ADVERTISEMENT

OT: My gym has reopened.

LionJim

Oct 8, 2003
Levittown, PA to Olney, MD
Today was my second day back. Some observations:
  1. Social distancing is easy, right now anyway. In two days I’ve seen six people upstairs, on the bikes and treadmills.
  2. The ropes are all gone. Every kind.
  3. People are getting in and out quicker; a lot less conversation going on.
  4. I was reminded of how important lifting is to me. I was thrilled to be there, working hard.
  5. I’m nowhere near where I was before the gym closed. (For example, 60 pounds short on my bench. I would do dips with 50 pounds on a belt, crank them out with perfect form. Yesterday I did dips without extra weight and thought I was going to die.)

1. Social distancing is easy, right now anyway. In two days I’ve seen six people upstairs, on the bikes and treadmills.
  4. I was reminded of how important lifting is to me. I was thrilled to be there, working hard.
  5. I’m nowhere near where I was before the gym closed. (For example, 60 pounds short on my bench. I would do dips with 50 pounds on a belt, crank them out with perfect form. Yesterday I did dips without extra weight and thought I was going to die.)
Plus, nobody touches the water fountain.

Thanks for the update. Closing gyms for so long was one of the stupider ideas. At least the freeweight sections.

Glad to hear you are back at it.

Reactions: BUFFALO LION
My gym opened on June 12th. It’s a large upscale gym. You now need to make reservations so they can keep the numbers down. Hasn’t been a problem at all, it’s a ghost town there. Maybe 10% full at most. You are supposed to wear your mask when going from one piece of equipment to the other. Some do. Some don’t. But I’m not sure it’s even necessary as the gym is plenty big enough so that you never need to be less than 6 feet from someone. Tons of wipes around and you have to wipe down each piece of equipment after you use it. I’d assume that this is more effective at killing other things like bacteria, MRSA etc than Coronavirus. But it’s an easy thing to do.

Happy to be able to workout again. It was closed for almost 90 days.

My gym opened on June 12th. It’s a large upscale gym. You now need to make reservations so they can keep the numbers down. Hasn’t been a problem at all, it’s a ghost town there. Maybe 10% full at most. You are supposed to wear your mask when going from one piece of equipment to the other. Some do. Some don’t. But I’m not sure it’s even necessary as the gym is plenty big enough so that you never need to be less than 6 feet from someone. Tons of wipes around and you have to wipe down each piece of equipment after you use it. I’d assume that this is more effective at killing other things like bacteria, MRSA etc than Coronavirus. But it’s an easy thing to do.

Yeah, it seems as if the only people going are those who can’t do without it.

I would go but they can't open kids care or the whirlpool yet so, I'll still freeze it until they can open

Have had a similar experience. I've been going around 9:30 P.M. Very few people, although I did notice one guy not cleaning the machines after use. I always clean mine before and after because of a-holes like that.

I could do that...I choose not to do so!!

Reactions: LionJim
No mats.

We all know how you stayed in shape!!! In 2 minute intervals!!!!! And we DON"T need any pics!
ad_138039541-e1403005677581.jpg

Mine opened a few weeks ago but I don’t plan to go back for a while. It’s nice enough outside to get exercise. I run, walk, and ride a bike. Outdoor pools are opening so I can lap swim outdoors. A friend of mine had a doctors visit and he recommended not going to a gym. That recommendation was not based on the idea the equipment might not be clean but on the fact that air doesn’t circulate there.

Or maybe people got to to thinking and realized that a " large upscale gym" wasn't worth the money? I think a lot of people reflected and realized that there are better priorities than being "upscale"?

I would be extremely surprised if that was the case in North County San Diego.

Most of the "serious" lifters at my gym purchased all kinda of home gym equipment during the shutdown. They weren't going to go months w/o working out. So now the gyms are back open and there are far fewer people there - part of that has to be those gym regulars that now just lift at home.

Reactions: bison13

I bought 1 of the neck gaiters they use for fishing and use it every where I go... I keep it around my neck and pull it up when required or needed. It's synthetic, lightweight, spf 50 and wicks all moisture away... this way I always have it and don't have to worry about remembering a mask... Just pull it up and done. Might not be a bad thing for the gym as well. I got mine on amazon for $10.

You now need to make reservations so they can keep the numbers down. Hasn’t been a problem at all, it’s a ghost town there. Maybe 10% full at most.

Treadmill & eliptical people can walk/run outside. The real question is what happens in November. If the gyms aren't back to 75% capacity a lot of them will go out of business.

Most of the "serious" lifters at my gym purchased all kinda of home gym equipment during the shutdown. They weren't going to go months w/o working out. So now the gyms are back open and there are far fewer people there - part of that has to be those gym regulars that now just lift at home.
Easier said than done. There’s nothing out there to buy nowadays.

Been back 2 weeks or so now... first week was fun as population was low. Easy finding a parking spot and getting equipment.

That's over. Lot is more crowded by the day and machines are harder to get (and I go around 2 when it's easiest... no idea what is happening during rush hour).

No masks (ok, a couple folks out of 100). No one follows the directional lines. Guys are still buddying up and talking as loud as ever (hafta be heard over their headphones... sigh). So, no masks, close proximity, loud loud mouthing... iow, what wouldn't be accedpted in a church sure as hell is cool in the gym. Well hey.. it's our temple lol.

Ran into a guy who wanted to know how i stayed in shape while it was closed down (you must have a gym at home). I explained that covid-19 did wonders for me (ok, i joke). He said all he had were large water bottles he did curls with.

Hey, we do whatever works. :)

I really try to keep moving when I work out....circuit training, going straight from one machine to the next. My gym doesn't have sanitizer at each machine so I have to take 20-30 seconds to sanitize the machine because I have to go over to where they have the sanitizer.
Its impacted the way I work out....but I'll take it

Easier said than done. There’s nothing out there to buy nowadays.
I was fortunate... I saw this coming (gyms closing) and ordered a few things before it went to hell. Took time to get here but I had what i needed by early april, so when i was healthy enough to resume training it was waiting for me.

But i know so many guys still looking for equipment (don't want to return to the gym).

Bench seems to be the universal sufferer of a 2.5-3 month layoff. I went from 340 (almost got 350 afterwards but was just shy) to 285. Just a little over 2 weeks back, I've gotten 300 and made a good attempt at 315.

Stamina is the big thing. The tank emptys quicker. It's returning though. My other lifts stayed relatively closer to pre-layoff weight. Legs did the best. I had a nearby football field and track to do measured sprints, tire flips and a sled to push.

Our water fountain is taped off, but I don't think they unhooked it.

I was fortunate... I saw this coming (gyms closing) and ordered a few things before it went to hell. Took time to get here but I had what i needed by early april, so when i was healthy enough to resume training it was waiting for me.

But i know so many guys still looking for equipment (don't want to return to the gym).
I've had no problem getting dumbells and kettlebells since march on Facebook marketplace. That's all I wanted for home

I've had no problem getting dumbells and kettlebells since march on Facebook marketplace. That's all I wanted for home

Getting a weight bench was practically impossible. Everything was back ordered. I preferred a 90 pound powerblock set and that came reasonably fast. Maybe people aren't looking in the right places.

Getting a weight bench was practically impossible. Everything was back ordered. I preferred a 90 pound powerblock set and that came reasonably fast. Maybe people aren't looking in the right places.
You got guns there, in your avatar. A lot of work there, anyone can tell. I’m tired already (my wife and I walk three miles every morning) but that pic is sending me back to the gym.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
I have been using this away from the gym to fully recover from problems in my knees, hips, shoulder, elbow....at least that is what I have been telling myself.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT