ADVERTISEMENT

OT. New to Netflixs and Prime. Need some recommendations

Parkland Fan

Jul 25, 2001
I guess I qualify as a Luddite when it comes to entertainment.

For years I have seen all types of posts about shows that I could not access so I am assuming that there are some media experts on this site. Hopefully, I can get some ideas on shows/series.

I do have HBO. My tastes range from Sopranos, The Wire, True Blood, Vinyl, The Deuce to The Flight of the Concords and Larry David. I am not a big fan of sci fi.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Welcome fellow Luddite.
I just got Netflix, and only it, last month.
Recommend in no particular order =
2 westerns = Godless and Ballad of Buster Scruggs
Peaky Blinders (similar to Boardwalk Empire) - set in Birmingham/London
The Crown (actually I have this on dvd) but is available on Netflix
G.L.O.W. - Alison Brie fan
Ozarks
Bodyguard.

Oh...I forgot. I have this on dvd, but I think it is on Netflix also; one of the best shows in yrs imo, an 8 episode series = The Honorable Woman

Last edited:
Netflix
  • house of cards
  • orange is the new black
  • narcos
  • Ozark
  • Portlandia
Amazon
  • Any older HBO show
  • Jack Ryan (awesome if you like Tom Clancy)
  • Transparent
  • Sneaky Pete
  • Goliath (very good, both seasons)
  • The man in the High Castle
  • Catastrophe (funny comedy about a later in life couple getting pregnant and trying to make a go of it)
My order would be:
  • Jack Ryan
  • Narcos
  • Ozark
  • Goliath
  • House of Cards
  • Catastrophe
  • Portlandia

Hit up Rotten tomatoes for good info....

Reactions: Parkland Fan
Netflix
  • house of cards
  • orange is the new black
  • narcos
  • Ozark
  • Portlandia
Amazon
  • Any older HBO show
  • Jack Ryan (awesome if you like Tom Clancy)
  • Transparent
  • Sneaky Pete
  • Goliath (very good, both seasons)
  • The man in the High Castle
  • Catastrophe (funny comedy about a later in life couple getting pregnant and trying to make a go of it)
My order would be:
  • Jack Ryan
  • Narcos
  • Ozark
  • Goliath
  • House of Cards
  • Catastrophe
  • Portlandia

Hit up Rotten tomatoes for good info....
Man, i thought this was really good, sorry I finished the most current season.
p15169923_b_v8_aa.jpg

For years I have seen all types of posts about shows that I could not access so I am assuming that there are some media experts on this site. Hopefully, I can get some ideas on shows/series.

I do have HBO. My tastes range from Sopranos, The Wire, True Blood, Vinyl, The Deuce to The Flight of the Concords and Larry David. I am not a big fan of sci fi.

Try Longmire on Netflix. Amazing cinematography and pretty good story lines.

Netflix

Peaky Blinders
Godless
Stranger Things (but Sci Fi/Horror)
GLOW
Mad Men
Halt and Catch Fire
Hell on Wheels

Amazon

Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
The Romanoffs

Netflix

Peaky Blinders
Godless
Stranger Things (but Sci Fi/Horror)
GLOW
Mad Men
Halt and Catch Fire
Hell on Wheels

Amazon

Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
The Romanoffs
may have posted this before (sorry) but if you've seen Romanoffs episode 7, where the couple adopts from Russia, that was 99% my experience. My wife and I were captivated because, watching that, I could even smell the smells of the hotel, car, orphanage and restaurants. Even the women's cloths and court hearing. The women were simply stunning. It was 28 below zero when we were in Moscow. The gals were awesome looking, though. The only difference is we didn't experience a bait and switch at the end.

p176316-1.jpg

may have posted this before (sorry) but if you've seen Romanoffs episode 7, where the couple adopts from Russia, that was 99% my experience. My wife and I were captivated because, watching that, I could even smell the smells of the hotel, car, orphanage and restaurants. Even the women's cloths and court hearing. The women were simply stunning. It was 28 below zero when we were in Moscow. The gals were awesome looking, though. The only difference is we didn't experience a bait and switch at the end.

p176316-1.jpg

Not there yet but heard it’s the best of the series. And I love Annet Mahendru (from The Americans)...

Annet-Mahendru:-The-Americans-Season-4-NY-Premiere--08.jpg

Not there yet but heard it’s the best of the series. And I love Annet Mahendru (from The Americans)...

Annet-Mahendru:-The-Americans-Season-4-NY-Premiere--08.jpg
That gal nailed our interpreter to a "T". The high boots, the attitude, the whole thing. An odd mix of pride in the people and shame about the country with a huge ambition to make money mixed in. What they really capture is the pressure and emotions for everyone involved. They are in essence trafficking kids and have a weird balance of thinking they are doing the right thing for the kids, but in the end, balance in the business, money-making aspect.

Anyway, as a father, I'd love to hear your review once you see the episode. I thought you might enjoy knowing how realistic it is while you watch it.

Ya'll have crushed it on the good stuff so consider these secondary suggestions.

Netflix:

The entire Monty Python collection - movies, shows, specials etc.

Netflix has a number of great standup options including Dave Chappelle, Bill Burr, Jim Breuer's "And Laughter For All" special has converted several friends into fans. Just watched John Leguizamo's "Latin History for Morons" which was good as well.

Could always check out the Marvel shows before Disney steals them
DareDevil
Jessica Jones
The Punisher
Luke Cage
If you get desperate Iron Fist - but serious meh on that one.

If you have a interest in the absurd you could also check out
Dark Tourist
Afflicted

Last edited:
I am a little overwhelmed with all the suggestions. Looks like I will change from Luddite to Couch Potato this winter.
Thanks to all.

Amazon:

•Sneaky Pete
•The Americans
•Jack Ryan
•The Romanoffs (only watched first 3 episodes: liked episode 1 and 2, hated 3)
•Fleabag (was mildly entertaining)
•Worth It (short episodes comparing cheap and expensive consumer goods)

Would anyone be willing to share a bit more about the Romanoffs? When I saw that it wasn't a historical show about the real Romanoffs, but somehow a modern day version of their theoretical decedents, it didn't sound as interesting to me.

There is so much good TV now. I enjoyed the series "Barry", which is from HBO. There are also a ton of good documentaries that I didn't know existed. I like WW2 so enjoyed "hero or villain" and one about the Eastern Front.
I watched all nine seasons of Foyles War. I had a subscription to Netflix discs at the time. I thought it was a terrific series. I retained streaming with a minimum disc subscription due to the many more selections of series & movies that are available.

LINK; https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0310455/
LINK: https://acorn.tv/foyleswar/

Would anyone be willing to share a bit more about the Romanoffs? When I saw that it wasn't a historical show about the real Romanoffs, but somehow a modern day version of their theoretical decedents, it didn't sound as interesting to me.
There is almost nothing about the historical "romanoffs" in the series so far (through episode 7). So far, it is just seven episodes that are mostly anecdotal about people that are somehow descendants of the Romanoffs. The executive producer did "Mad Men." So far, it looks like a bunch of good ideas for shows/episodes that didn't fit into any larger project. Perhaps there will be a later episode that will pull it all together, but right now it looks like a bunch of episodes that have no common element other than one key player in each episode somehow claims to be a Romanoff. Regardless, of the seven episodes, six were really good and one was so-so to me.

There is almost nothing about the historical "romanoffs" in the series so far (through episode 7). So far, it is just seven episodes that are mostly anecdotal about people that are somehow descendants of the Romanoffs. The executive producer did "Mad Men." So far, it looks like a bunch of good ideas for shows/episodes that didn't fit into any larger project. Perhaps there will be a later episode that will pull it all together, but right now it looks like a bunch of episodes that have no common element other than one key player in each episode somehow claims to be a Romanoff. Regardless, of the seven episodes, six were really good and one was so-so to me.

So it's more like Black Mirror in that it's episodic and not a full story arc. May check it out as I did enjoy that concept, it's not done very often in shows these days anymore.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq

Last kingdom
All corn brothers materisl

When I had a Netflix disc subscription I watched the 64 episodes of Due South and enjoyed immensely. The humor in the series was similar to the Beverly Cop movies.

'Born in the 1990s? We’ve got bad news – you missed out on Due South, the best cop show there ever was. But good news – the episodic drama made popular in the 1990s and early noughties is now available on YouTube, thanks to The Canadian Media Fund who have uploaded a wide range of classic Canadian shows. If you’re approaching Due South for the first time, the premise is familiar – it’s a cop comedy centering around Canadian ‘mountie’ Benton Fraser and his long-suffering cop partner, Ray'.

'Benton has a deaf dog who only understands orders by lip reading and the show has a playful and surreal sense of humour, never taking itself too seriously'.

Due South is a celebrated cult classic for the way it spun charmingly oddball, surreal humour with storylines of genuine emotional validity.

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2017/11/17/icon...ancel-netflix-and-dig-in-7086393/?ito=cbshare

All the above are great suggestions. I started watching the Good Cop with Tony Danza and Josh Groban on Netflix and it a little corny but still good. Also the Kominsky Method with Michael Douglas and Alan Arkin. Great diversions from the crap news of the day and they do get me to actually lol from time to time.

So it's more like Black Mirror in that it's episodic and not a full story arc. May check it out as I did enjoy that concept, it's not done very often in shows these days anymore.

Yes, exactly. It's a very well done, high production value show. A-List cast too. I've only watched the first two and really enjoyed both (noting I believe they are a bit long - each well over an hour). I think some of the stories connect tangentially (a character in one episode is a supposed 'Romanoff' expert and appears in a minor role, but has a bigger role in a different setting in a subsequent episode). They're all self-contained and I don't think you have to watch them in any kind of order. I don't know that it will go beyond this season but as Obliviax noted, it was basically the pet project of Matthew Weiner, who created Mad Men, and Amazon gave him a very long leash and big budget.

Ozarks
Red Oak
Stranger Things
Sneaky Pete
Marvelous Mrs Maisel

My wife and I watched and recommend:

Sons of Anarchy - all
Breaking Bad - all
Dexter - 8 seasons
Vikings - all
Stranger Things - for kids, too
Ozarks
Sopranos-all

^^ This is a very good list. Glad to see Dexter get some recognition.

IMO, House of Cards jumps the proverbial shark in season 4. I would add Taboo to the list, but you'll have to buy it because it's not included with Prime subscription. Justified and Sneaky Pete are worth watching. Mad Men is excellent! I'm near the end of Season 2 of The Man in the High Castle, and I feel like I'm slogging through a swamp. Narcos is decent. Enjoy!

^^ This is a very good list. Glad to see Dexter get some recognition.

IMO, House of Cards jumps the proverbial shark in season 4. I would add Taboo to the list, but you'll have to buy it because it's not included with Prime subscription. Justified and Sneaky Pete are worth watching. Mad Men is excellent! I'm near the end of Season 2 of The Man in the High Castle, and I feel like I'm slogging through a swamp. Narcos is decent. Enjoy!

Taboo just got renewed too. Need to re-visit - it’s pretty dense but Hardy is awesome. It is in Hulu.

That gal nailed our interpreter to a "T". The high boots, the attitude, the whole thing. An odd mix of pride in the people and shame about the country with a huge ambition to make money mixed in. What they really capture is the pressure and emotions for everyone involved. They are in essence trafficking kids and have a weird balance of thinking they are doing the right thing for the kids, but in the end, balance in the business, money-making aspect.

Anyway, as a father, I'd love to hear your review once you see the episode. I thought you might enjoy knowing how realistic it is while you watch it.
My wife and I road the emotion train during that episode. It was a first rate episode.

I just got through Season 3 of Man in the High Castle.

Man, the whole direction of that show is so different than Season 1. It might as well be a different show

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT