ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Outlook email for Windows

bdgan

May 29, 2008
I have long used Outlook for email on my laptop. I use a Spectrum email account but their webmail server only stores a few hundred emails. Fortunately Outlook has saved my old emails in a post file.

I got a new laptop and would like to continue using Outlook. One reason is I like it, the other is that I assume I can copy my pst files from my old laptop.

The question is how to do this. I don't want lockdd into an annual Windows 365 subscription. I saw a MS Office one time purchase on Amazon for $100 but it doesn't include Outlook. I see a beta version of Outlook but it looks like it only works with hotmail.com type email accounts.

Any experts out there with an idea?

If you don't want to be locked into an annual Windows 365 subscription, there are other options to consider. You mentioned seeing a one-time purchase of MS Office on Amazon for $100, but it doesn't include Outlook. Another option you could explore is purchasing a standalone version of Outlook separately, which may give you the flexibility you're looking for without the subscription commitment.

As for the beta version of Outlook, it's worth checking if it supports importing pst files from your old laptop. It's possible that it may work with other email accounts besides hotmail.com.

By the way, speaking of options, when I was setting up my new laptop, I looked for a cheap windows 10 key to save some money on my operating system. It's always good to explore different avenues for cost-effective solutions!

Last edited:
If you don't want to be locked into an annual Windows 365 subscription, there are other options to consider. You mentioned seeing a one-time purchase of MS Office on Amazon for $100, but it doesn't include Outlook. Another option you could explore is purchasing a standalone version of Outlook separately, which may give you the flexibility you're looking for without the subscription commitment.
Pretty sure u will need to purchase some things beside outlook from Microsoft.Just for gps touch the windows key and s and type outlook in the search box And see if anything turns up

Pretty sure u will need to purchase some things beside outlook from Microsoft.Just for gps touch the windows key and s and type outlook in the search box And see if anything turns up
I agree. I have to assume that 360 is only available through MS so that means an annual license.

A plan B would be to move to Gmail, which is very similar and good.

Reactions: brupsu
I have on occasion .purchased office and some system software with success for some great prices on eBay.I have never had a problem of any kind and these have also had no yearly renewal so essentially lifetime

Reactions: 84Lion
I bought a single PC MS Office license that included Outlook for $200.

To do this, you can simply copy the PST files from your old laptop to your new one. The PST files store your email data, so copying them ensures you'll have access to your old emails. As for acquiring Outlook without a Windows 365 subscription, you can consider getting the standalone version of Microsoft Office, which usually includes Outlook. Although, it's easier to download the latest Windows key here. I hope that helps you!

Last edited:
I have on occasion .purchased office and some system software with success for some great prices on eBay.I have never had a problem of any kind and these have also had no yearly renewal so essentially lifetime
I have purchased oem versions of office for next to nothing and they activate. They are tied to one computer, but I keep my computers forever.

From Amazon, Microsoft Office Home & Business 2021 | Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook | One-time purchase for 1 PC or Mac | Instant Download by Microsoft

4.1 out of 5 stars 612

One-Time Download

$239.99

I have long used Outlook for email on my laptop. I use a Spectrum email account but their webmail server only stores a few hundred emails. Fortunately Outlook has saved my old emails in a post file.

I got a new laptop and would like to continue using Outlook. One reason is I like it, the other is that I assume I can copy my pst files from my old laptop.

The question is how to do this. I don't want lockdd into an annual Windows 365 subscription. I saw a MS Office one time purchase on Amazon for $100 but it doesn't include Outlook. I see a beta version of Outlook but it looks like it only works with hotmail.com type email accounts.

Any experts out there with an idea?
Here you go, Microsoft Office Pro 2021 for $29.99 for the lifetime license. I bought a copy for my Macbook back in November and it runs great. Haven't used Outlook, but Excel, Word, and Powerpoint all work just fine.

ADVERTISEMENT