drive for fun.

No they couldn't. You really shouldn't run tires more than 6 years past their production date, even if there is tread left and that's from date of manufacture not purchase. Put a rubber band in your garage and let it sit for 6 years, report back on the state of the rubber in year 2027. Franklin will have 4 years left on his contract and everyone here will be dying for something to talk about besides single score losses, how we haven't beaten OSU since 2016 and how McSorley is an awful OC.

No they couldn't. You really shouldn't run tires more than 6 years past their production date, even if there is tread left and that's from date of manufacture not purchase.
That actually happened to me on one of my old Hondas. Had old tires with decent tread and the tires just disintegrated.

That actually happened to me on one of my old Hondas. Had old tires with decent tread and the tires just disintegrated.

My dad bought an 01 boxster in 2011 or 2012. It only had 2000 miles, was on original tires, looked brand new. Had them replaced within a few days of purchase and the sidewall on one split while they were removing it from the rim. Think they were pirellis.

I just put kumho 75k mile tires on my civic for $320. Ordered them from Walmart they install them for free.

side note my 07 civic has over 440,000 miles on it. Round trip to work is 126 miles.

No they couldn't. You really shouldn't run tires more than 6 years past their production date, even if there is tread left and that's from date of manufacture not purchase. Put a rubber band in your garage and let it sit for 6 years, report back on the state of the rubber in year 2027. Franklin will have 4 years left on his contract and everyone here will be dying for something to talk about besides single score losses, how we haven't beaten OSU since 2016 and how McSorley is an awful OC.
Three sets so far, not one for six years. I get about 35,000 miles a set but I don’t drive gently.

Rotate, rotate, rotate about every7K! I do X, then F to B, then X again. My 4X4 Nissan Frontier crew has 50K on it and the tires (BF Good Trail - Terrain T/As) look like they can go another 50! My father was one of 13 Italian children living in anthracite country. A tire recap shop gave him work when he was a mere 12. The Japanese controlled Okinawa and Saipan where the rubber trees grew. The army became aware of my dads backround and pulled him off combat and he recapped. In six months he was a sarge major! After the war, he worked for his commanding officer selling tire supplies, however, my dad was so good at it, he was shorting my dad's agreed upon commissions, so with my mom as secratary they started their own business. Thus I grew up in the business!

Rotate, rotate, rotate about every7K! I do X, then F to B, then X again. My 4X4 Nissan Frontier crew has 50K on it and the tires (BF Good Trail - Terrain T/As) look like they can go another 50! My father was one of 13 Italian children living in anthracite country. A tire recap shop gave him work when he was a mere 12. The Japanese controlled Okinawa and Saipan where the rubber trees grew. The army became aware of my dads backround and pulled him off combat and he recapped. In six months he was a sarge major! After the war, he worked for his commanding officer selling tire supplies, however, my dad was so good at it, he was shorting my dad's agreed upon commissions, so with my mom as secratary they started their own business. Thus I grew up in the business!

rotation = good practice (duh!) , but can’t fight the the wrath of UV / time

just examined the OEM Hankook Kinergy GTs from my wife’s Sportwagen while mounting her winter set ... taken aback by the amount of cracking / checking in the tread-valleys & sipes... took delivery of this car, factory new, exactly three years ago yesterday ...

if you think shelling out extra $$$ for a tire with a long treadwear rating is a safe investment- think again

those who shop by warranty/mileage ratings might want to know that my 60,000 mi “warranty” is worthless as this set has only 27,000mi on them/ plenty of tread-depth left, but full replacement is only for claims within the first year or 2/32 if wear... not interested in some lame pro-rated offer on another set of shitty Hankooks... nope, gonna hafta throw these Hankooks into the river ...

eff you Hankook

Last edited:
Just looked at the Hankook Kinergy reviews on TireRack and consumers give them a HORRIBLE rating ... amazing considering that TireRack reviews are typically submitted by fanboys and are usually glowing

not cheap either at $115

Do have any knowledge of or experience with All-Season tires that have a Severe Snow Service Rating, I wonder if they would be a reasonable compromise to winter tires to avoid changing tires every winter. I see that there is a Kinergy 4S2 with that rating, that' not the same tire you had is it?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT