ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Northern VA/DC commute questions

Nashville Lion

Sep 25, 2005
Sorry for bugging the board about this topic again. for folks with knowledge about this area...
how do you think the commute would be to around the Constitution Ave area in DC from the following places....Burke? Annandale? Fairfax? Fairfax Station?
I really appreciate any feedback. Thanks in advance.

Sorry for bugging the board about this topic again. for folks with knowledge about this area...
how do you think the commute would be to around the Constitution Ave area in DC from the following places....Burke? Annandale? Fairfax? Fairfax Station?

I’ll have more for you later but believe you can take the VRE from Burke.

It looks like VRE would be about 38 mins to L'Enfant stop but then it is another 2 miles to the location....hmmm. 2miles would not bother me but that kind of walk in rain or snow would stink.

It looks like VRE would be about 38 mins to L'Enfant stop but then it is another 2 miles to the location....hmmm. 2miles would not bother me but that kind of walk in rain or snow would stink.

You can take the Metro from L'Enfant to wherever you need to go. It connects to every other line in DC (the only stop that does as far as I know). Where on Constitution do you have to go?

Unless you live very close to a Metro station and work is also very close to a Metro station commuting into and out of DC during the middle of rush hour is a NIGHTMARE. Don't do it unless the money is off the charts great.

2 miles in Northern Va could easily be 30 minutes or more in traffic. It can get really frustrating down here. The VRE is not as flexible as the Metro in terms of constant trains. It's only a set schedule. If you miss your train, because of traffic you'd have to wait for the next one which could come 40 minutes or if at all.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
I live in Springfield. There is no good way into and out of the city during rush hour. VRE or Metro are your best answers during rush hour.

However, if it's the kind of job where they pay or subsidize your parking and you need your car to get to meetings throughout the day, then you either have to leave (and hopefully return) early-early, or else pick up slugs and use the HOV lanes. By early-early I mean 6:00am at the latest, which means you can hopefully leave by about 3:30pm.

As an example, if I leave Springfield at 8:00am and head up I-395 to the District, I cannot expect to arrive before 10:00am. And maybe add another 15-30 minutes to find parking.

thanks for the advice...our family decision has been made. We are moving...now we are just trying to figure out the best place to live. I am definitely taking VRE or slugging it...my wife wants to drive...so it is what it is I guess.
Let me clarify it...my wife's job will require her to have car to travel to meetings and stuff so I understand part of her dilemma.

thanks for the advice...our family decision has been made. We are moving...now we are just trying to figure out the best place to live. I am definitely taking VRE or slugging it...my wife wants to drive...so it is what it is I guess.
Let me clarify it...my wife's job will require her to have car to travel to meetings and stuff so I understand part of her dilemma.

I lived in DC six years. I don't miss the traffic at all! Metro is great, but as stated by others, you have to work and/or live close to one. Good luck! At least there is lots to do and lots of great restaurants!

I lived in DC six years. I don't miss the traffic at all! Metro is great, but as stated by others, you have to work and/or live close to one. Good luck! At least there is lots to do and lots of great restaurants!
Thanks....we are excited....we realize traffic is going to suck but the wheels are in motion.

Reactions: CJLion
Many people do it everyday. But...from those places you can be an hour on average pretty easily

Like getting ferried across the River Styx to Hades, but worse

Many people do it everyday. But...from those places you can be an hour on average pretty easily
An hour is what we are looking for....that to us is not bad. The commute from the nicest places around Middle TN is easily an hour or more everyday...places you would want to live...Franklin, TN one example or Hendersonville. Even Brentwood, TN which is 18 miles away can easily be 50 mins during rush hour.

The way I see it....there really is nowhere really close to DC where you can get a nice single family home unless you are willing to shell out $900,000 or more. I have two friends from college who live in Arlington and there homes were around $950,000 for 1800 sq ft. I personally would rather ride the train for an hour and have a nicer home.

Reactions: CJLion
At L'Enfant plaza you can take the metro to Federal Triangle (7 minutes). From there, it's a half block walk to Constitution Ave. and 12th street. And from the Vienna Fairfax metro station it takes 34 minutes to get to Federal Triangle.

Last edited:
At L'Enfant plaza you can take the metro to Federal Triangle (7 minutes). From there, it's a half block walk to Constitution Ave. and 12th street. And from the Vienna Fairfax metro station it takes 34 minutes to get to Federal Triangle.
Now this is very helpful. Thank you sir!! I will check that out...orange line, right?

Now this is very helpful. Thank you sir!! I will check that out...orange line, right?

I responded similarly and didn't get a 'thank you'....

giphy.gif

Reactions: Nashville Lion
From Burke and fairfax it's fairly easy getting to Vienna. I rode the orange line from there to l'enfant for 20 years and though there are some hiccups from time to time, metro is much better than it gets credit for. It also gives you a chance to read the paper and generally relax before the work day starts. I think you'll enjoy everything the area has to offer!

I live in Springfield and pick up slugs just about every day. There's a slug line 1/4 mile from the entrance to the hov lanes. This is a much faster option than metro. I'll pick up riders at 7:30 a.m. and can be downtown by 8:15. The last two miles take the longest time. The non-hov lanes are a parking lot.

You're very welcome. Orange line from Vienna Fairfax but from L'Enfant Plaza, it's the Orange, Silver, or Blue lines, all on the same track, which cuts down the wait time.

The way I see it....there really is nowhere really close to DC where you can get a nice single family home unless you are willing to shell out $900,000 or more. I have two friends from college who live in Arlington and there homes were around $950,000 for 1800 sq ft. I personally would rather ride the train for an hour and have a nicer home.

Not true. I live reasonably close to DC and did not pay $900K. Arlington is very expensive but there are areas such as Alexandria (south Fairfax County) where there are options. I would rather gouge my eyes out than live out in the sticks in a cookie cutter housing development and drive an hour to get to a decent restaurant.

Have been in Nova for 19 yrs since graduation. My personal guiding principle is that I will always live off the Dulles toll Rd, vs I-66. The traffic is an order of magnitude less and from Reston (and places west starting in 2020) you have the metro that will go straight to Constitution/Natl Mall area.
My advice, whatever you decide...rent for a year while you figure things out.

Not true. I live reasonably close to DC and did not pay $900K. Arlington is very expensive but there are areas such as Alexandria (south Fairfax County) where there are options. I would rather gouge my eyes out than live out in the sticks in a cookie cutter housing development and drive an hour to get to a decent restaurant.

I would rather gouge my eyes out than live in Alexandria. To each their own.

I live in Springfield and agree that nice housing closer to the Beltway or just beyond is much cheaper than Arlington. Springfield is one example that also has easy access to a Metro station and slug lots. Also, West Springfield/Burke are near two REA stops. I'm retired, but I occasionally have firsthand exposure to a.m./p.m. traffic. I would never drive into the city without access to Express lanes by carpooling or slugging.

I live in Springfield and pick up slugs just about every day. There's a slug line 1/4 mile from the entrance to the hov lanes. This is a much faster option than metro. I'll pick up riders at 7:30 a.m. and can be downtown by 8:15. The last two miles take the longest time. The non-hov lanes are a parking lot.
Pardon me...what's a slug, other the garden variety?

That is indeed the trade off. In my case I need the flexibility of departures, and I like being able to walk a fair number of places. Sometimes I do wish for a better yard.
Train is better than car. I live near ft Myer and take the bus myself most of the time, but in a pinch I have subway or Uber.

Btw, if you are in Annandale, don’t sleep on consider bike commuting if that’s something you’d consider and your employer has facilities. Not sure I’d do it from Burke/ffx/ffxstn but Annandale may be feasible and not too far from decent paths.

Although I live in Springfield, I have friends throughout the area that have dealt with the congestion in different ways.

More than one lives in the Fredericksburg area, where you can get a really nice home for $400K or less, and then VRE into L'Enfant Plaza.

If you're looking for an affordable home closer in, then Springfield-Burke-Lorton-Kingstowne offer plenty of options, from $200K condos to $400K townhouses to $600K single family homes and everything in between.

On the other end of the spectrum, those without kids can live downtown in a decent condo and choose not to have a car at all. Metro, Zip Car and Lyft are how they get around.

Reactions: Nashville Lion
Thank you to all for the help. I am all about the train or metro or even slugging. My wife is extremely skeptical of slugging.

Thank you to all for the help. I am all about the train or metro or even slugging. My wife is extremely skeptical of slugging.

I wouldn't be - I did it for a bit when I lived in Springfield - led to a semi-permanent commute with a few folks who worked at the British Embassy.

I'm curious, will it be just you moving to the area? If you're looking to take advantage of the city on the weekends/evenings you should live in the city. Using public transportation works great IF You use it during rush hour. If you plan on utilizing it during off peak hours it's an absolute nightmare.

I decided that space where I lived didn't matter as much to me because the city was the amenity I was looking for when I moved down here. Now, If I had a family it would be completely different...I"d probably sacrifice 2-3 hours of my day so that they'd have better quality of life, better schools etc.

The final thing you should consider are the hours you'll be expected to work, by the sound of it, if you're asking about commute times to Constitution you'll be working for the government and the majority of those positions offer flex hours or work from home options which many people utilize to make their commute easier. If you're forced to work 8-5, and you plan to live in Fairfax or Annandale, that's at least an hour commute. (or more... the biggest issue with DC traffic is that it's always bad, and then even worse when you least expect it)

Whenever people ask me this question I always ask them to think about what they enjoy doing, before they ask someone what they should do. It's not a black and white question.. Depending on your answers to the following, it's then about your personal preference.
  • What are your hours going to be like?
  • Do you have flexibility to work from home
  • Do you need a lot of space? Do you have a lot of "stuff"
  • Do you prefer amenities of the city, or a yard of your own?
  • Is traffic something that gets under your skin... it affects some people differently than others.
  • If you drive, don't underestimate the cost of tolls, and parking. It can easily cost you 50 bucks a day.. especially if you use the beltway (Check this out). It also fluctuates, and can cause unneeded stress because of its unpredictability.

Last edited:
I'm curious, will it be just you moving to the area? If you're looking to take advantage of the city on the weekends/evenings you should live in the city. Using public transportation works great IF You use it during rush hour. If you plan on utilizing it during off peak hours it's an absolute nightmare.

I decided that space where I lived didn't matter as much to me because the city was the amenity I was looking for when I moved down here. Now, If I had a family it would be completely different...I"d probably sacrifice 2-3 hours of my day so that they'd have better quality of life, better schools etc.

The final thing you should consider are the hours you'll be expected to work, by the sound of it, if you're asking about commute times to Constitution you'll be working for the government and the majority of those positions offer flex hours or work from home options which many people utilize to make their commute easier. If you're forced to work 8-5, and you plan to live in Fairfax or Annandale, that's at least an hour commute. (or more... the biggest issue with DC traffic is that it's always bad, and then even worse when you least expect it)

Whenever people ask me this question I always throw tell them to think about what they enjoy doing, before they ask someone what they should do. It's not a black and white question.. Depending on your answers to the following, it's then about your personal preference.
  • What are your hours going to be like?
  • Do you have flexibility to work from home
  • Do you need a lot of space? Do you have a lot of "stuff"
  • Do you prefer amenities of the city, or a yard of your own?
  • Is traffic something that gets under your skin... it affects some people differently than others.
  • If you drive, don't underestimate the cost of tolls, and parking. It can easily cost you 50 bucks a day.. especially if you use the beltway (Check this out). It also fluctuates, and can cause unneeded stress because of its unpredictability.
Well. the whole family is moving so we have to get somewhere with good schools first and foremost. Secondly, my wife and I will both be working....one of us in DC and one in Crystal City. Neither one of us can work from home. We are looking for yard for kids...nothing huge but 1/4 acre maybe...so that is why we are looking out towards burke, fairfax, etc
My hours are flexible but hers are pretty set....normal hours I guess you could say...830 to 5ish but can flex a little but not a lot.
My employer will cover public transportation so I am all about VRE, Metro or WMATA bus.

What time do you need to be around Constitution? Big difference between having to be there at 7:00 and being there at 9:00. From Burke/South Fairfax Station you can get there in an hour driving if you leave at 6:00. Been doing it for 20+. If you are dropping kids at school and then going, an hour is a pipe dream. Also the routes are different from Fairfax, North end of Fairfax Station than from the South end of Fairfax Station/Lorton area.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT