ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Oil change

bdgan

May 29, 2008
I went to Valvoline instant oil change today. A Synthetic oil change is up to $110!

Worse, they put a sticker in my window that said I'll need another in 3 months or 3,000 miles. Synthetic oil should last 10,000 miles.

I went to Valvoline instant oil change today. A Synthetic oil change is up to $110!

Worse, they put a sticker in my window that said I'll need another in 3 months or 3,000 miles. Synthetic oil should last 10,000 miles.

There's always some coupon for $15 off somewhere. But yes, it's expensive.

The worst part is the upsells.

Worse, they put a sticker in my window that said I'll need another in 3 months or 3,000 miles. Synthetic oil should last 10,000

The come back in 3k miles is ridiculous. They are definitely trying to catch those gullible folks unfortunately.

About 10 years ago, my wife's car needed an oil change and our normal shop couldn't squeeze it in before we went on vacation, so I volunteered to take it to a jiffy lube for her. I could not believe the crap they tried to upsell; but, the worst crime (at least at that time) was that the oil change did not include a new filter. Worst [art was that I didn't know until the job was done. The one and only time I will take a car to one of those places.

I get dealer service for the most part. It may cost more, but I have had some bad luck with other service centers over the years.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
That’s why I’ve been doing my own oil and transmission fluid changes for the last 5 years. I can get synthetic oil and a filter that could get up to 20k miles for a total of $35 from Amazon.
I didn't check Amazon, but I did check a bunch of retail stores. I couldn't buy the oil and filter for my truck for what my local shop charged me to change it. And he used the manufacturer recommended oil. Synthetic with Dextol, or something like that. Plus he rotates my tires for free.

Reactions: jjw165

Does your vehicle have an oil life monitor? I just go by when my truck tells me to get it changed.

Reactions: Agoodnap
Does your vehicle have an oil life monitor? I just go by when my truck tells me to get it changed.
Yes. It needed an oil change. I went to Valvoline because I had a $25 coupon but it was still $92 with tax. That was expensive IMO but the 3 month thing was just wrong.

Reactions: PAgeologist
I didn't check Amazon, but I did check a bunch of retail stores. I couldn't buy the oil and filter for my truck for what my local shop charged me to change it. And he used the manufacturer recommended oil. Synthetic with Dextol, or something like that. Plus he rotates my tires for free.
Nice

Do it yourself or go to a better shop. Wouldn’t trust a quick lube place to top off windshield washer fluid personally.

I just dont' see gas pricing coming down. Biden can go over to Saudi and beg OPEC to pump more but OPEC is making huge money and is not going to do much to change that. And we can beg the dictator Maduro in Venezuela to pump more but they are so inept and so beholden to China that is not going to work much either. Only way to get oil price down is a world recession (greatly lower the demand) or the USA has to open the spickets and drill/pump.

• I just dont' see gas pricing coming down. Biden can go over to Saudi and beg OPEC to pump more but OPEC is making huge money and is not going to do much to change that. And we can beg the dictator Maduro in Venezuela to pump more but they are so inept and so beholden to China that is not going to work much either. Only way to get oil price down is a world recession (greatly lower the demand) or the USA has to open the spickets and drill/pump.
Increasing domestic production will take a lot of arm twisting.

• Regulations make new drilling and refining difficult and costly and Biden is unlikely to roll them back.
  • Oil demand is high right now but it could decline as we transition to EVs. New investment takes time to go online and future demand is uncertain. Will New investment pay back soon enough?

Increasing domestic production will take a lot of arm twisting.

• Regulations make new drilling and refining difficult and costly and Biden is unlikely to roll them back.
  • Oil demand is high right now but it could decline as we transition to EVs. New investment takes time to go online and future demand is uncertain. Will New investment pay back soon enough?
Biden has already said that he won't open things up, that is why the price of oil is $120 per barrel.

I think EV's are great. Do you know how long it is going to take the world to transition to mostly EV vehicles....about 25-30 years. And it is Oil and Gas drilling. We still need huge amount of gas to make all the power for the EV's as never, ever, ever going to get their with wind and solar (and we should be talking nuclear as the gap energy supplier for the next 50 years but we never hear that). And oil is not just used for gasoline, oil is the forerunner for plastics and many other chemicals so there is no world where we don't need oil and gas for the next 50+ years.

Last edited:
Biden has already said that he won't open things up, that is why the price of oil is $120 per barrel.

I think EV's are great. Do you know how long it is going to take the world to transition to mostly EV vehicles....about 25-30 years. And it is Oil and Gas drilling. We still need huge amount of gas to make all the power for the EV's as never, ever, ever going to get their with wind and solar (and we should be talking nuclear as the gap energy supplier for the next 50 years but we never hear that). And oil is not just used for gasoline, oil is the forerunner for plastics and many other chemicals so there is no world where we don't need oil and gas for the next 50+ years.
I agree with everything you said except that gas and oil aren't an all or nothing thing. Demand is strong now but it could come down gradually as more EVs are adopted. Let's assume that half of all new vehicles sold in 5 years will be EVs. That means 30%-40% of all cars on the road could be EVs a decade from now. That means less demand for oil. Not going away by any means but certainly less.

One more thing. Democrats have been pushing for a methane tax on fossil fuel producers. I think it would apply to any year over year increases in emissions. That discourages investors from expanding capacity.

The payback for a new deep water oil rig is at least 5 years and for a refinery it's even longer. Oil and gas companies are looking at future demand (not current demand) when making investment decisions.

Reactions: LionDeNittany
I agree with everything you said except that gas and oil aren't an all or nothing thing. Demand is strong now but it could come down gradually as more EVs are adopted. Let's assume that half of all new vehicles sold in 5 years will be EVs. That means 30%-40% of all cars on the road could be EVs a decade from now. That means less demand for oil. Not going away by any means but certainly less.

One more thing. Democrats have been pushing for a methane tax on fossil fuel producers. I think it would apply to any year over year increases in emissions. That discourages investors from expanding capacity.

The payback for a new deep water oil rig is at least 5 years and for a refinery it's even longer. Oil and gas companies are looking at future demand (not current demand) when making investment decisions.
O&G companies are not drilling, exploring in the USA because the current admin has basically said we are targeting you. So agree that is about regulatory issues and an uncertain future. There will be plenty enough demand for O&G over the next 50 years to justify a ton of drilling.

And do some research on the current EV batteries. One, they are not super envirnomentally friendly as mining for lithium is a dirty job. Two, there is not enough lithium in circulation right now to have 50% of the cars by EV in 3-5 years. And big huge lithium mining projects take years and years to actually commerciall produce.

Agreed. 50+ years may be a pipe dream minimum. I would guess as long as humans would rather not go back to the Stone Age, there will be a need for oil production (at least with mechanization and current consumption habits).

Reactions: bison13
I'm actually surprised that the oil change shops haven't gotten publicly slammed for trying to con people into coming back at 3K, when you can easily get 7-10K with synthetics. Not only is this fraud, it's environmentally unconscionable.

50% of new vehicles sold in 5 years? That's a very pie in the sky assumption and not very likely IMO. There are significant barriers to ramping up to that production capacity to include the battery production and improvements.

Democrats have essentially exacerbated record inflation and impending recession sending tens of millions of Americans into poverty and food security by forcing the transition to EV at a much lesser pace than you are assuming for 5 years out. If we did what you suggest in terms of pace of ev transition, then we are going to have much bigger problems as a nation than the nebulous "climate change" formerly known as global warming, formerly known as global cooling. And I never know which end of world predictions people are buying anyway. Do you know which one they are currently backing? I've lost track.

I gotta say, without more info I'd guess they misprinted or gave you the wrong reminder before I'd believe he purposely set your next basic service at 3k. There's not exactly a ton of profit to be had from an oil change. Not sure why you'd bog down a shop or techs with bad paying, unnecessary service. Unless you're just stupid, which is always possible.

I gotta say, without more info I'd guess they misprinted or gave you the wrong reminder before I'd believe he purposely set your next basic service at 3k. There's not exactly a ton of profit to be had from an oil change. Not sure why you'd bog down a shop or techs with bad paying, unnecessary service. Unless your just stupid, which is always possible.
No, it's intentional. I just had an oil change at Valvoline (not my preferred shop, but was in a hurry and late with oil change). They set the return sticker at 3K. I asked the guy about it and he said it's their policy...but he could write it up for 5K (still too short). I suspect other quick-change shops do the same.

No, it's intentional. I just had an oil change at Valvoline (not my preferred shop, but was in a hurry and late with oil change). They set the return sticker at 3K. I asked the guy about it and he said it's their policy...but he could write it up for 5K (still too short). I suspect other quick-change shops do the same.
Going by my oil life gauge, I got around 8k before my first oil change in my new Silverado. I'm on track for that again.

I don't know exactly how those gauges work. Do they just go by mileage or are there sensors that track viscosity and cleanliness? Either way if it's good enough for Chevy, I'll go with it.

That's mind blowing to me. I realize most people are too lazy to RTFM but that's quite possibly one of the dumber policies I've heard. Not going to go over well with car educated people and those that don't know will end up finding out later and feeling duped. I'm sure it reduces repeat business, I'm also sure it reduces their liability though.

I gotta say, without more info I'd guess they misprinted or gave you the wrong reminder before I'd believe he purposely set your next basic service at 3k. There's not exactly a ton of profit to be had from an oil change. Not sure why you'd bog down a shop or techs with bad paying, unnecessary service. Unless you're just stupid, which is always possible.
i think most people that put the 3K are oil change shops so thatis mostly what they do. i go to a private owned mechanic down the street for my service and he does oil also and doens't put stickers on for probably the reason you stated. but if you are jilly lube and oil change is 90% of the business it makes complete sense.

Reactions: LionDeNittany
It’s about the upsale. Once they get you get in they try to upsale you on the real profit generators.

Reactions: bdgan

Problem is that we don't have the electric grid capacity to provide sufficient power under current conditions. Add charging for all these cars and we need more carbon burning plants. We aren't solving this without burning something. No way we're going nuclear. No way wind is the answer. Should burn natural gas as it is much cleaner but it's not a favorite either. Of course, China and India will keep burning coal and oil no matter what because it's cheaper and they don't really care. They won't kill their economies for the good of the globe. As long as 3 billion people are going to continue to increase fossil fuel burning, there's little that 300 million can do to change the overall effect on the globe.

Glad this thread was started as it reminded me to change the oil in two of my vehicles. We haven't been driving much since covid and work at home started but I don't like to let oil sit in a vehicle for more then two years and we're coming up to that point in July so time to change. I went out over lunch and bought two 5-quart containers of Mobil 1 extended performance, 20K mile oil for $26.47 each and two Fram Ultra-Synthetic 20K mile filters for $8.97 each. So, each car will cost $35.44 for a fresh oil change. Not bad.

Problem is that we don't have the electric grid capacity to provide sufficient power under current conditions. Add charging for all these cars and we need more carbon burning plants. We aren't solving this without burning something. No way we're going nuclear. No way wind is the answer. Should burn natural gas as it is much cleaner but it's not a favorite either. Of course, China and India will keep burning coal and oil no matter what because it's cheaper and they don't really care. They won't kill their economies for the good of the globe. As long as 3 billion people are going to continue to increase fossil fuel burning, there's little that 300 million can do to change the overall effect on the globe.
that and to charge your car at your house is pretty simple. But what about the tens of millions of people that live in apartments and condo's and in cities, etc...that cannot plug their car into an outlet in the garage. so major issues going to happen figuring out how to charge cars for people that don't have a garage at home to simply plug their car in.

Yes. It needed an oil change. I went to Valvoline because I had a $25 coupon but it was still $92 with tax. That was expensive IMO but the 3 month thing was just wrong.
Not sure where you live, but here in Maryland, I can go to Mr. Tire and get a synthetic oil change for $84.99 and they use Vavoline Synthetic or I go to Heritage Toyota where I bought my car and they do it for $60.

50% of new vehicles sold in 5 years? That's a very pie in the sky assumption and not very likely IMO. .
Cadillac, Lexus, Mercedes, and Volvo have pledged to be 100% electric by 2030. Chevrolet, Buick, and GMC and others have pledged to be all electric by 2035. The wheels are already in motion. It could be 6 or 7 years instead of 5 years but it's happening.

Not sure where you live, but here in Maryland, I can go to Mr. Tire and get a synthetic oil change for $84.99 and they use Vavoline Synthetic or I go to Heritage Toyota where I bought my car and they do it for $60.
Valvoline charged $110 for 6 quarts and it was $85 after a $25 coupon. $92 with tax.

Cadillac, Lexus, Mercedes, and Volvo have pledged to be 100% electric by 2030. Chevrolet, Buick, and GMC and others have pledged to be all electric by 2035. The wheels are already in motion. It could be 6 or 7 years instead of 5 years but it's happening.
note you used the word PLEDGE. i again go back to reality and science and mathematics, not politics. Somebody has to show me where all the lithium (and other rare earth minerals) are coming from to make all these batteries for electric cars. Then the fact you go on a car lot now and they have no cars. Doing some quick readings and inventories are at 20-25% of pre-covid levels. So automakers are having issues even making cars right now due to the chip shortage. so again, another huge issue that is not being taken into account with these PLEDGES.

Second as I noted, the infrastructure for charging of all these cars is nowhere near large enough at this point. less than 1% of cars in the USA are currently electric. the cost and logistics of the amount of charging stations that need to be installed to support an all electric fleet will run in the trillions of dollars and again you can see now with the supply chain issues out there how hard it is to get things done. and just how some of this will even be accomplished seems nearly impossible to figure out. how do you put thousands of charging stations in large apartment and condo and townhouse parking lots, how do you charge cars in a city environments. the current gas station infrastructure will need to be converted over to fast charging stations with many more chargers than current gas pumps as to fill your tank takes maybe 3-5 minutes instead of a 20 minute charge so need alot more charging stations.

Glad this thread was started as it reminded me to change the oil in two of my vehicles. We haven't been driving much since covid and work at home started but I don't like to let oil sit in a vehicle for more then two years and we're coming up to that point in July so time to change. I went out over lunch and bought two 5-quart containers of Mobil 1 extended performance, 20K mile oil for $26.47 each and two Fram Ultra-Synthetic 20K mile filters for $8.97 each. So, each car will cost $35.44 for a fresh oil change. Not bad.
If you are not driving too much consider the age of your battery. A week before my spring trip to the pa wilds, I had my oil changed at Valvoline (more on that later). The morning I was leaving I was ready to go and dead battery. Put my charger on it and was on my way sitting on pins and needles for 1200 miles. Stopped in state college and had a new battery installed at a shop I used to have service done. Back to the Valvoline oil. Once when having my synthetic changed the employee pointed out that the stickers could only printed for 3000 miles but with synthetic the mileage between changes is dictated by the manufacturer. People need to know there vehicle maintenance schedules. Another story about maintenance schedule and repairs another time.

note you used the word PLEDGE. i again go back to reality and science and mathematics, not politics. Somebody has to show me where all the lithium (and other rare earth minerals) are coming from to make all these batteries for electric cars. Then the fact you go on a car lot now and they have no cars. Doing some quick readings and inventories are at 20-25% of pre-covid levels. So automakers are having issues even making cars right now due to the chip shortage. so again, another huge issue that is not being taken into account with these PLEDGES.

Second as I noted, the infrastructure for charging of all these cars is nowhere near large enough at this point. less than 1% of cars in the USA are currently electric. the cost and logistics of the amount of charging stations that need to be installed to support an all electric fleet will run in the trillions of dollars and again you can see now with the supply chain issues out there how hard it is to get things done. and just how some of this will even be accomplished seems nearly impossible to figure out. how do you put thousands of charging stations in large apartment and condo and townhouse parking lots, how do you charge cars in a city environments. the current gas station infrastructure will need to be converted over to fast charging stations with many more chargers than current gas pumps as to fill your tank takes maybe 3-5 minutes instead of a 20 minute charge so need alot more charging stations.
1) People will charge EVs at their homes. Why would they pay at a charging station unless they are traveling long distance?

2) Manufacturers might not meet their EV targets for the reasons you mentioned but it's not like they have a new ICE car to slot in it's place. They're committed.

1) People will charge EVs at their homes. Why would they pay at a charging station unless they are traveling long distance?

Lots of people don't have garages and street park their cars. Buddy of mine has a tesla and doesn't have a dedicated space at his apartment (street parks). Only reason it works for him is he can charge at work. Not everyone is in the burbs with a house and a private multicar garage.

Lots of people don't have garages and street park their cars. Buddy of mine has a tesla and doesn't have a dedicated space at his apartment (street parks). Only reason it works for him is he can charge at work. Not everyone is in the burbs with a house and a private multicar garage.
Agree but those people will take mass transit or won't own EVs for a while.

Our vacation condo has charging stations. Chargepoint installed them for free. They'll make their money when people pay to charge.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT