ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Picked first tomato of the year yesterday! (North of Pittsburgh)

The Spin Meister

Gold Member
Nov 27, 2012
An altered state
I have a palm tree in a large pot that I set out side last year. Apparently, one of my friendly birds deposited a tomato seed in it during the summer as a tomato plant started to grow next to the palm. I brought it back in in the fall and picked two tomatoes in Nov, one in Dec and then it quit producing. When the days started to get longer it bloomed and set some fruit. Picked one yesterday and have a couple more to go. Not as good as garden grown but better than restaurant tomatoes!

Reactions: Mr. Potter
I have a palm tree in a large pot that I set out side last year. Apparently, one of my friendly birds deposited a tomato seed in it during the summer as a tomato plant started to grow next to the palm. I brought it back in in the fall and picked two tomatoes in Nov, one in Dec and then it quit producing. When the days started to get longer it bloomed and set some fruit. Picked one yesterday and have a couple more to go. Not as good as garden grown but better than restaurant tomatoes!
One of our best ever tomato plants was a "volunteer"--probably from a seed someone spit into a side area where usually nothing grows. We had tomatoes from it (albeit small ones, as it was a cherry tomato plant) until almost Thanksgiving.

ADVERTISEMENT