ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Mad Men (spoilers)

wbcincy

Apr 4, 2003
Columbus
Well, only 1 episode to go. It's a little odd to me for the next to last episode of the series to not include Roger, Joan, Peggy, etc.

Some thoughts:

1) I really enjoyed the 2 episodes preceding this one, but I didn't really care for last night's. I guess Don sees a young version of himself in that conning kid and wants to help him. Giving him a car isn't going to fix that the kid has no sense. Don finally tells people half his story and nobody attacks him for it. I thought that might be cathartic for him. But he still didn't mention the part where he stole that guy's identity.

2) Two episodes left and Weiner kills of Betty? Ok. Just stupid to do at this point in the show, IMO.

3) I actually really liked the resolution of Pete's life. He'd realized what was wrong with him long ago (see the speech w/ the girl getting electro-shock therapy while she's in a haze a couple seasons back), glad he finally corrected his former errors. Hopefully he meant it.

Any thoughts on how far forward we're going to advance for the finale? There was a couple weeks gone by between last episode and this one. Do we fast forward a couple months? Years?

I'd said before I just expect the show to end, no dramatic conclusion. But Weiner is such a ...strange guy that really just about anything is possible (other than Don being D.B. Cooper...come on people).

There were surprises, but overall I liked the episode.
Betty is handling her situation with considerable grace, and so is Sally, who is an intelligent, caring young woman. The amount of time Don spent in that small town was surprising, but I was interested in the story as he got out part of what happened in Korea and then interacted with the young kid. Looks like a return to McCann is out of the question, but Don seems to be coping.
Always liked the Trudy character, who was nice and supportive, not to mention Allison Brie being as hot as any character on the show. Good for Pete for making this move, though with Duck involved, we can't be sure there won't be problems.

I really don't know what to expect next week, which is probably what Weiner intends.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
I just DVRed all the episodes starting Wednesday. One of these days I am going to go back through and enjoy the entire series at once. Loved last nights show.

I think my problem with last night's show is really just my problem with how it's going to end. I loved the show as a character study throughout, but I just can't help but dislike that there's not going to be much in the way of resolution to end it. I like seeing things tied up, and obviously this show was never going to lend itself to that. I've known that, yet still am bothered by it.

There were surprises, but overall I liked the episode.
Betty is handling her situation with considerable grace, and so is Sally, who is an intelligent, caring young woman. The amount of time Don spent in that small town was surprising, but I was interested in the story as he got out part of what happened in Korea and then interacted with the young kid. Looks like a return to McCann is out of the question, but Don seems to be coping.
Always liked the Trudy character, who was nice and supportive, not to mention Allison Brie being as hot as any character on the show. Good for Pete for making this move, though with Duck involved, we can't be sure there won't be problems.

I really don't know what to expect next week, which is probably what Weiner intends.

I'm with you on this episode. Betty watched her mother slide away with cancer so she was prepared herself and saw the mistakes made with her mother but asked 16 YO Sally to take charge? That is a lot of pressure when Sally will be in mourning and still a child at heart. She is growing up very fast this year. I thought Betty was pregnant at first, big mistake.

The small town story line seemed contrived, the stereotypical car repair holding you over a barrel and cheating everywhere by the kid when the othes seemed so middle of America nice folks.

I didn't totally follow Duck getting Pete another job deal but I saw Pete eying Trudy for over a year now and was not surprised at that one. Trudy is the classiest lady on the show, elegant and wholesome, so far. Joan has the physical side down pat but when she offered to literally dump her child to live the high life I was done with her as she is capable of eating her own offspring.

I really thought Pete was a lock at the new firm. Now only Ted appears to be hooked and he is lost from the story line.

Peggy is a mystery to me but that ciggarette and octopuss sex poster Roger gave her are making her look quite tough right now. She may be the one to thrive at McCann.Erickson.

I suspect fireworks during the show next but also it may have an anticlimactic ending too.

This year has been fun to watch as action abodes in each episode, not like some middle years where character build up was boring.

Reactions: royboy
Really no idea where this is heading but my prediction is Betty's death brings Don back to NY and ends with him getting custody of the kids (and some sort of big resolution/movement with Sally). That, and Don will find an important, new career. There's still a lot to resolve and I doubt they'll get to all of it. I will say last night's episode, on Mother's Day, was heartbreaking. Betty got a bad rap but she was the best wife on the show (tied with Trudy) until she got fed up with Don's cheating. Her letter to Sally was so 'Betty' - sad and elegant, but encouraging and a bit self-absorbed (enclosing a picture of how she wants her hair to look in the casket) - it was really moving and sad to watch.

Pete reconciling with Trudy was nice to see but also a bit sad - Pete does seem better off now that he has some experience under his belt and he's damn lucky Trudy never had eyes for anyone but him (How the hell does that happen?). Still, could work out - then again, Pete and these airlines seem like some kind of harbinger of his dad's fate happening to him. My guess is we'll never find out either way.

Don having his 'come to Jesus' moment with fellow vets in Oklahoma was odd - it's just weird watching him be static. He ignored the urge to act like Old Don with the hot girl by the pool, and giving away his Caddy is another very strange act of kindness. Hope they can deliver next week - it's been a hell of a ride.

Joan has the physical side down pat but when she offered to literally dump her child to live the high life I was done with her as she is capable of eating her own offspring.

FWIW, I took Joan's offer to send her son away as sarcasm towards him, rather than a genuine offer.

Don, giving the car away and sitting there relaxed and at peace was a polar opposite ending of Harvey Keitel in the Bad Lieutenant also at peace but taking a couple of bullets instead.

Just what came to mind. Anxious to see next week.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT