ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New York City Restaurants

No love here for Guy Fieri, the spike-haired clown prince of the food world. He's entirely the creation of the Food Network, kind of like the Monkees were the perverse TV creation of a rock and roll group. Thankfully his Times Square restaurant went bankrupt.

Not a Fieri fan either, but unlike the Monkeys he was a successful restaurateur long before he landed on the Food Network.

I don’t disagree, but he’s a better writer than chef (Vassar dropout). His arrogance is off putting given he’s never won any serious culinary awards (outside of honorariums or for food writing). It doesn’t stop him from acting like he invented the omelette or something. though.

I agree that he’s a good writer, and his books and shows were interesting in spite of him being an arrogant ass. Never read any of his fiction.

I’m no authority on steak, but Keen’s is my favorite NYC splurge. I go for lunch at the bar as I’m not a linen tablecloth guy and have enjoyed their prime rib, short ribs, and their prime rib hash.

Last edited:
Even Del Friscos is good, albeit a chain. Two good stories the last time I was there:

1. The special was crab cakes, we'll I've lived in MD my entire life, minus 4 years in State College, and can make a mean crab cake. The waitress explained that it's MD Lump Crab, and the chef uses red peppers in it. I said no one in MD would use red peppers, the crab tastes good and the peppers kill the taste. Well the Chef came out with one for free and told me to eat it. I did, and said the same thing, minus the peppers, it "would" have been pretty good. He said, "message received".

2. After dinner Richard Christy was in the bar with his wife, we actually hung out with them for about twenty minutes. Just a super nice and friendly guy, a great ambassador of the show.

Say what you will about Bourdain. Dude graduated from Culinary Institute of America, was a successful chef in NYC, went full on junkie and then recovered, wrote a ground-breaking book on the restaurant industry, became a TV food star on multiple networks, including CNN, and ate the best food in the best restaurants with the best chefs in the world. He even ate soup with President Obama in Vietnam. Not a bad life, and ended too soon.

Bourdain was tremendously entertaining and interesting.

College athletic director.

Back to Fieri's restaurant, the late Anthony Bourdain said of it, "Fieri 'dropped a 500-seat deuce into Times Square,' and that it looks 'like TGI Fridays and Nickelback ****ed Giants Stadium, and out came this.' "
Bourdain turned out to be quite a hero, huh? Either that, or a loser drug addict who could have done so much more than just putting successful contemporaries down any chance he got. And I can't stand Fieri.

Bourdain turned out to be quite a hero, huh? Either that, or a loser drug addict who could have done so much more than just putting successful contemporaries down any chance he got. And I can't stand Fieri.

I just happened to pick one commentary made by Bourdain, without passing judgement on the rest of his life, and he was dead on, end of story.

A lot will still do take out I'll bet.

iu
I've always been a big John Travolta and Saturday Night Fever fan:)

And he blasted Paula Dean, a diabetic who prepared unhealthy foods...
Is there a law against that? Why do we live in a world where someone - anyone - says "Look at her! Why is she cooking that food!!" Who the **ck cares?

He did a lot of talking and drinking and apparently shooting up - but I never saw him cook any more than his arch nemesis - the "ignorant" Rachel Ray.

Meanwhile Rachel Ray (who I am not a fan of any more than Sandra Lee) makes more selling dog food than Anthony could make in two lives of cooking food. I actually liked him at one time - thought he was interesting. But he's the Jim Bouton of the food industry.

There's a word for it. I think it's jealousy.

Last edited:
Luger isn't even the best in NYC. Problem is that it is really inconsistent. Try Uncle Jack's in Bayside or Gallagher's.

There are at least a half dozen parillas in BA that are better than anything in NYC. My favorite is Las Lillas.

None of the places in NYC today hold a candle to the late, much lamented Christ Cella.
On our last trip to BA we dined at El Mirasol which was spectacular, a few steps away from the Four Seasons. We dined at a couple of other spectacularly fun spots, one a courtyard owned by a chef throwing private dinners. Also dined in a third story rooftop underneath tall trees in the Recoleta neighborhood. The steak at this restaurant was also exceptional and pictured below. We also catch Sunday Ravioli whenever we visit. I Am familiar with Las Lillas but have never been. I will make sure we get a reservation next time we head south. You are correct about the Parillas, there are many. BTW, those pieces are from my wife’s plate.

Last edited:
Is there a law against that? Why do we live in a world where someone - anyone - says "Look at her! Why is she cooking that food!!" Who the **ck cares?

He did a lot of talking and drinking and apparently shooting up - but I never saw him cook any more than his arch nemesis - the "ignorant" Rachel Ray.

Meanwhile Rachel Ray (who I am not a fan of any more than Sandra Lee) makes more selling dog food than Anthony could make in two lives of cooking food. I actually liked him at one time - thought he was interesting. But he's the Jim Bouton of the food industry.

There's a word for it. I think it's jealousy.
Apparently lots of people cared, including her sponsors. She is fat and has a health problem but she kept making these recipes that cause others to suffer from obesity related diseases. No it’s not illegal but it’s irresponsible. I’d rather watch Jamie Oliver prepare great food that’s healthy for you.

Apparently lots of people cared, including her sponsors. She is fat and has a health problem but she kept making these recipes that cause others to suffer from obesity related diseases. No it’s not illegal but it’s irresponsible. I’d rather watch Jamie.
I'd rather watch Laura Calder reruns, but they aren't on anymore. It's a free country. Free market. You do what you do to be successful. I get talked in to installations I don't agree with. Doesn't mean I won't take the money. The consumer or the customer is just that. Once you forget that, you go broke.

On our last trip to BA we dined at El Mirasol which was spectacular, a few steps away from the Four Seasons. We dined at a couple of other spectacularly fun spots, one a courtyard owned by a chef throwing private dinners. Also dined in a third story rooftop underneath tall trees in the Recoleta neighborhood. The steak at this restaurant was also exceptional and pictured below. We also catch Sunday Ravioli whenever we visit. I Am familiar with Las Lillas but have never been. I will make sure we get a reservation next time we head south. You are correct about the Parillas, there are many.

The thing about steakis that I can tell good from mediocre. I can also tell exceptional from good. But when it comes to differentiating between exceptional, I'm lost. Might be just me, but it's not a bad problem to have.

Reactions: tgar
Apparently lots of people cared, including her sponsors. She is fat and has a health problem but she kept making these recipes that cause others to suffer from obesity related diseases. No it’s not illegal but it’s irresponsible. I’d rather watch Jamie Oliver prepare great food that’s healthy for you.

No one beats the Two Fat Ladies when it comes to unhealthy food. But it was English cooking so what can one say. At least they were endearing with the sidecar and all.. Watching and listening to, especially listening to, Paula Dean was torture.

The thing about steakis that I can tell good from mediocre. I can also tell exceptional from good. But when it comes to differentiating between exceptional, I'm lost. Might be just me, but it's not a bad problem to have.
I get it and the blur from the wine and experience is also a challenge. The exceptional with this meal was probably more the overall experience and group of friends we were dining with. Pictured below is the flan which again was just really great. I have had better steak but the meal and time spent was memorable for sure as was the setting. Wish I could remember the name of the restaurant.

Has anyone eaten at Chez Plywood in the Midtown area of Manhattan now known as DeBlasio’s Beirut?
I understand that it’s difficult to get a reservation and instead of “self-serve” it’s all “self-take” :cool:
saks.jpg

phallus.jpg

Last edited:
Has anyone eaten at Chez Plywood in the Midtown area of Manhattan now known as DeBlasio’s Beirut?
saks.jpg
Their new marketing quip is "Hey, you may get mugged or shot, but we're not a nursing home. We have standards. We would take psuro though."

Will be allowed to open at 25% capacity for indoor dining at the end of the month.
I am a lover of duck. Berks County has one of the nation’s premier duck farms, Joe Jurgielewicz & Sons, and it is served by name in fine Restaraunts. One is in West Village called Decoy. Had dinner there weekend befor COVID shut down NYC. PHENOMINAL is the best word. Highly recommend if you like duck or have wanted to try it.

I am a lover of duck. Berks County has one of the nation’s premier duck farms, Joe Jurgielewicz & Sons, and it is served by name in fine Restaraunts. One is in West Village called Decoy. Had dinner there weekend befor COVID shut down NYC. PHENOMINAL is the best word. Highly recommend if you like duck or have wanted to try it.
Love duck also. Thanks for the tip.

Ya know, I haven't been to Per Se, but I have been to several other similar places including 11 Madison Park.
I have to say, ever have I went to one of those places and not felt dirty afterwards for the money spent.
And hungery, still very hungry.
I had lunch at PerSe around 2005 or so. It had to be 12 or more courses if you count the amuse bouche, petit fours, etc. And I really wasn't that impressed. But some of those places are great. Jean Georges was one of my all-time favorite meals.

I’ve always wanted to go to Peter Lugar’s Steak House in Brooklyn which may be the best in the world. I’m not sure if I’ll ever get there now. Has anyone on the board ever dined there?
Been there twice and really didn't see what the big deal was.

A lot will still do take out I'll bet.

iu
Somewhat interesting sidenote: the guy who filmed the “pizza rat” video that gif is pulled from went to Penn State. Matt Little is his name.

Ya know, I haven't been to Per Se, but I have been to several other similar places including 11 Madison Park.
I have to say, ever have I went to one of those places and not felt dirty afterwards for the money spent.
And hungery, still very hungry.

Concur with feeling dirty and hungry. Eleven Madison Park opened a pop up in East Hampton in the summer of 2017. They did it to keep their staff together while renovating its NYC place but it was very unappealing to have to pay flagship prices to dine in a farmhouse and then walk away hungry.

Reactions: BrucePa
Concur with feeling dirty and hungry. Eleven Madison Park opened a pop up in East Hampton in the summer of 2017. They did it to keep their staff together while renovating its NYC place but it was very unappealing to have to pay flagship prices to dine in a farmhouse and then walk away hungry.
For a little perspective, there's great food everywhere. The Michelin 3* and 2* restaurants are more of an event than a meal. You go there to be able to say you went there. But the kabob or ramen shops down the street are great meals for hundreds of dollars per cover less.

If I were to plot an eating trip to NYC in normal times, it would include DiFarra's pizza in Brooklyn, Russ and Daughters on the Lower East Side, maybe Momofuku, Gaia Italian, Huerta's, Original John's Deli, Superiority Burger, and the like. I can eat very well at all of these places for the combined total of one cover at Per Se or Le Bernardin.

Plus, Thomas Keller can't be in every one of his restaurants at all times, so you're going to eat the Executive Chef's meals. And really good executive chefs tend to leave and start their own concept.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
For a little perspective, there's great food everywhere. The Michelin 3* and 2* restaurants are more of an event than a meal. You go there to be able to say you went there. But the kabob or ramen shops down the street are great meals for hundreds of dollars per cover less.

If I were to plot an eating trip to NYC in normal times, it would include DiFarra's pizza in Brooklyn, Russ and Daughters on the Lower East Side, maybe Momofuku, Gaia Italian, Huerta's, Original John's Deli, Superiority Burger, and the like. I can eat very well at all of these places for the combined total of one cover at Per Se or Le Bernardin.

Plus, Thomas Keller can't be in every one of his restaurants at all times, so you're going to eat the Executive Chef's meals. And really good executive chefs tend to leave and start their own concept.

Love DiFarra's and I would add Sam's Falafel Cart on Cedar street as an absolute must. Good eats over ambiance.

Reactions: BrucePa
Not a Fieri fan either, but unlike the Monkeys he was a successful restaurateur long before he landed on the Food Network.

I agree that he’s a good writer, and his books and shows were interesting in spite of him being an arrogant ass. Never read any of his fiction.

I’m no authority on steak, but Keen’s is my favorite NYC splurge. I go for lunch at the bar as I’m not a linen tablecloth guy and have enjoyed their prime rib, short ribs, and their prime rib hash.
Yup, Keen's is the place and has been for the last 30 plus years as I know it. My bubby use to be a meat wholesaler in NYC and he said Steakhouses in NYC come and go but, Keen's is always top 5!

no love for the mutton chops? I've had some great experiences at Keens. never thought I was a mutton chop guy until I tried them last year.

I don't know what some of you are talking about with "coming away hungry" after eating at some of these NYC Michelin-starred places. I have eaten at Eleven Madison Park, Daniel, Atera, Le Bernardin, Jean George, Momofuku, and several others. Every time I have left full or more than full. And I am not a wimpy eater.

I have to disagree with some of the comments suggesting that top-rated restaurants are only about ambience or being able to say you ate there. Sure, some of them are overrated, but some of them serve truly great food.

Wife and I like to hit the hot spots but one of my favorite meals in the city is The Little Owl in Greenwich Village. Very homey and cozy; wonderful food and great ambiance. Make a point of going there anytime we're in NYC. The meatball starter is a must, but my favorite is their pork chop with butter beans...

little-owl.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT