ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Pancreatic cancer - Goodbye to my father

The rollercoaster continues. Today was my father's first 3 month follow-up. As he was waiting for his meeting with the oncologist, his CT scan results came in. Lower abdomen clear. He texted my mother the good news, she texted around to the family the same. Just a couple minutes later he called and told her she should sit down. The upper scan showed a couple spots on his lungs. There is also a spot where his pancreas and artery meet. This happens to be the most likely spot for recurrence.

At this point, the lung spots (largest is 6 mm) are too small to biopsy. The pancreas spot can't be biopsied because of the artery.

His CA19-9 (the PC tumor marker) remained normal at 35. I had long anticipated we would know if it was back by the CA19-9 rather than the imaging results because typically the marker precedes the image. So I was very confused by these results, how could his CA19-9 be normal if the image showed potential lesions? I did a little research, and a study I found showed that 60% of people experiencing a recurrence had it show up in the CA19-9 before it was visible on a CT (so I was right to expect that). Another 30% had the elevated CA19-9 and image of a lesion show up at the same time. That does leave 10% who have a lesion show up before the CA19-9 elevates, which could potentially be my father's case.

Now, it isn't a done deal yet. They just can't say for certain at this point. The oncologist believes this does mean it's returned and has metastasized, but they can't say for sure and can't biopsy yet. He will go back for another scan in early January. But the oncologist isn't suggesting chemo again yet since they don't know.

I'll try to hold out hope based on a few things: (1) maybe the spot by the artery is just scar tissues from the surgery, (2) maybe the lung spots are unrelated, and (3) the CA19-9 isn't elevated. I'm just grasping at straws at this point though. The reality is that it's likely it is already back and spread. But until there's no legitimate hope, I'm not going to give it up.

He told me he's taking it well, that the rollercoaster of the past 14 months has just kind of numbed him. I can say the same. I've yet to simply take a moment to accept this and weep as I know I will at some point. Maybe I'm just a couple beers away from that. But there's also the reality that I've already mourned his passing for a year. I've already gone through all the emotions and come to acceptance. It doesn't make what's to come any easier, but the trauma of this kind of news is long passed. I'll be forever thankful for the past three months where I had the chance to believe he might just be ok and life was normal again. And I've known too many people who lost loved ones, much younger, and much more suddenly, to not at least be somewhat grateful to have the time I've had with him, and the time we will have to say goodbye, if this is what they think. My mother's best friend had two daughters the same ages as my brother and I, so we were together a lot as young children. She got breast cancer and died around 40 when we were in 5th and 7th grades. My best friend from when I lived in NE PA died of a brain tumor when we were in 9th grade. One of our BWI colleagues lost a PSU student son to cancer this past year. I know and have seen how much worse it can be. My father is 69, and with any luck will still see 70. He got a full life. I got to be part of it for nearly 40 years so far, and I'm immeasurably blessed for that. So I don't want to pity myself. But I'm obviously still heartbroken to watch this happen to such an incredible man. And I have to fight bitterness with every fiber of my being.

Any prayers for what may come in January would be appreciated. We'll need them now more than ever.
🙏🙏🙏
Anything we can do, just ask.

My Dad passed just this summer. Bracing for our first holidays without him. Prayers and peace to Cincy and his family.
Player: Lost my mother-in-law to cancer this morning. She was 89 and we knew it was coming, but it is still a blow. Thanksgiving and Christmas were already gonna be different due to Covid-19, but a death like that makes the holidays more difficult. Hang in there, man.

Player: Lost my mother-in-law to cancer this morning. She was 89 and we knew it was coming, but it is still a blow. Thanksgiving and Christmas were already gonna be different due to Covid-19, but a death like that makes the holidays more difficult. Hang in there, man.
My sincere condolences LafayetteBear.

Reactions: whart and nits74
So Sorry, Lafayette.

My Dad passed just this summer. Bracing for our first holidays without him. Prayers and peace to Cincy and his family.

My condolences to both of you, I'm sorry to hear this. It never going to be easy, regardless of age.

The rollercoaster continues. Today was my father's first 3 month follow-up. As he was waiting for his meeting with the oncologist, his CT scan results came in. Lower abdomen clear. He texted my mother the good news, she texted around to the family the same. Just a couple minutes later he called and told her she should sit down. The upper scan showed a couple spots on his lungs. There is also a spot where his pancreas and artery meet. This happens to be the most likely spot for recurrence.

At this point, the lung spots (largest is 6 mm) are too small to biopsy. The pancreas spot can't be biopsied because of the artery.

His CA19-9 (the PC tumor marker) remained normal at 35. I had long anticipated we would know if it was back by the CA19-9 rather than the imaging results because typically the marker precedes the image. So I was very confused by these results, how could his CA19-9 be normal if the image showed potential lesions? I did a little research, and a study I found showed that 60% of people experiencing a recurrence had it show up in the CA19-9 before it was visible on a CT (so I was right to expect that). Another 30% had the elevated CA19-9 and image of a lesion show up at the same time. That does leave 10% who have a lesion show up before the CA19-9 elevates, which could potentially be my father's case.

Now, it isn't a done deal yet. They just can't say for certain at this point. The oncologist believes this does mean it's returned and has metastasized, but they can't say for sure and can't biopsy yet. He will go back for another scan in early January. But the oncologist isn't suggesting chemo again yet since they don't know.

I'll try to hold out hope based on a few things: (1) maybe the spot by the artery is just scar tissues from the surgery, (2) maybe the lung spots are unrelated, and (3) the CA19-9 isn't elevated. I'm just grasping at straws at this point though. The reality is that it's likely it is already back and spread. But until there's no legitimate hope, I'm not going to give it up.

He told me he's taking it well, that the rollercoaster of the past 14 months has just kind of numbed him. I can say the same. I've yet to simply take a moment to accept this and weep as I know I will at some point. Maybe I'm just a couple beers away from that. But there's also the reality that I've already mourned his passing for a year. I've already gone through all the emotions and come to acceptance. It doesn't make what's to come any easier, but the trauma of this kind of news is long passed. I'll be forever thankful for the past three months where I had the chance to believe he might just be ok and life was normal again. And I've known too many people who lost loved ones, much younger, and much more suddenly, to not at least be somewhat grateful to have the time I've had with him, and the time we will have to say goodbye, if this is what they think. My mother's best friend had two daughters the same ages as my brother and I, so we were together a lot as young children. She got breast cancer and died around 40 when we were in 5th and 7th grades. My best friend from when I lived in NE PA died of a brain tumor when we were in 9th grade. One of our BWI colleagues lost a PSU student son to cancer this past year. I know and have seen how much worse it can be. My father is 69, and with any luck will still see 70. He got a full life. I got to be part of it for nearly 40 years so far, and I'm immeasurably blessed for that. So I don't want to pity myself. But I'm obviously still heartbroken to watch this happen to such an incredible man. And I have to fight bitterness with every fiber of my being.

Any prayers for what may come in January would be appreciated. We'll need them now more than ever.
So sorry that some of the tests came out poorly. The pressure of waiting for test results must be truly suffocating. It seems like you and your father are managing your personal relationship through this awful time very well. Glad to see that one point going well. I very much hope that your father gets a break and future tests give you better news.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Peace be with you and your family. I see my dad in my own son, so I’m constantly reminded that brighter days are still ahead. Be well.

I wish I had better news. The follow-up blood work and CT scan confirmed that my father's cancer returned, both on the pancreas and lungs. He's been given a year to live.

I want to thank everyone again who took the time to read, respond, and offer your prayers to my father, my family, and me over the past 15 months. None of you know me and owe me nothing, but you were there for me throughout this nonetheless. I will always appreciate that.

I wish I had better news. The follow-up blood work and CT scan confirmed that my father's cancer returned, both on the pancreas and lungs. He's been given a year to live.

I want to thank everyone again who took the time to read, respond, and offer your prayers to my father, my family, and me over the past 15 months. None of you know me and owe me nothing, but you were there for me throughout this nonetheless. I will always appreciate that.
Sucks to hear that @wbcincy. I hope you all are able to spend some quality time with him (****ing Covid willing). Keep your chin up and all the best to you, your pops, and your family

Lost my mother to ovarian cancer in 1999 and my dad to prostate cancer in 2006. Although it was hard at times I do not regret one second of time spent with them during their battles. Love, laugh, cry and try to record any precious family information you can during your time together. Saying a prayer for your family.

wbcincy, my prayers go out for you, your dad and your family. Place your trust in God that he can help you all through this trying time.

Sad news cincy. My thoughts and prayers are with you, your Dad, and your family.

WBCINCY stay strong. I appreciate the update on your father and am saddened that it was not favorable. There are advancements coming and it sounds as if your dad is strong, continue to push to get the best resolution that you can....at the same time enjoy the time with your father you will remember this for many years.

I am dealing with my mid 50 year old wife having cancer that does not have a great prognosis......I am continuing to study, continuing to stay possitive and truly enjoying being with her. God bless you and your father.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Sorry, cincy. I’ve never come across a person that put such a great amount of effort and emotion into helping another through this. I hope you find some small comfort in knowing we all recognize that. Best wishes for your father finding many moments in the time he has.

Cincy, very sorry to hear this. I don't know what else to say other than that your dedication to your father and the time and effort you devoted to the fight was admirable to say the least. You will be in my thoughts and the very best to you and your family. Take care.

There are no words that I can type that will adequately convey my deepest sympathy for this latest news or my concurrent appreciation for you sharing with us your personal journey. It has been so educational.

God Bless you and your family.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I am dealing with my mid 50 year old wife having cancer that does not have a great prognosis......I am continuing to study, continuing to stay possitive and truly enjoying being with her.
Prayers are being sent for you and wife. It’s all I can offer. 🙏

May God Bless you and your wife

Last edited:
Cincy, very sorry to hear of this setback. It's always hard with a loved on involved. You only ever have one dad or mom. Stay strong for him, he needs you more than ever now. It will be difficult but your strength will be so important to him and his situation. You are and will be a comfort to him. God bless you both.

Very, very sorry to hear. You have been a great son, which I am sure that your mother and father appreciate more than you can possibly know.

I had my own scare with pancreatic cysts (turned out not to be cancerous or dangerous) and I know what a terrible enemy pancreatic cancer is.

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
Sorry to hear this cincy. From my experience, the best thing you can do is not remind him of his condition but continue to bring as much joy to him as you can in whatever time you can spend with him.
Soupy, good luck to your wife.

I’ve got nothing @wbcincy. Prayers and best wishes. You’ve been a great son and are doing all you can. The only advice I have is let him know how much you love and appreciate him. That love lives forever.

Sorry for the downer on a football Saturday, but I'm hoping somebody on here might have some experience with this. My father has been undergoing some testing, and yesterday found out that while the results of his pancreas biopsy were ok, he had CEA levels of 12.4 ng/ml.

A CT scan and endoscopic biopsy had recently determined that he has chronic pancreatitis, which can also cause elevated CEA levels. However, I've read that levels above 10 ng/ml are rarely indicative of benign disease.

He goes back in next week to have another, larger biopsy, and the bloodwork run again. Anyone have any experience with pancreatitis and elevated CEA levels?

Best wishes to your dad and God bless.
I know a guy who comes into my store that has been living for twelve years after being diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer. One of the 14 percent . He son got it also and is still living. They went to Allegheny General in Pittsburgh.

Reactions: PSUPride1
I am so sorry to hear. Your posts have been so powerful beyond sharing the details of the disease. They’ve shown your compassion, your love, and your family’s collective fight, persistence, and spirit. I’ve learned and recognized that you’ve been as good an advocate and son as any parent or family can envision. May you have strength during this time, may your dad be comfortable, and may your family be blessed.

Sorry for the downer on a football Saturday, but I'm hoping somebody on here might have some experience with this. My father has been undergoing some testing, and yesterday found out that while the results of his pancreas biopsy were ok, he had CEA levels of 12.4 ng/ml.

A CT scan and endoscopic biopsy had recently determined that he has chronic pancreatitis, which can also cause elevated CEA levels. However, I've read that levels above 10 ng/ml are rarely indicative of benign disease.

He goes back in next week to have another, larger biopsy, and the bloodwork run again. Anyone have any experience with pancreatitis and elevated CEA levels?
Prayers for your father

Reactions: TheGLOV

WB, I am really sorry that I missed your earlier posts re your father’s follow up results. You and your father have a relationship many of us envy or miss due to the loss of a loved one. Without trying to oversimplify, grief is like a relative who never knows when to leave. You fortunately balanced it with the maintenance of hope and you took cues from your father to assist him in maintaining his own attitude. Unfortunately he is in this new phase-I am certain you and those who love your father will do all you can to support him-hopefully you can also care for yourself in terms of the grief and receive whatever type of support with which you are comfortable. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers as well as your father and your family.
Please take good care of yourself!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT