ADVERTISEMENT

OT(maybe): PSU Traditions - Booing?

TheBigUglies

Jan 13, 2004
I sort of remember that at PSU football games in my youth(late 70s thru the 80s), PSU had a tradition on not booing the visiting team when they took the field. Am I misremembering?

Also, the student section at the women's vball game on Friday night took a different path from booing when Iowa State starters were announced. There was no booing at all. The students turned around and faced the other way(with their backs to the court). I find this as an answer to the booing the visiting team. I think it just some good old college fun(I am sure some will find it disrespectful but whatevs). Also, I recall at the 2005 OSU-PSU game the student section at Beaver Stadium did the same thing when the OSU band took the field. I have seen other student sections actually bring newspapers and pretend they were reading the newspaper when visiting teams were announced.

There is just something about booing I don't like and I am pretty sure it is from attending PSU football games back in the day. Please tell me I am not losing my mind in my old age?!?!?!?

I don’t have quite a far back enough history with PSU to speak to the OP’s specific question… but I do recall a more recent time the booing topic came up. I’m thinking it was between 10-20 years ago — maybe during the “dark years?”

All I remember is that the PSU faculty passed some resolution supporting a public statement that discouraged booing at sporting events, and it generated a lot of discussion and opinions in various directions. I seem to remember that it was ostensibly about being respectful to the opponent, but it was also a thinly veiled response to some fans actually booing some struggles by OUR team… which is why I’m thinking it was during the dark years.

Anyone remember that?

I don’t remember booing the opponent as a thing until we played Dennis Eriksen’s Miami squad in 1992. It may have happened before then, but I just don’t recall it being significant. After 1992, it changed.
Eriksen seemed intimidated by his own players, I recall.

I sort of remember that at PSU football games in my youth(late 70s thru the 80s), PSU had a tradition on not booing the visiting team when they took the field. Am I misremembering?

Also, the student section at the women's vball game on Friday night took a different path from booing when Iowa State starters were announced. There was no booing at all. The students turned around and faced the other way(with their backs to the court). I find this as an answer to the booing the visiting team. I think it just some good old college fun(I am sure some will find it disrespectful but whatevs). Also, I recall at the 2005 OSU-PSU game the student section at Beaver Stadium did the same thing when the OSU band took the field. I have seen other student sections actually bring newspapers and pretend they were reading the newspaper when visiting teams were announced.

There is just something about booing I don't like and I am pretty sure it is from attending PSU football games back in the day. Please tell me I am not losing my mind in my old age?!?!?!?
I agree. There is just something about booing I don't like. I take the philosophy espoused by General George S Patton: respect your opponent and then kill them. I applaud my opponents and then hope my team can defeat them .

I don’t remember booing any opposing team except Pitt and maybe Syracuse back in the ‘70’s. They used to have an evening vigil at the lion the Friday before the Syracuse game because the Syracuse fans back then would try to paint the lion statue, so that is why they used to get booed I believe. I think Syracuse saw it as a big rivalry game.

O$U is no different. I went to Ohio State home games back in the early’70’s because my parents were season ticket holders. The only team that got booed was UM. Moved to C’bus in 1999 and found out they booed every opponent including Div. I-AA opponents that were about to be slaughtered such as Youngstown State.

Just a sign of the times. No more sportsmanship in sports anymore.

It is a game. Respect your opponent if you want respect from your opponent. Remember the reaction here when Maryland refused to shake hands at the coin toss.

I agree with you. But the Maryland handshake thing was the players, not the fans. Big difference.

I won't boo ANY college kid unless he is doing something disrespectful during the game or intentionally trying to hurt someone or play dirty.

I don’t remember booing the opponent as a thing until we played Dennis Eriksen’s Miami squad in 1992. It may have happened before then, but I just don’t recall it being significant. After 1992, it changed.
Eriksen seemed intimidated by his own players, I recall.
Not only was there booing at that ‘92 Miami game — there was a military-grade smoke bomb released in the student section! I remember it well, as I was about a dozen rows back from where it went off.

Not only was there booing at that ‘92 Miami game — there was a military-grade smoke bomb released in the student section! I remember it well, as I was about a dozen rows back from where it went off.
Yeah, I think the idiot who did that was caught.

Reactions: CVLion
There was booing when I was there in the mid 90s. Football and also went to a lot of Icers games, where there was a good deal of booing (and yelling whatnottery at the opposing team's goalie).

There was booing when I was there in the mid 90s. Football and also went to a lot of Icers games, where there was a good deal of booing (and yelling whatnottery at the opposing team's goalie).
Yes… trolling the goalie was a big thing at that time… chanting “Sieve” and such.

Booing is one of those things in sports that seemingly simultaneously "has always been a thing!" and "never happened 10-15 years ago!" its been an ongoing debate in the online world, well since before there was an online world.....

Reactions: manofsteel200
went to a lot of Icers games, where there was a good deal of booing (and yelling whatnottery at the opposing team's goalie).

I was ruthless back then and the room was small enough that individuals were heard by the players.

I agree. There is just something about booing I don't like. I take the philosophy espoused by General George S Patton: respect your opponent and then kill them. I applaud my opponents and then hope my team can defeat them .
Respect should be at the center of athletic competition. If you defeat a bunch of bums, what is it worth?

It is a game. Respect your opponent if you want respect from your opponent. Remember the reaction here when Maryland refused to shake hands at the coin toss.
This weekend my daughter's soccer team played u of Md w soccer team, after the stadium announcers did the customery pregame sportsmanship talk. Their fans began chanting, every time our goalie punted the ball, yelled "(name if goalie) You Suck" they were seated directly behind the away goal. At halftime they switched sides so they were again seated behind visiting teams goalie and repeated the chant. I watched their mens team play last night and witness the same fiasco. Not very hospitable but typical Terp fans. Their mens team played a very nice game, the women not so much

This weekend my daughter's soccer team played u of Md w soccer team, after the stadium announcers did the customery pregame sportsmanship talk. Their fans began chanting, every time our goalie punted the ball, yelled "(name if goalie) You Suck" they were seated directly behind the away goal. At halftime they switched sides so they were again seated behind visiting teams goalie and repeated the chant. I watched their mens team play last night and witness the same fiasco. Not very hospitable but typical Terp fans. Their mens team played a very nice game, the women not so much
Coulda yelled puta…

Local high schools used to do the newspaper thing when visiting cheerleaders led a cheer on the court of basketball games.

ADVERTISEMENT