ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Old PSU grads

kijanacat

Nov 21, 2015
Does anyone remember the name of a history professor who taught Russian History in 1971 at Main Campus. I took an excellent course from him on Communism that covered Russia, WW1, Russian Revolution and WW2. Studied in the Kremlin. Best class I took at University Park in my 4 years there.

Does anyone remember the name of a history professor who taught Russian History in 1971 at Main Campus. I took an excellent course from him on Communism that covered Russia, WW1, Russian Revolution and WW2. Studied in the Kremlin. Best class I took at University Park in my 4 years there.

He was Polish, I believe. If so, I had him for a class. I had Paris Chang for a graduate class on the Chinese Revolution. He was one incredible professor. His daughter was a Playboy model. Paris was once recruited by Mao .... his understanding of the landlord culture before the revolution was remarkable. I had great professors at Penn State..... I was quite fortunate.

I would like to know the name of the American Lit professor I had in 1974. We read The Sound and the Fury, The Sun Also Rises, Dos Passos' The 42nd Parallel (a great revelation), Long Day's Journey Into Night. That kind of stuff stays with you.

I still have the 1969-70 course catalogue (don't ask me why). The undergraduate classes don't list a professor, but there was a 400-level course on the History of the Soviet Union taught by George Enteen.

The History of Russian and European Communism undergrad course was History 142.

Reactions: vops
In 1973 I took European Political Systems. The prof's name was Trond Gilberg, I believe. I mention it in relation to Russia because he had a large red hammer and cycle flag in his office.

George Enteen may be correct. It appears as if that is the closest I will get. Thank you much. He imparted a great deal of information and insight without the political indoctrination that was so typical of the era.

He was he second person who I heard say that the Wehrmacht was hailed as liberators by the people of Eastern Europe, until they turned on the people and alienated them. (First I heard it from Italian war veterans where I grew up in North Italy but I dismissed it)

While on the subject of Penn State professors, I will mention the name of Warren Hassler who taught American history, focusing on the Civil War. I was fortunate to take 2 of his courses and they rekindled my interest in the Civil War. He wrote a number of books, including the superb Commanders Of The Army Of The Potomac. Professor Hassler was kind enough to write a recommendation for me when I applied to law school and I have no doubt it helped me gain acceptance. He passed away about 5 years ago. May he rest in peace.

Reactions: LionJim
In 1965, I had Dr Wright for a grad level genetics class. The average score on the mid term was 23. Of 110 students, all but a few of us were grad students. Not one question was from his lectures or the text. All were on papers in the library he had assigned to read. You just could not get them due to a few hoarding them. Joe Eramus told me this was an easy A. I got a low 20s on the mid term and a D. Very few students got higher than a D. For grad students, this course screwed them.

In 1965, I had Dr Wright for a grad level genetics class. The average score on the mid term was 23. Of 110 students, but a few of us were grad students. Not one question were from his lectures or the text. All were on papers in the library he had assigned to read. You just could not get them due to a few hoarding them. Joe Eramus tolda me this was an easy A. I got a low 20s on the mid term and a D. Very few students got higher than a D. For grad students, this course screwed them.

Still waiting for your evidence against Jerry Van Dyke, Mary. Here I thought you were against people being persecuted without evidence. Guess not!!

One more name to throw out there - Professor Vernon Asputurian. Best prof I had at PSU, taught classes on the Soviet Union. He was from the Soviet Union but spoke perfect English. A man ahead of his time who, in the late 70's, early 80's, at the height of their status as a super power, predicted the USSR would collapse regardless of the power of their military. He was also a very funny and entertaining guy.

One more name to throw out there - Professor Vernon Asputurian. Best prof I had at PSU, taught classes on the Soviet Union. He was from the Soviet Union but spoke perfect English. A man ahead of his time who, in the late 70's, early 80's, at the height of their status as a super power, predicted the USSR would collapse regardless of the power of their military. He was also a very funny and entertaining guy.
I majored in Political Science and remember him well. It was good of you to mention him.

Reactions: Pocono Lion
I was familiar with Asputarian. Good man. As far as his prediction on the fall of the USSR, a Russian intellectual had published a book in 1979 on the coming collapse of the USSR.

He was Polish, I believe. If so, I had him for a class. I had Paris Chang for a graduate class on the Chinese Revolution. He was one incredible professor. His daughter was a Playboy model. Paris was once recruited by Mao .... his understanding of the landlord culture before the revolution was remarkable. I had great professors at Penn State..... I was quite fortunate.

alberto-riveron.jpg

His daughter was a Playboy model?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT