ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Need help with a memorial for a high school classmate...........

OhioLion

Jul 11, 2001
Heart of America, Archbold, OH
I live in a small town and graduated in 1980 from HS. Some may recall other posts on my upcoming retirement that I teach in the building I attended elementary and HS. Maybe that is why I have taken on the task of staying in touch with my classmates.

A classmate lost her battle with cancer last month. I took the liberty of keeping my classmates informed of what is happening in our big city of 4,000+ and with our classmates. We have collected around $400 to purchase something for the husband and 16-year old daughter from our class. We are now at a point where we don't know what to purchase.

Thought about a tree - already done by another group.
Thought about a bush - still a possibility
Thought about a bench for their yard - already done by another group

Gift certificate is out as this puts the burden on a grieving family to make the purchase.

One problem of landscaping is they could move some day and not have the opportunity to take it with them. Others have suggested mantle clock, blanket with specific wording for the family, painting based on a family portrait.

Your thoughtful suggestions for a gift from the Archbold High School class of 1980 would be appreciated.

On a side-note; this is the seventh classmate out of a class of (I think) 112 that has passed away in 35 years.

TIA,

OL

how about a tree at the school with an in ground plaque in her memory

so what if its been done should last a lifetime

Originally posted by WarrentonLion:
Perhaps set up a scholarship fund for the daughter?
Excellent idea, or a scholarship fund at the high school in the name of your deceased classmate. Maybe you could get some local businesses to come up with matching funds on either scholarship idea.

Would it be inappropriate, even for BWI board standards, to suggest

taking the money down to the local strip club?

If so, then how about a nice painting of her and her family?

WIthout knowing more about your classmate, it is a tough call. A painting would be nice, especially if you took your classmates high school picture and had it redone. You could contact the father and get some life time pictures of your classmate and put together a professionally done collage for the daughter.

A tree in a public space would be nice too.....every one in the class could think of this person when they saw the tree....including the father. So what if it has been done.

We did something like this with a classmate and did the scholarship thing. Over time, it got harder and hard to fund as the emotion of losing a friend wore off....and we started to lose more and more friends. As an 80 grad too, we have seemingly had more than our share of cancer and suicide, usually due to drug abuse. Some were never able to leave the 70's behind and now they won't live to see their 50's and 60's.

Good luck. It might actually be a benefit to really take your time. Fighting cancer takes time, so does coping with the grief.

ADVERTISEMENT