ADVERTISEMENT

OT: More PSU insanity -- Outing Club no longer allowed to go on Outings

Do they get participation trophies, at least?

The good news is, they can now walk around campus without having to breath in the smoke of someone in a restricted smoking area 50 yards from their path.

Reactions: MtNittany
f219_bubble_wrap_suit_new.jpg

That is soooooooo stupid. Consider this passage.....

“This is a result,” the announcement said, “of an assessment of risk management by the university that determined that the types of activities in which PSOC engages are above the university’s threshold of acceptable risk for recognized student organizations.”

Someone please explain the logic here. It's too risky for students to go camping so the university will no longer sanction such activities. OTOH, the university wants to micromanage the Greek system and assume the risk and responsibility should another tragedy occur at a frat house.

Completely ridiculous. They can’t go camping or canoeing because it’s too dangerous?

Wait until someone asks about the risk of climbing 80 rows of short metal steps in the stadium. They could fall and get hurt....,or worse!!! What if someone falls over the upper deck railings?!?!? And holy ****- they still use that slippery metal stadium when it’s wet and covered with snow or ice???

For God’s sake- they better cancel football season!!! The stadium is nothing but a death trap!! :eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:
Can’t the pinheads running PSU into the ground even think about the concept of a “liability waiver”?

You make every student and “event participant”sign one (perhaps multiple ones), but you don’t cancel events because the “pinheads staff attorneys advised the pinheaded administrators that this was the best course of action”.

PSU used to be such a well-run University....and then someone happened.

Reactions: FHSPSU67
That is soooooooo stupid. Consider this passage.....

“This is a result,” the announcement said, “of an assessment of risk management by the university that determined that the types of activities in which PSOC engages are above the university’s threshold of acceptable risk for recognized student organizations.”

Someone please explain the logic here. It's too risky for students to go camping so the university will no longer sanction such activities. OTOH, the university wants to micromanage the Greek system and assume the risk and responsibility should another tragedy occur at a frat house.

I’d like to see the number of hospitalizations and deaths associated with frat activities compared to the number of hospitalizations and deaths from camping and then have the university explain how if camping is too dangerous why do the universities recognize and endorse frats???

The University has become so risk adverse since late 2011 it is scared of it’s own shadow...shadows will be banned next.

Last edited:
Reactions: kgilbert78
I have no idea what the office of Student Affairs and Risk Management evaluation found. And PSU may be under all types of pressure by their insurance company concerning potential liabilities. With those caveats, I still find this decision to be idiotic. Good grief, the way things are going, PSU may devolve into an online university. Then again, eyeball fatigue, or wrist/knuckle/finger arthritis may be too much of a risk for PSU to even offer just online courses.

It's interesting to see Charlie Walbridge mentioned in the article. He's an old friend of mine -- years ago we went on quite a few whitewater trips in West Virginia, Maryland, and PA. Charlie went from learning whitewater skills as part of the PSU Outing Club to being the safety chair of the American Canoe Association, as well as American Whitewater. In those roles, he would independently analyze every single whitewater fatality or serious accident in the US, and write up a detailed analysis of the incident.

Seems that a well crafted liability waver would be sufficient to allay the fears of PSU's insurers, or risk managers.

It will be interesting to see if PSU has extra security in the student section at football games this fall. After all, you'd think that most risk managers would freak out at the thought of young co-eds being passed overhead after TDs.

smh

I have no idea what the office of Student Affairs and Risk Management evaluation found. And PSU may be under all types of pressure by their insurance company concerning potential liabilities. With those caveats, I still find this decision to be idiotic. Good grief, the way things are going, PSU may devolve into an online university. Then again, eyeball fatigue, or wrist/knuckle/finger arthritis may be too much of a risk for PSU to even offer just online courses.

It's interesting to see Charlie Walbridge mentioned in the article. He's an old friend of mine -- years ago we went on quite a few whitewater trips in West Virginia, Maryland, and PA. Charlie went from learning whitewater skills as part of the PSU Outing Club to being the safety chair of the American Canoe Association, as well as American Whitewater. In those roles, he would independently analyze every single whitewater fatality or serious accident in the US, and write up a detailed analysis of the incident.

Seems that a well crafted liability waver would be sufficient to allay the fears of PSU's insurers, or risk managers.

It will be interesting to see if PSU has extra security in the student section at football games this fall. After all, you'd think that most risk managers would freak out at the thought of young co-eds being passed overhead after TDs.

smh

Guessing students will need to wear helmets because of the danger from marshmallows being thrown?

As opposed to............ playing football?

Rumor has it, PSU DOES sanction a student group involved in that activity

I guess this dashes my hopes that we'll get a B&I Trustee from the executive team at Cabela's.

Bring back the portable camp stoves or we will!

I was a member of PSOC all 4 years of my tenure at UP. Mostly participated in backpacking, and didn’t go on many trips because my heavy course load in the college of science just didn’t permit taking most of the weekend off. I just can’t believe the club members can no longer participate in the dangerous sport of hiking. Oh the humanity!

Maybe the members can just do casual get togethers for outdoor activity participation that are not sanctioned by the club. Just have club meetings and when they are officially over they can casually talk to each other for planning “get togethers” that relate to hiking, camping, etc.

Reactions: BVSt.Paul and psute
I was a member of PSOC all 4 years of my tenure at UP. Mostly participated in backpacking, and didn’t go on many trips because my heavy course load in the college of science just didn’t permit taking most of the weekend off. I just can’t believe the club members can no longer participate in the dangerous sport of hiking. Oh the humanity!

Maybe the members can just do casual get togethers for outdoor activity participation that are not sanctioned by the club. Just have club meetings and when they are officially over they can casually talk to each other for planning “get togethers” that relate to hiking, camping, etc.
Which means that if someone brings beer they're OK, since it is an informal get together...

Reactions: Nittany Ned2
So hiking, canoeing, and spelunking are too risky but activities like football, wrestling, boxing, judo, ROTC, etc. are not?

Not to mention that the IM building has a 40' climbing wall and that PSU still operates Stone Valley where they advertise the hiking trails and various boat rentals.

Last edited:

smh
I didn't know you were a whitewater guy. Those WV rivers are nothing to mess with.

He studied every fatality? Do you know if his reports are available? Depending on the time frame, there are a few I'm curious about.

So hiking, canoeing, and spelunking are too risky but activities like football, wrestling, boxing, judo, ROTC, etc. are not?

Not to mention that the IM building has a 40' climbing wall and that PSU still operates Stone Valley where they advertise the hiking trails and various boat rentals.

Shut down Stone Valley or we will!

:eek:

Reactions: FHSPSU67
I agree with the school’s decision. It’s too dangerous to be outside. It’s cold and snowy in April. Global warming is getting intense. In fact, just the other day I tiptoed outside and wasp landed on my arm. Scared the crap out of me. I’m staying inside where the temperature is controlled and the air is filtered. It’s just safer this way.

I agree with the school’s decision. It’s too dangerous to be outside. It’s cold and snowy in April. Global warming is getting intense. In fact, just the other day I tiptoed outside and wasp landed on my arm. Scared the crap out of me. I’m staying inside where the temperature is controlled and the air is filtered. It’s just safer this way.

Think of the children!

:confused:

I’ve got a trip planned to Yosemite in 3 weeks and I’m 50 - way past college age and, thus, more frail.

I should just cancel my trip now - way too risky :eek:

Reactions: BVSt.Paul
This was from the comment section of the article. Does he have a point. Is this more of an underhanded decision as opposed to a stupid decision?

Peter Benfield9 hours ago
Does everyone see that this is a ploy to get all of the Outing members and activity over to the Outdoor Adventures program? PSU makes money on that! The same type of power play happened to the Cornell University Outing Club. Cornell didn't shut it down, but they took away all of the Outing Club's resources to try to push everything to the University owned Cornell Outdoor Education, which costs much more.

Princess Nitt-A-Nee knew there were dangers lurking and did nothing.
Tear down Mt. Nittany or we will!

I suffered a scraped knee climbing Mt. Nittany. I called Pat "Climb With Us" Chambers to tell him, but he said he was too busy to care. Pffft.

:eek:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT