ADVERTISEMENT

OT: On my father-in-law

LionJim

Oct 8, 2003
Levittown, PA to Olney, MD
My wife flew to her parents' in Illinois to spend a week with them. Nothing critical, it's just a matter of wanting to spend good time with them before they're gone. They took a road trip to Quincy, where he grew up; they visited his parents' and grandparents' graves, went by the Old Soldiers' Home, to the waterfront to look for eagles, went by the corner where the Recruiting Station was, where he and four of his best friends went on December 9, 1941; only two came back. They ate at a Maid Rite (loose meat sandwiches like you'd see at The Lanford Lunch Box on Roseanne). Jane tells me he talked and talked all day, so happy to be in his old home town with his wife and daughter. When I think of the dignity and passion with which this good man has lived, and continues to live, his life, I am deeply, deeply moved, and am so thankful for his influence on my own life. Just wanted to share; I'm sure you have your own stories of the good people who have helped you along.

This post was edited on 3/14 3:06 PM by LionJim

Reactions: 87Psudcoordinator
LJ - That's A Week Everybody In Your Family Will Never Forget!

And your family will always treasure!

I was in Austin last weekend, the first time I could visit there in almost six months because of my shoulders. Got to spend time with my 87 year old mother who's slowly showing signs of her age as well as my 62 year old younger brother. His wife was in the USVI so we got to spend some "brother" time together. Cleaned out my Dad's stuff from his death a year ago.....finding both parent's birth certificates, baptismal certificates, marriage certificate, military records, pictures of him as a college student at PSU, etc. Also donated clothes to Goodwill. Also got to see two of my three nieces and nephews.

There are no guarantees as we continue on life's ever-faster treadmill.....family time is the ultimate treasure that trumps virtually everything else..

Reactions: 87Psudcoordinator
Great to read that...

Just lost my F-I-L in December. What a character, and a guy who would always seek to do something for somebody else first. Time we have is short, it's true. Keep memory and legacy close and it helps, as you clearly appreciate.

It made me feel good reading that Jim. I give your wife credit for taking

the time. Sadly, I've talked to older parents who have been basically ignored by their adult children and it breaks their heart. Yours is a feel good story.

Thanks, Jim, for the perspective that we all so desperately need.

I'm not that old (not even 60), but my father and grandparents and father-in-law are all long gone, and many times I wish I had poked their brains and asked questions about their life experiences, more than I did. All they experienced about the Depression, and WWII, are all long gone, and I wish I'd learned more about their lives during those years. Hopefully some here will read your posts and make sure they learn about their parents' pasts while they still can, if they haven't already.

sharing was a good call (again)... thanks!

uplifting stories are a very nice alternative to what we typically get.. thank you!

Very nice. Sounds like the whole family is smelling the roses.*

*(

Thank you for the beautiful post. There is so much negativity on this board it was a joy to read about a man who has lived his life well and spread joy.

Nice post Jim. I'm heading home to visit my 89 y/o dad next week. I will

take him anywhere he would like to go and see for maybe the last time. He is housebound as he is legally blind but still lives alone. I make it home every summer with the family but also try to get home by myself once a year. I moved away in 1982.

Re: Nice post Jim. I'm heading home to visit my 89 y/o dad next week. I will

LionJim: Thanks for starting threads like this one. It is a really nice feature of the BWI Board. Nothing like it on the Cal Boards, which I regard as a shame.

I lost my father on Thursday night, and was on my computer composing an obituary for him when I decided to check in on BWI and found your thread. I found it both cathartic and comforting. There are many generous and empathetic people on this Board..

LB: My Thoughts & Prayers Are With You & Your Family!

I'm still struggling with my Dad's death from just a little over a year ago and just visited my 87 year-old Mom in Austin last weekend. Time's marching on faster and faster.....no one ever explained this challenging part of life to me when I was a kid.

Dude, I'm sorry. Cherish your memories.

Originally posted by LafayetteBear:
LionJim: Thanks for starting threads like this one. It is a really nice feature of the BWI Board. Nothing like it on the Cal Boards, which I regard as a shame.

I lost my father on Thursday night, and was on my computer composing an obituary for him when I decided to check in on BWI and found your thread. I found it both cathartic and comforting. There are many generous and empathetic people on this Board..
You'll find that he's never going to leave you. For my own part, that discovery was very comforting for me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT