ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Masters Week!

Obliviax

Gold Member
Aug 21, 2001
Word is, Tiger looks great and is walking the course with no problems although hasn't played competitively since his car wreck. Several players took last week easy to prepare. Where is Lefty? Scheffler has been playing great but the major winners have an edge when it comes to being able to handle the pressure on a Masters' Sunday.

Who have you got winning this thing? I think John Rahm has been the best player for the last two years. So it is hard to go against him.

Lefty isn't going to do it. Ever sense he posited his commentary about the Saudi league, has seems to have been excommunicated from the PGA. He did the "I need work on being a better man" routine and hasn't been heard from since.

Can't wait for the week either way. Who does everyone like?

For those golf fans who have not spent a day there put it on your bucket list. TV simply does not do the grounds justice as it is something to see in person. With Tiger ready to play this week is going to be epic. A Tiger win would be perhaps the biggest sports story of all time.

For those golf fans who have not spent a day there put it on your bucket list. TV simply does not do the grounds justice as it is something to see in person. With Tiger ready to play this week is going to be epic. A Tiger win would be perhaps the biggest sports story of all time.
I can't imagine tiger being even close due to his physical, age and lack of competition challenges. But if he did challenge, as you say, one of the biggest golf stories in decades.

I can't imagine tiger being even close due to his physical, age and lack of competition challenges. But if he did challenge, as you say, one of the biggest golf stories in decades.
I am a little surprised that he doesn't claim a handicapped exemption and ride a cart. He definitely is entitled to the exemption. My guess is that he just has strong personal feelings that the game of golf is meant to be walked. Like Jack Nicklaus and Arnold Palmer who said they would not compete seriously unless they walked.

Reactions: Obliviax
Lefty isn't going to do it. Ever sense he posited his commentary about the Saudi league, has seems to have been excommunicated from the PGA. He did the "I need work on being a better man" routine and hasn't been heard from since.

Can't wait for the week either way. Who does everyone like?
Let’s go Phil one more time!!!!

Um. Tiger not getting charged with anything is perhaps a huge story within itself.

Reactions: Parkland Fan
I am a little surprised that he doesn't claim a handicapped exemption and ride a cart. He definitely is entitled to the exemption. My guess is that he just has strong personal feelings that the game of golf is meant to be walked. Like Jack Nicklaus and Arnold Palmer who said they would not compete seriously unless they walked.
He has previously so stated. And Augusta sets the rules here.

He has previously so stated. And Augusta sets the rules here.
However, Augusta is probably bound by the Casey Martin Supreme Court case. Also, tournament is run in conjunction with PGA, which would also bring in the Casey Martin case.

Patrick Cantley. He's been as consistent as any one in the game the last couple of years. Seems like he's on the leader board in every tournament he enters

I like Sheffler. I live in Phoenix and saw the odds with my brother in law during the final round here. Said "I'd bet Sheffler on those lines!". We watched the Super Bowl and laughed when we saw the results. Guy's on fire.

However, Augusta is probably bound by the Casey Martin Supreme Court case. Also, tournament is run in conjunction with PGA, which would also bring in the Casey Martin case.

Respectfully I don’t think the PGA is involved with The Masters in any way, shape or form.

Respectfully I don’t think the PGA is involved with The Masters in any way, shape or form.
Money won in the Masters, for one, is counted in the official money winnings of the players. PGA rankings and the winning of PGA events qualifies PGA members for the Masters. (For instance, winning a PGA tournament qualifies you for the Masters.) Almost surely the rules of the PGA regarding the playing of the round and what is permissible and not permissible are used in the Masters. One's performance in the Masters (for instance winning it) would affect your eligibility for PGA tournaments. "A Masters win gives you a five-year exemption on the PGA Tour, and a five-year exemption into the U.S. Open, British Open and PGA Championship. You also receive an invitation to the following year’s Tournament of Champions, which takes place in Maui at the Kapaula Resort during the first week of January and is reserved only for PGA Tour winners." https://golf.com/news/tournaments/m...ion,and is reserved only for PGA Tour winners.

Essentially the Masters and PGA Tour work hand in glove together.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
The PGA is most certainly involved in the Master's, the rules committee consists of the most experienced rules and comps people in the world from the R&A, USGA & PGA. However, the tournament itself is an invitational and the weakest field major, by far. Many of the top "regular" tour events have stronger fields than the Masters due the previous champs always having an invite and the small field size. If you are a player that has the ability to win a major and you're invited, the Masters is your best shot. The Masters is an official money event for all major world golf tours, however unlike the other 3 majors it has its own system of of invitation and no play-in qualifying unlike the the other 3 majors. So basically the only the difference between the masters and any other "regular" Tour event is, of course, prestige, a field that is smaller than typical and a well outlined invitation process created by the the club's tournament committee.

The masters listens to the masters. They have their say in what happens. Regarding the field, I wouldn’t say weak. Past champs have exemptions etc but the field is not weak. Kucher who finished second last week is not playing in the masters because he didn’t make the cut.

I'll go with DJ. He seems to be rounding into shape when made the match play semis last weekend.

The masters listens to the masters. They have their say in what happens. Regarding the field, I wouldn’t say weak. Past champs have exemptions etc but the field is not weak. Kucher who finished second last week is not playing in the masters because he didn’t make the cut.
Nobody is saying the Masters has a weak field, what is being said is it is the easiest major to win because 1. there are less guys to beat and 2. some of those less guys they have to beat are not really major ready anymore. The Masters is the weakest field of the four majors. The Masters has between 80-100 players annually in the field, the other 3 majors start 156 so they have to beat 35% less players. The Masters is starting 91 this year, at least 10, probably more like 20 guys in the field would not be in the field at the US Open or British Open.

Reactions: dailybuck777
Word is, Tiger looks great and is walking the course with no problems although hasn't played competitively since his car wreck. Several players took last week easy to prepare. Where is Lefty? Scheffler has been playing great but the major winners have an edge when it comes to being able to handle the pressure on a Masters' Sunday.

Who have you got winning this thing? I think John Rahm has been the best player for the last two years. So it is hard to go against him.

• Sad
Reactions: Obliviax
Previous champions are getting a damn fine meal.... I'd go with the Wagyu. I make Miso glazed fish already; though, I'm sure "his" would be exquisite.

Starts tomorrow. Who do you like?

hideki-matsuyama-masters-champions-dinner-menu.jpg

Wiger Toods at -1, pretty impressive.

Juaquin Neiman and Scheffler look strong to me. Cam Smith in with a -4 but looks like he was at -6 at one point (cards aren't posted yet). Still several on the course.

The Masters is a marathon not a sprint. Jordan Spieth is the only wire to wire winner of the Masters since Raymond Floyd in 1976.
The course looks a little soft, could lead to better scores if the wind dies down. Conditions are everything.
Great to see Tiger out there doing his thing. He really played great.

Buckle your seat belts boys and girls, this could be a fun weekend.

tiger seemed to be consistently a little short on a lot of approaches yesterday. Perhaps a function of pins, but will be interesting to see if that changes a bit today.

Buckle your seat belts boys and girls, this could be a fun weekend.

tiger seemed to be consistently a little short on a lot of approaches yesterday. Perhaps a function of pins, but will be interesting to see if that changes a bit today.
I saw he had a wrap under his right pant leg a limped several times. I can’t believe he can keep his leg strength all weekend. But it’s great to see him. Scotty Scheffler came in with the largest lead in total points in history. He’s on quite a roll

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT